Opinions on Maelstrom X7?

AirmanX

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks! I just ordered the Maelstrom X7 and should be getting it in the next few days. Before my purchase, I watched and read many thorough reviews of the X7 and was overall satisfied with the UI, specs (especially output) and ergonomics. I couldn't find many threads exclusively talking about how the X7 holds up over time, however. Most of the X7 threads were from when it first came out. I haven't seen many resent threads about the X7 (although this could be due to my newbness). Is there anyone who has, or had, the X7 and can vouch for its durability and/or longevity? Is there any noticeable green tint on the beam itself (I have hear differing statements about the tint). I don't mind a little green tint, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the performance of the light. I plan on using this X7 as my new work light, replacing my E2DL. My work environment can take a toll on flashlights, so I hope it'll hold up. Thanks in advance.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a neutral X7. It hasn't had a hard life as far as durability testing. It has a great beam and feels good in hand. I wish the low mode and medium modes were lower. Low ( not moonlight ) is a little too high and medium seems to be almost as bright as high.
I've run Redilast, Ultrafire, and Eagletac batteries and they have all worked well.
Hopefully your light will exceed your expectations.

AirmanX

Newly Enlightened
I have a neutral X7. It hasn't had a hard life as far as durability testing. It has a great beam and feels good in hand. I wish the low mode and medium modes were lower. Low ( not moonlight ) is a little too high and medium seems to be almost as bright as high.
I've run Redilast, Ultrafire, and Eagletac batteries and they have all worked well.
Hopefully your light will exceed your expectations.

Appreciate the post and insight. I hope it does as well. I heard is a decent thrower as well, according to some reviews, so I am looking forward to using it. Thanks!

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Appreciate the post and insight. I hope it does as well. I heard is a decent thrower as well, according to some reviews, so I am looking forward to using it. Thanks!

throw wont be to bad but considering its an xml with not a very large reflector, throw wont be spectacular, the new g5 with the xpg g2 emiiter will throw much better

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for about five and a half months. It was initially sent to me as a test/evaluation loaner. I used it during multiple low-light training courses and lent it to some students as well. Several of my co-workers tried it as well. It was dropped a few times during dynamic scenario training (simulating a shooting during a traffic stop) and while carrying it I got in the habit of playing with the very protruding tail-cap switch boot. It eventually tore so I decided to simply abuse it until it broke. I dropped it from about four feet...about ten times. Then I started throwing it up in the air between ten and fifteen feet onto concrete. Then I switched to moonlight and did the same thing over again with the light on. I dropped it on the bezel, side, tail-cap, etc. and no problems other than dings and scrapes (and less than I thought for those). The light started doing the funky about a week after the drop testing. I was figuring it was dying a slow death because it wasn't switching on or off reliably, but then I found the switch was just loose in the threads. A quick replacement boot from my 4Sevens accessory pack and a few turns of the little dual-prong tool and the light was back in business. I've used the original FourSevens CR123s, a set of Surefire CR123s, and currently use a Tenergy 18650 with no problems at all.

I like the modes and UI of the light, and was so impressed with the durability I bought it. I'll be carrying it tomorrow as it is our first night-shoot for the current academy class.

As for the tint, I never noticed any green-ness until someone asked me to check. I looked, told them "a little", but then started to notice it a little more. It doesn't bother me at all, and I like the balance of throw and spill. The reflector isn't huge, but it's comparable to a Streamlight Stinger and with the SMO reflectore, it throws well.

My biggest complaint about the light is the mode selection. I like the bezel twist UI, but I wish it was a little more positive in the modes...Something like the rotating selector on the older Fenix TA30...You sort of have to twist until the light decides to switch modes, then some pressure can "flash" the light mode up or down. If they could put that TA30-esq selector ring on everything else about the Maelstrom it would be awesome! The light works fine, and I love moonlight, so it's not a big deal, but it could be improved.

AirmanX

Newly Enlightened
throw wont be to bad but considering its an xml with not a very large reflector, throw wont be spectacular, the new g5 with the xpg g2 emiiter will throw much better

Yeah I figured the G5 would have much better throw. I might get that in the upcoming weeks. I am liking the X7. I just got it today surprisingly and so far I am liking this light!

SoCalDep: Thanks for the information! It sounds like the X7 held up pretty well to your tests. This is good! I will be taking this to work this thursday for sure. I also like the tint. The corona has a little green tint to it, but not very noticeable at all. The hotspot and sidespill is pretty white, and there are no darks spots are holes. So far, so good with the X7! My flashaholism is content.

Bwolcott

Enlightened
Yeah I figured the G5 would have much better throw. I might get that in the upcoming weeks. I am liking the X7. I just got it today surprisingly and so far I am liking this light!

SoCalDep: Thanks for the information! It sounds like the X7 held up pretty well to your tests. This is good! I will be taking this to work this thursday for sure. I also like the tint. The corona has a little green tint to it, but not very noticeable at all. The hotspot and sidespill is pretty white, and there are no darks spots are holes. So far, so good with the X7! My flashaholism is content.

glad your happy with it, its a nice light! enjoy