Is Surefire switching to a new black finish?

youreacrab

Enlightened
I've seen this on a few E2Ds/E2DLs now, but not on any other lights. Has anyone else noticed this new very-matte black finish on new Surefire lights?

e7uzeja6.jpg

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Seems like on some lights they switched to a very matte/flat black similar to parkerizing whereas their black used to be more of a satin black. I've seen it on the Executive defender models but not anywhere else. Any other reports of this in other lights?

Are you referring to the difference between SureFire BK (glossy, Type II anodized) and SureFire BKHA (flat, Type III hard anodized) ... or something else?

youreacrab

Enlightened
Re: Surefire's new Black HAIII?

No. I updated the OP to clarify.

Last edited:

youreacrab

Enlightened
Re: Surefire switching to new black finish?

anyone notice this on any other models?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The light on the right has what appears to be Type III Hard anodizing. The E2L Outdoorsman body i received today has it.

The light on the right looks like an E1B, which is listed on their site as also being Hard Anodized.

As you've noticed, not all Hard Anodizing looks the same, which I believe is partly (mostly) attributed to how smoothly the aluminum was polished before it was applied. My Malkoffs are smooth and semi-glossy, like the E1B in the above photo.

Grizz

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

havent seen it, but i sure do like the matte look.

how does it feel? does it feel the same as the E1B? looks like it would have a rougher more gritty feel.

is the finish holding up as well as other HA surefires?

samuraishot

Enlightened
I noticed the difference too right away when I received an E1E from Oveready. It is a much more rough texture. It's matte, like the E1B, but the E1B is smooth.

The rough texture is quite nice :)