The Elzetta two-mode switch

fyrstormer

Banned
I finally bought an Elzetta, to get the gear-lust out of my system. I decided to get the two-mode switch, because the single mode provided by the Malkoff module just isn't flexible enough for me.

I thought it was a two-mode momentary switch with the ability to twist for constant-on, like the two-mode switches used in some Surefire lights.

I was wrong. It's a forward-clicky switch (a silent one, no less!) with a twisty two-mode selector. :eek:oo: This makes it SO much better to use.

I'm now very glad I finally bought one. I'll probably end up buying another.

fyrstormer

Banned
The M6x modules are rated to 9 volts, right? I'd rather use a pair of RCRs instead of 3 primaries, but that's just me.

Either way, the Elzetta two-mode switch is great, I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the feel of the forward clicky? Does it have plenty of travel for momentary use before it locks on?

My only experience with a silent clicky (not an Elzetta) has been a little disappointing as I have trouble "feeling" when the switch is going to latch. I end up clicking it on when I only wanted momentary action.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Word of warning - this switch doesn't work well on 6P-type bodies, even if it is compatible with them. Unlike a Surefire tailcap which will have some friction even after it is twisted from its bottom position, this tailcap becomes very, very loose as soon as you untighten it at all. Considering that you need to twist it in order to get the low mode, it isn't really feasible in practice.

I'm sure it's better with the actual Elzetta body it was intended for. Just posting this here in case anyone else gets the bright idea of ordering just the tailcap to lego their Surefires or Malkoffs into two-mode lights.. I did. :banghead:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've been wondering how their two-mode switch works.

Its a resister/pin setup, like Gene uses in his bezels. As the pin contacts the lip of the body, low kicks in. The pin then compresses against the body as you tighten the tailcap, allowing the main ring (that the pin sits in) to reach the body, engaging high. Both modes allow momentary/latch.

archimedes

Flashaholic
How is the feel of the forward clicky? Does it have plenty of travel for momentary use before it locks on?

My only experience with a silent clicky (not an Elzetta) has been a little disappointing as I have trouble "feeling" when the switch is going to latch. I end up clicking it on when I only wanted momentary action.

It has less travel ( and softer "press" ) than the SureFire clicky switches....

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
The threads on the Elzetta two-mode switch are very short. I don't know whether it would work on a 6P body. Maybe if the 6P's threads were shaved down a bit to ensure the O-ring would seat inside the tailcap properly, it would work better. However, there would still be issues with mismatched anodizing. It might be possible to install the switch internals into a 6P tailcap to keep everything looking right, but I can't say if they would fit.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
The M6x modules are rated to 9 volts, right? I'd rather use a pair of RCRs instead of 3 primaries, but that's just me.

Either way, the Elzetta two-mode switch is great, I'm glad I decided to give it a try.

I've been ogling the 2-cell, low-profile head in two-mode for ages.
I think 'good' reports on 2xRCR would knock me off the fence. :]

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been ogling the 2-cell, low-profile head in two-mode for ages.
I think 'good' reports on 2xRCR would knock me off the fence. :]

What type of RCR123 report are you interested in? Runtime, brightness, etc would be related to the drop-in used.

Grizz

fyrstormer

Banned
Okay, here are my results.

Code:
         V     I     W    TStart  TEnd
2x16340  8.37  0.56  4.6  75F     93F
2xCR123  5.87  0.69  4.1  74F     93F

I see more wattage being consumed by the M60F when it's powered by two RCR123s (aka 16340s), but the temperature change when the light is run on full-power for 5 minutes is exactly the same. This tells me: wherever the power is going, it's not overloading anything and causing the driver or emitter to overheat. My guess is, the extra power is just being consumed by the driver to run the larger voltage conversion necessary when using an 8.4V power source instead of a 6V power source.

Last edited:

Al_D

Newly Enlightened
Okay, here are my results.

Code:
         V     I     W    TStart  TEnd
2x16340  8.37  0.56  4.6  75F     93F
2xCR123  5.87  0.69  4.1  74F     93F

I see more wattage being consumed by the M60F when it's powered by two RCR123s (aka 16340s), but the temperature change when the light is run on full-power for 5 minutes is exactly the same. This tells me: wherever the power is going, it's not overloading anything and causing the driver or emitter to overheat. My guess is, the extra power is just being consumed by the driver to run the larger voltage conversion necessary when using an 8.4V power source instead of a 6V power source.

Hmmm, reduced run-time for practically no increase in (light) output. I didn't see that coming (then again I'm not very familiar with the M60/F).
From what I've gathered from reading up on Elzettas and user experiences it doesn't seem like a 18mm tube will ever be made.

fyrstormer, thank you for sharing your results.

fyrstormer

Banned
There was bound to be reduced run-time anyway, because downconverting from a higher voltage (or upconverting from a lower voltage) requires power use of its own, and more power the greater the conversion ratio is. Also, RCR123s don't hold as much charge as primaries. The advantage of using RCRs is you don't have to throw them away when they run out of charge.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Word of warning - this switch doesn't work well on 6P-type bodies, even if it is compatible with them. Unlike a Surefire tailcap which will have some friction even after it is twisted from its bottom position, this tailcap becomes very, very loose as soon as you untighten it at all. Considering that you need to twist it in order to get the low mode, it isn't really feasible in practice.

I'm sure it's better with the actual Elzetta body it was intended for. Just posting this here in case anyone else gets the bright idea of ordering just the tailcap to lego their Surefires or Malkoffs into two-mode lights.. I did. :banghead:

I've been using the Elzetta two mode tail cap on my overready 6P for about two weeks and haven't had a problem with it being very loose when trying to use the low mode. Granted I rarely use the low mode but when I do it works well...

I think this is a great tail cap! When I first got it I wasn't sure I would like the ergonomics of the tappered tail or the softness of the press, but it has really grown on me.

Last edited: