Quick backyard comparison: Nailbender, Oveready (219 & XPG2), Surefire

RyanLF

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone! Long time lurker here, just thought I'd post some real quick backyard beam comparisons! I know the photos other users have posted have always helped me out a lot when deciding on a flashlight, I hope these can help someone too :) I'd be happy to answer any questions I can!

The camera was exposure locked and white balanced to daylight (5200K I believe).
Ectr5.jpg

I59i5.jpg

Epmmm.jpg

(T50 flux Bin 4C 4300K neutral white)

Rz5bn.jpg

(U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White)

tgTV2.jpg

Y9mx1.jpg

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots, and good job! About how far away from the tree trunk is the flashlight?

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does that XPG2 Triple really have more Throw than the XML? My older 1100 lumen XPG was only 5000 lux. The Nailbender XML was about 10,000 lux. Is the XPG2 that much better? Is that the new 1700 Lumen model?

RyanLF

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots, and good job! About how far away from the tree trunk is the flashlight?

Thanks! The tree is about 35ft (10.5m) ish from the light.

Does that XPG2 Triple really have more Throw than the XML? My older 1100 lumen XPG was only 5000 lux. The Nailbender XML was about 10,000 lux. Is the XPG2 that much better? Is that the new 1700 Lumen model?

I'm not sure if it throws better technically, but at the distances I tested, the triple XPG2 lit up the object more. I'm not sure if that's because of the output difference or if it really throws better. The XPG2 model listed is the current 1600 lumen model (I don't think there is a 1700?).

Great beamshots, I have the LX2 so it gives me a point of reference for the others.
Thanks for sharing.

No problem! I had hoped the LX2 would be a somewhat common reference point!

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Lighting up the object more" is not "Throw". That is Lumens. Your photos seem to show the object is brighter in the hottest part of the spot. That is "Lux", and it looks to me that your photo seems to show the Triple is at least equal or better to the lux of the XML. I have seen some modding done with the XPG2 in reflector lights. They have been getting 50% increases in Lux. I've asked Oveready about the performance of the XPG2 over XPG with optics, and they haven't commented on it yet.

Last edited:

blkdawg

Newly Enlightened
Have they reply yet?
interested in this drop-in, but i want it for throw not flood.

"Lighting up the object more" is not "Throw". That is Lumens. Your photos seem to show the object is brighter in the hottest part of the spot. That is "Lux", and it looks to me that your photo seems to show the Triple is at least equal or better to the lux of the XML. I have seen some modding done with the XPG2 in reflector lights. They have been getting 50% increases in Lux. I've asked Oveready about the performance of the XPG2 over XPG with optics, and they haven't commented on it yet.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
Thanks for posting these shots. I have the LMH H3N Nichia 219 dropin and was interested in a comparison beamshot of the XPG-2. I much prefer high cri and am willing to take some lumen-loss. These pics helped me a lot!