What are the benefits to a sapphire lens?

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
Hey guys, I was wondering what the benifits are to a saphire lendz, and can you get them for say a nitecore d-10/hanko d-10 anywhere? I heard people have gotten them for the LF2XT?

yliu

Enlightened
Re: What are the benefits to a saphire lends?

"Sapphire is not only highly transparent to wavelengths of light between 170 nm and 5300 nm (the human eye can discern wavelengths from about 380 nm to 750 nm), but it is also five times stronger than glass and ranks a 9 on the Mohs Scale, and much tougher than tempered glass" (Wikipedia.org)

From what I understand is that sapphire lens are be much more resistant to scratches, and maybe a somewhat more transparent (?).

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Sapphire is not only highly transparent to wavelengths of light between 170 nm and 5300 nm (the human eye can discern wavelengths from about 380 nm to 750 nm), but it is also five times stronger than glass and ranks a 9 on the Mohs Scale, and much tougher than tempered glass" (Wikipedia.org)

From what I understand is that sapphire lens are be much more resistant to scratches, and maybe a somewhat more transparent (?).

As far as I know it's less transparent than ar-coated mineral glass.

Last edited:

beach honda

Enlightened

Less light transmittance than an AR coated UCL, but more scratch resistant. Henry of HDS states his opinion that sapphire is more luxury than neccessity, but some folks like having all top shelf components.

Not sure where to source sapphire lens for your lights stated. :shrug:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

All McGizmo Lights have saphirre lenses, meaning that Don should know where to source those. Maybe you should ask him :)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Henry of HDS states his opinion that sapphire is more luxury than neccessity, but some folks like having all top shelf components.:

When asked, Henry is usually speaking in relation to his own designs, which include a shock mounted lens setup. In mere mortal setups, normal lenses do get broken.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sapphire windows are available in nearly any size you could want. There have been venders mentioned at cpf over the years. Some Google searching of cpf may turn up some urls.

In general, one may also just search the web for venders who sell parts to jewelers-- there are watch windows of sapphire for very nearly every watch crystal size and some watch crystals are very big indeed.

Does anyone out there have any idea why there are no sapphire windows with AR coating? Is there some good reason that that would not be cool?

Last edited:

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am fairly certain that the sapphire glass on my Omega constellation has a AR coating on it. You can see the rainbow when the watch is held in a certain angle under the light which I was told is the AR coating.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Does anyone out there have any idea why there are no sapphire windows with AR coating? Is there some good reason that that would not be cool?

IIRC, the McGizmo sapphire lenses are AR-coated on the inside surface.

I believe that the HDS sapphire lens option is also AR-coated (on both sides?), as well.

Most AR-coatings can be relatively easily damaged, however....

Last edited: