Surfire E1B Backup 80/110 lumens: how to recognize it?

kar120c

Newly Enlightened
I have a SF E1B bought as the new versione 110L; but I wish to know how can I be sure that it is the 110L version?
Mine was in blister and I don't remeber any advise that indicated the real output of the fl

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: I got my wires crossed on this one. The thing about the tail current difference was with the 120 L E2DL vs. the 200 L E2DL.

Check the current draw at the tail with a DMM. The 110 L version should draw somewhere in the 900-1000 mah range. The 80 L version had a lower current draw. Many of the older 80 L E1B's where mislabled and underated as Surefire did not update the specs for a long time after the transition. Mine is one of those, and it's current draw is on the higher end. Ive always thought it was brighter than 80 lumens. I know for sure now.

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
IIRC, someone said that Surefire really haven't changed anything with the light. It's like they just re-tested it and has come out that the output of the light is just really higher than their previous statement.

kar120c

Newly Enlightened
I have read on some forum that Surefire simply upgraded the software to obtain more output

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
This is a case of a "Surefire Lumen" compared to a ANSI Lumen. Surefire was notorious for under rating the output of their lights prior to ANSI standards being introduced. I asked them what the big difference was when the released the 110 lumen version. Surefire commented that the "new" version was tested to ANSI standards and that nothing has actually changed with light or its componants.

kar120c

Newly Enlightened
This should make happy 80L "version" owners
This is a case of a "Surefire Lumen" compared to a ANSI Lumen. Surefire was notorious for under rating the output of their lights prior to ANSI standards being introduced. I asked them what the big difference was when the released the 110 lumen version. Surefire commented that the "new" version was tested to ANSI standards and that nothing has actually changed with light or its componants.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously?? So will the 200lm model be ANSI or the aforementioned Surefire "otf"?

2bright

Newly Enlightened
I've got an original Backup and I don't see how they could improve on it too much. It is a extremely bright light for the size! I guess with a newer LED it could be better but it is great as is to me.

2bright

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking about Surefire and Backup...

Where is the new EB1 (200 lumens) Backup? Any news about it?

Sorry for the off topic.