PD30 conversion using TK12-EX for 18650 batt's

arrogantowl

Newly Enlightened
Hi there LED flashlight people,

I have been given a PD30 as a gift and now realize that i should probably have hinted at a PD32 (for birthday pressie) since i was after slightly longer run times on Turbo than i will get from a PD30

so before i start im well aware that i wont be able to fit 18650 batteries into a PD30, i did however notice that Fenix (in the UK) sell this TK12-EX "middle bit" of a torch that will allow for 18650 batteries. I Wondering if the screw threads for TK12 are the same as a PD30, if they are would getting one of these "extenders or adapters" mean i could run rechargeable 18650's? Just a long shot and i thought i would ask the question.

So second question, does anyone know long a PD30 would last on a set of fully charged AW RCR123A (750maH) Do you think i would get more than 70mins of run time on Turbo or Strobe setting?

I guess i am also curious as to how much longer strobe setting would last vs full Turbo mode?

Thanks in advance people

M

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there.
I doubt the TK12-EX adapter would fit on a PD30 buy could be wrong.
As for the AW RCR123A: I don't know what runtime you would get and if I were you, I would not try to find it out: I just googled the AW RCR123A you mentioned and their nominal voltage is 3.7 so they might fry your PD30.
RCR123 with a nominal voltage 3.2 might work fine though.

I have the PD30 and I gave up using rechargeables for it: I just use with primaries and bought other lights that work fine with Li-ions batteries. It still use the PD30 when I need to carry a light and compact flashlight.
You can find quality RC123 primaries fairly cheap online these days. If you want to use rechargeables, I suggest you get another light compatible with 18650. As far I know, RCR123 don't have don't offer the best runtimes anyway.

Last edited:

arrogantowl

Newly Enlightened
hey there,

Ref the TK12-EX adapter, umm that's what suspected, just wondering if anyone out there had tried it?

im told (by Fenix) that the PD30 will defiantly run on AW RCR123A @ 3.7volts

Having never tried the RCR123's i cant say i know first hand what their run time is like (just wondered if anyone out there knows compared to run time of the primaries) I don't really want to use it just with Primaries as now the winter is approaching i would end up going through 6 a week, way to expensive (well here in the UK they still are not that cheap) Ref you mentioning getting a seperate tourch for 18650, well i kind of want to have one torch for everything really).......

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had asked the same question to Fenix a while back and they said 3.7 V RCR123 might affect the mode selection or damage the circuit.
Personally I would not take the risk of ruining a good light - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-PD30-Warning-Do-not-use-any-RCRs-in-the-PD30
If you want to use RCR123 batteries, get some 3.2 LifePos at least: your runtime will be shorter than with primaries but you'd still be able to save money.

As for your second question, with SOS I guess you'd get more than 70 minutes even with RCR123s as the runtime should be similar to the high mode which is rated at over 7 hours with primaries.

Also, you can buy CR123 cheap on ebay from UK-based sellers. Best prices used to be from Germany or Dutch resellers though.

arrogantowl

Newly Enlightened
I had asked the same question to Fenix a while back and they said 3.7 V RCR123 might affect the mode selection or damage the circuit.
Personally I would not take the risk of ruining a good light - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-PD30-Warning-Do-not-use-any-RCRs-in-the-PD30
If you want to use RCR123 batteries, get some 3.2 LifePos at least: your runtime will be shorter than with primaries but you'd still be able to save money.

As for your second question, with SOS I guess you'd get more than 70 minutes even with RCR123s as the runtime should be similar to the high mode which is rated at over 7 hours with primaries.

Also, you can buy CR123 cheap on ebay from UK-based sellers. Best prices used to be from Germany or Dutch resellers though.

thanks for your link to your posting from earlier. The link here on the Fenix UK website does say that RCR123's are good for use with the PD30 - http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/batteries/aw-123a-rechargeable.html

I think that this is due to a new driver in the R5 version of this light (which i have) Can anyone else comment here.

Regarding the SOS mode yes i see thats good for 7hrs on the primaries. I was actually referring to strobe mode (it does not specifically say how long this lasts on primaries, but it runs at the same 257 lumens as the turbo mode, which is shown as lasting for 2h37 with primaries) Am guessing that strobe will run a little longer than that on primaries?, but till it last for 70mins on RCR123's

looking on ebay (quickly) i see that CR123A retail for aprox £1 each (so the cost will soon mount up if i use a lot)

arrogantowl

Newly Enlightened
i guess one option is to just sell my pd30 and get a pd32, can i list my pd32 on here (or is it against forum rules?) ; any UK takers for a unused pd30?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for your link to your posting from earlier. The link here on the Fenix UK website does say that RCR123's are good for use with the PD30 - http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/batteries/aw-123a-rechargeable.html

I think that this is due to a new driver in the R5 version of this light (which i have) Can anyone else comment here.

Regarding the SOS mode yes i see thats good for 7hrs on the primaries. I was actually referring to strobe mode (it does not specifically say how long this lasts on primaries, but it runs at the same 257 lumens as the turbo mode, which is shown as lasting for 2h37 with primaries) Am guessing that strobe will run a little longer than that on primaries?, but till it last for 70mins on RCR123's

looking on ebay (quickly) i see that CR123A retail for aprox £1 each (so the cost will soon mount up if i use a lot)
If you use it a lot on turbo yes, you might end up going through batteries quickly, if you use mostly low, medium, and high, the batteries will last a long time.

I would send the Fenix.co.uk site a mail before just to be sure, it might be a typo (e.g.: PD30 instead of PD31 or PD32). Also, note that this site must be a retailer and not a Fenix company website or an importer.
In the mail I had sent to Fenix China, I had pointed out that I had PD30 R5 and they still recommended not to use the RC123 with 3.7v nominal voltage so I don't think the R5 version has a driver designed for these cells.

In any case, there are a number of Fenix lights not designed to work with Li-ions but they do work with them: see the LD10 with a 14500. You still risk damaging the light though and the warranty won't cover for it.