2 related issues: Do you add salt to food?// Whats up with airsoft?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since these 2 subjects seem so similar, I figured I'd shoehorn them into the same thread..LOL

No, really I was curious about both subjects at the same time, so instead of opening 2 different threads I decided to lump them together which might get more mileage out of the thread too(probably not though). We'll see.

**Question 1: When you sit down to eat at home or at a restaurant, and you have a plate of food in front of you, do you automatically grab for the salt shaker and start sprinkling it on before you taste the food? Or do you taste the food first, then add salt most of the time? Or, do you rarely ever use salt? Or never?

Now, many processed foods already have salt in them, in some cases these foods already have lots of salt, but do you feel that even processed foods need more salt?

**Question 2: Whats the goal in Airsoft? I can easily see how you win in paintball(or lose), because if you end up with a big spot of paint on your body you have obviously been hit and you are out, but with airsoft, there isnt any paint spot, so how do you know if someone has been hit and how do you win or lose? Do you later remove each player's uniform and look for welts, and whoever has welts from the airsoft pellet has obviously been hit? (LOL) I dont understand how this works....

I'd love to get into it though, but I dont hear anything about Airsoft playing areas or groups of airsoft players in my boring area, so...

As far as salt is concerned, I used to be one of those who would sit down to eat, then grab the salt shaker and start sprinkling it on everything immediately, but for some unplanned reason, and quite some time ago, I quit using salt altogether. I probably only add salt in 1 out of 200 meals..... It wasnt like a planned decision to stop using salt on my part, it just happened.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The only time I use salt is when French fries don't have it, or enough of it. Other than that I don't have a use for it. I use more Splenda (oatmeal) and crushed red pepper (pizza).

Airsoft is for younger guys who want to buy "assault rifles" and can't afford them.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Question # 1 --

I would always add Salt to my food.

Even before i would TASTE it !

Just felt that it tastes even BETTER, when it's SALTIER !

Did this up until I was 57 years old . . . .

Then, i discovered i had High Blood Pressure ! :eeksign:

Had to reduce my salt intake.

For the past TWO YEARS, i have not added ANY salt to my food.

Not one single grain of salt added !

My salt-shaker is now for "decoration purposes only". :)

I now can taste the "included" salt in all my food.

Absolutely no NEED to add any of my Own.

Two items i thought would cause me problems:

- Boiled Eggs

- Sliced Tomatoes

Doesn't even Bother me anymore !
Not in the slightest.

And, the Best part of the story . . . .

Along with my daily BP medication, my Numbers are now * EXCELLENT * !

:twothumbs

Oh, and my pills cost only 3 Dollars a Month !

:thumbsup:
_

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like mentioned above, I only use salt for french fries that need them and nothing else, most fast food fries are salty enough but some restaurant fries usually need a few shakes.

Don't know much about airsoft.

H-Man

Enlightened
Airsoft works on the honor system. You call yourself out when you are hit (AKA calling your hits.) At some fields, the referee will randomly shoot players to test them during the game, not calling any hit and being caught gets a warning at first then an expulsion from the field for repeat offenders. Airsoft pellets don't really hurt unless you are at the receiving end of a well built AEG (my worst collection of welts was from when my glasses were so out of focus that I couldn't see the guy with the 140 m/s 30 rounds/sec firing .25 gram pellets in the bushes 6 meters away.)
I have just a JG AEG that clocks at 129 m/s and tops out at 20 rps with the stock battery (7 cell nimh.)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I taste first, then salt if it needs it. If making stuff myself, I usually know if its needs it or not already.

Airsoft is an honor based system for official matches, etc...and just to shoot each other if fooling around.

I use mine mostly to shoot the squirrels off the bird feeder.

:D

ssvqwnp

Newly Enlightened
These two topics can be more closely related than you might think...

http://youtu.be/-oYl-Lm9a6U

As for me, I don't add salt to anything. I like salt, but I don't bother putting any on my food. Having said that, I think it's better to cook most foods without salt, and adding to it after it's on the plate. You can taste it more while using less.

And airsoft... I've never played any matches, but I think I'd rather go play paintball versus pretend CoD. :D

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally add a bit of salt when cooking certain foods, almost never to food that is on the plate.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rarely use salt on my food. I definitely taste it before adding any condiment or seasoning to my food.

I once went to lunch with a coworker and he must have emptied 1/3 of a salt shaker and about 1/4 of a bottle of soy sauce on his plate before even trying his first bite. I had the same exact thing he had and it was perfectly seasoned for me, I only added hot sauce as a personal preference.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
These two topics can be more closely related than you might think...

http://youtu.be/-oYl-Lm9a6U

As for me, I don't add salt to anything. I like salt, but I don't bother putting any on my food. Having said that, I think it's better to cook most foods without salt, and adding to it after it's on the plate. You can taste it more while using less.

And airsoft... I've never played any matches, but I think I'd rather go play paintball versus pretend CoD. :D

That BugaSalt rifle is pretty cool! Thats a great idea. Its a bit silly maybe, but if you shoot it accurately at a fly sized target from a few feet away, you could take out some flies. Apparently it doesnt splatter the fly. It leaves it in 1 piece so you dont have fly guts all over! But, you will have salt lying around that has to be vacuumed or wiped up, thats the hole in this idea....

BTW: I called about the price of the BugaSalt rifle, because its not listed on their website, and its $30 apiece, or $50 for 2.

Last edited:

guardpost3

Enlightened
I cook alot of my own food and consider myself a damn good cook, so if I have to season something after it has been plated, I've done something wrong.

Airsoft = BB/pellet guns hurt too much. People that dont want to, are prevented from, or suck at paintball and think that paintball markers don't look real enough.

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I add salt to water when I steam veggies or boil noodles.
I usually cut the amount of salt in 1/2 when I cook a meal.
I rarely salt my food at the table - but eggs I usually do.

I tend to reach for the pepper grinder before tasting. Is that another thread?

Never got into airsoft. Paintball was okay, laser tag a drag.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Regarding salt:

Rarely an issue at home. When eating out, I always taste my food before adding to it. It's amazing that in this Day & Age there are professional cooks out there who still don't get it. Salt & Pepper as absolute basic seasoning in most cooked food.

Every few years in NYC we get some idiot safety-nazi trying to ban salt in restaurant kitchens, in a moronic effort to reduced sodium consumption among the Public.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I add salt to water when I steam veggies or boil noodles.
I usually cut the amount of salt in 1/2 when I cook a meal.
I rarely salt my food at the table - but eggs I usually do.

I tend to reach for the pepper grinder before tasting. Is that another thread?

Never got into airsoft. Paintball was okay, laser tag a drag.

Pepper could be another thread, but pepper isnt really bad for you though.

But salt(sodium) isnt actually bad for you per se. You need some sodium, and you'd die without it, but too much is a problem. I dont recommend consuming sodium in its pure form though, make sure its got some chlorine molecules attached, because pure sodium might tend to leave, well, we'll call them ulcers on its way down the hatch, and once it reaches your stomach, you're likely to have a heartBURN problem! It could be an explosive experience!

Last edited:

bstrickler

Enlightened
**Question 2: Whats the goal in Airsoft? I can easily see how you win in paintball(or lose), because if you end up with a big spot of paint on your body you have obviously been hit and you are out, but with airsoft, there isnt any paint spot, so how do you know if someone has been hit and how do you win or lose? Do you later remove each player's uniform and look for welts, and whoever has welts from the airsoft pellet has obviously been hit? (LOL) I dont understand how this works....

I'd love to get into it though, but I dont hear anything about Airsoft playing areas or groups of airsoft players in my boring area, so...

As far as salt is concerned, I used to be one of those who would sit down to eat, then grab the salt shaker and start sprinkling it on everything immediately, but for some unplanned reason, and quite some time ago, I quit using salt altogether. I probably only add salt in 1 out of 200 meals..... It wasnt like a planned decision to stop using salt on my part, it just happened.

Airsoft is similar to paintball, but far more cost effective. Rather than $40 for 2,000 rounds, you can get anywhere from 3,000-40,000 rounds for airsoft (depends on what quality your gun is. If it's a low-grade Walmart gun, you can get the pellets for that for a cheap price. If it's a high end gas blowback rifle, like a WE or Western Arms, prices for good ammo costs more.)

In terms of calling your hits, it's just like H-man says. It's based on the honor system. If you get hit, you call yourself out, and wait to "respawn", call for a medic, or wait until the next game/round starts.

When my spondylolisthesis wasn't causing so much pain, I played almost every weekend. I only shot gas blowback guns, other than for the sniper rifle I had (they hadn't designed a good gas blowback sniper rifle yet). Gas blowback rifles are more "realistic", and are great training tools (there's even rumours that law enforcement and military are starting to use them in place of simunitions, because the gas blowback airsoft guns operate just the same, and even have recoil, albeit only close to a .22 in terms of recoil.)

Personally, I prefer airsoft over paintball any day, mostly due to the cost, and in my experience, fewer elitists (if you didn't have a $1,000 paintball gun, you were considered a crap player).

Another plus for airsoft in my experience, is that if you buy the biodegradeable pellets (which is all I shot, because the brand I used were also the most accurate rounds I could find), you leave almost no trace after a few rainstorms, and if an animal decides to ingest some of them, it won't cause any harm (the ones I used were ~95% corn starch), whereas paintballs will stain concrete, tree's, and other things. Also, a high powered airsoft gun only fires pellets with an energy up to 4.5 joules (650 feet per second/200 meters per second with a 0.2 gram 6mm BB), while paintballs have about 15-20 joules of energy (68 caliber paintball is about 3.5 grams, and fields have limits of up to about 350 fps).

I've had a few paintballs cut me pretty good before, so that's another reason I stopped playing. Only had one bleeder from airsoft, and that was because I was shot at almost point blank range with it.

By the way, Airsoft has been around since the '70s (and you can still find those guns being sold and used in games today. Says something about the quality and reliability of the old school stuff!), and paintball since the '80s.

If there's anything else you want to know about airsoft, feel free to ask me.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was growing up in the mid 80's, nobody had heard of either paintball or airsoft, and there was this one group of crazy, over the top older kids, from like 15-19 who actually went out and played these types of sports, but used BB guns! My brother got shot in the butt with one of those BB guns that gets more powerful the more you pump it up, by this 14 year old chick when he was 13, and he still has the BB in his butt cheek! It went through his pants and about 1/4" through his skin!

I never took part in that insanity.........

But airsoft sounds cool.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
and he still has the BB in his butt cheek!

I would consider having the BB removed. Not sure of the type of metal that they are made of, but some of them can cause problems the longer they stay in. I would think that removing it from the butt would not be a big deal...

jellydonut

Enlightened
Airsoft is great fun, it relies on people acknowledging their hits rather than paint or whatever. Couple that with biodegradable pellets, and it's a much more versatile and practical hobby than paintball. You can bring your stuff and play airsoft pretty much anywhere.

I don't use salt on my food, except for when I cook it.