$10 Sportsmans Warehouse clearance reborn

ThreeEyedBandit

Newly Enlightened
For starters this is the first 'real light' I bought. Had great output but being my clumsy self every time I dropped it, it would pop the stupid 9v xenon bulb. So after three go around's with that I threw it in the drawer(along with a couple of mag-lites) and forgot about it for a year or so. So one day I way poking around on the EBay and on a whim I bought a couple cheap P60 SSC drop in modules to play with on my car of all things. They arrived and I was super disappointed in there output. Well a couple of days later I started to think about it and actually measure the current the LED was drawing and amazingly enough it was a little under an amp! So looking on the interwebs I found the data sheet on the AX2002 driver they where using and discovered this little thing called a sense resistor, and scouring a little more found that I can drive the P7 LED way harder. So being on a budget I stole one resistor off of the extra driver and just paralleled it on the other board and whammy!! 1.55 amps and way more light! Enough blabbing, here are a couple of pictures of the latter half of the project.

Here's the beginning and after look. Yup boring stuff..
IMAG0222-sm-1.jpg

Front housing, complete dropin, and extra 'parted out' driver
IMAG0223-sm-1.jpg

'Parts' driver missing resistor
IMAG0224-sm-1.jpg

Complete driver with extra resistor paralleling the stock sense resistor
IMAG0225-sm-1.jpg

Yeah that was a lot of story for nothing but I had fun, and ordered a couple real drivers to mess with. I think the extra module is going to end up in a polished brass with copper inlay bodied light with a 2.8 amp 3 amp mode driver. But that'll come once the parts arrive :D This stuff is silly addicting, and now I'm eyeballing a old D cell and mini mag light as more victims.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you aren't afraid of burning out the "spare" driver, you can try bridging where the sense resistor was and see if you can get even more current from the driver. That could end up burning out the driver though.

ThreeEyedBandit

Newly Enlightened
If you aren't afraid of burning out the "spare" driver, you can try bridging where the sense resistor was and see if you can get even more current from the driver. That could end up burning out the driver though.

I tried it by jumpering the resistor, but it was already powered up and all it did was shut down. But I didn't try it jumpered then powered on. I'll have to give it a try tonight.

Matt