Surefire L1 Rattle, HELP!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L1 (gen 6 - 65 lumen Cree) rattles. I thought maybe it was the 2-stage mechanism in the tailcap or the pocket clip. I took the head, tailcap and battery off and held the pocketclip down. The body still rattles. Somewhere in the guts of the assembly that's in the body, it rattles. Driving me nuts.

Is there a way to remove the driver and guts from the body without destroying it just so I can see what's rattling and either remove it or secure it? Behind the head, there's a flat black plastic piece with 4 "fingers" that lock into a groove in the body. I've fiddled with it and it doesn't appear to want to come out. Anybody removed one of these safely without damaging the light? I don't want to send it to SF just for something that doesn't affect the performance. It's always worked without fail 100%.

Thanks!!!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: After playing around with it at my desk at work (can't leave something alone once I start thinking about it), I managed to weasel the little plastic fingers out of the way by bending them inward and pulled the guts out toward the head. Very scared since I don't want to damage my favorite light, but there was a little piece of black plastic in there that may have cracked off the housing. It fell out, I popped the guts back in (the machining of this light where the module sits is AMAZING!) and it works perfectly with no rattle!

Latest posts