Got a free light from work today - woohoo

glowrdr

Newly Enlightened
So, I ordered my first light online earlier this week (ETA Saturday). Today, my work gives me a goody bag from some golf event they help. Got a little soft sided cooler (6 pack variety), pair of decent binoculars (unsure of brand, but they are decent, heavy, and come with a nice little case), a thermos, can cozey, and a flashlight!

What suprised me, was this is a 6" light (guestimate), and has a 3 AAA "pack" that powers it. It's aluminum (?), orange and has a clicky on/off, with mode change being 1/2 button press. 200/60/strobe. Not too shabby for a freebie if I don't say so myself. Kind of ironic that I got it 2 days before my Fury comes. I chose a tactical for my first one, and figured I could pick up a multi-purpose next. This won't exactly replace a high quality light, but it still is certainly better than anything else I have in my arsenal at the current time.

glowrdr

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the extremely washed out photo. iPhone 4, right next to a lamp. :sigh:

560928_4536280056033_997656736_n.jpg

Don't worry - those batteries won't come anywhere near the inside of this. Just wanted to show size

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That seems like a nice free light.

Hummm, maybe a Li-ion battery would fit. Maybe a 26500 or even a 26650 battery. Would give lots of runtime (but might burn out the light depending on how it is set up).

Last edited:

glowrdr

Newly Enlightened
That seems like a nice free light.

Hummm, maybe a Li-ion battery would fit. Maybe a 26500 or even a 26650 battery. Would give lots of runtime (but might burn out the light depending on how it is set up.

Interesting idea. For the price, I'm willing to give it a go. If that fails, I can always just pick up a SF g2 for my handy light. I'll have to look into that. Just needs to be as tall as an aaa, but thicker

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Measure the outer diameter and length of the battery carrier, then find a battery that can fit in there. A 18500 should work with a sleeve, not sure about the 26500.

If the light is depending on the battery's internal resistance to control the current, then you might overdrive the LED with a Li-ion rechargeable. I'd also check the heatsinking to make sure you aren't cooking the emitter on high.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] Kind of ironic that I got it 2 days before my Fury comes. I chose a tactical for my first one, and figured I could pick up a multi-purpose next. This won't exactly replace a high quality light, but it still is certainly better than anything else I have in my arsenal at the current time.

We're expecting a head-to-head review & "shootout" of the two lights in your next update. :devil:

Latest posts