Olight S10 magnet can be taken out. JPG link by Raltm Post 52 or PDF link at Post 71.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread is only for those that "choose" not to use the magnet or are just plain interested in doing it for someone else or later for themselves.

Also you may have to have the triangular spring base in the tailcap to be able to take the spring out as in the photos below.

There are pros and cons to the choice of leaving or taking the magnet out.

NEW UPDATE!!

Jump down to Post No71 and it will explain all the mysteries of the Magnet Removal and how new tailcaps or a White Traffic Wand are being offered by Olightworld to those that have the Non-Removable Magnet version of the Olight S10.

PLEASE NOTE:
Chec
k the photos out below and the one in Post 24 as there is two different types of springs being used in the Olight S10s tailacaps.

Some owners have described a different spring to the one our lights have that have been shipped to Australia.

The spring we have seems like it is made so that the magnet can easily be taken out.

CAN SOMEONE WITH THE OTHER TYPE OF SPRING PLEASE POST A PHOTO OF IT?

I received my Olight S10 today and immediately took out the small centre magnet by releasing the spring holding the magnet in place by prising the edges out from under the recess that is on the light body.

I put the spring back in place and everything works well still without that pesky magnet.

I did this for the reason that the S10 sits too close to my wallet in my bag and don't really need it getting caught on my keys and other ferrous metal objects.

If you Google "Magnets damaging Magnetic Striped Cards" the jury is mixed about whether it can do it and all of the conditions to be met before it can damage a card.

After doing your own research on Google etc, if you want to keep the magnet in place just be aware of possible Credit Card erasures or any possible problems with any other magnetically striped cards or keep it well away from your wallet or bags

In the garage would be a safe distance for me.

My magnet and the dealer I just got my S10 from have had no trouble removing the magnets.

There were no signs of glue at all on either side of the magnet.

Once I prised off that brassy looking spring and turned it upside down the magnet in both of our lights just fell out.

Has anybody had any success at removing the magnet apart from my mate and I?

I am now wondering who got which designs, by batch, Country or updated design or what?

Now we have a CPF member ohio72 stating that he was able to remove the magnet from an S10 with the round spring by using another magnet inside the tailcap to pull the original magnet out.

I give up on this one.

UPDATE : Raltm has posted the solution to our problem on Post 52.

IMG_6802.jpg

The magnet just sits underneath the middle of the spring. This is how it is running now without the magnet.

IMG_6805.jpg

IMG_6793.jpg

CHEERS :)

Last edited:

MattSPL

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip :)
Does the spring fit back properly without rattling?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight S10 magnet can be taken out easily, no more possible Magnetic Card worries

I think whomever came up with the "brainy idea" to put magnets on lights should immediately be removed from the "brainy idea" committee.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Olight S10 magnet can be taken out easily, no more possible Magnetic Card worries

Thanks for the advice. I have taken out the spring but the magnet did not budge, any additional tip?

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip :)
Does the spring fit back properly without rattling?

No rattling or problems with mine so far.

I just shook it all over the place and no rattling was felt or heard.

If it did rattle the only thing that could be done IMHO would be to put something back where the magnet came out just to fill the gap up the same size of the magnet that came out.

It would not have to be something that carries electricity, just plastic, wood or whatever.

But I don't think it is necessary so far as I can tell, and I am running an RCR123A in my S10.

Cheers

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think whomever came up with the "brainy idea" to put magnets on lights should immediately be removed from the "brainy idea" committee.

I do remember a flashlight by "Eveready" that had two cells and it had a magnetic couple of short rails on the side.

That is going way back but.

Cheers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I have taken out the spring but the magnet did not budge, any additional tip?

My magnet just fell out and I could see it moving slightly before the spring came out.

My mate and I were wondering before I took my magnet out whether they could also use a drop of glue behind it but I don't see a need to glue it when the spring loaded up with battery would easily put enough pressure on it to keep it from moving around.

Maybe it needs a little gentle persuasion to move it out.

Can it lift out with a round piece of steel to attract it to it?

It will be interesting to hear if anyone else has your problem.

Cheers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are trying to get the smaller round centre section out, aren't you?

Cheers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have not seen any other posts on removing the magnet from the Olight S10, so this is really where some exchanges of ideas and methods should come together for anyone who has a problem with the magnet not budging.

I do not understand why mine came out easy as pie.

Olight would surely make them all the same, wouldn't they?

Cheers

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, this is what I did to no avail. After removing the spring I put an iron rod in contact with the center but the magnet did not come out. I gently warmed the tailcap to get some dilatation, no result. I dropped the tailcap on a hard wooden floor, nothing. Finally I dropped it on a stone floor, nothing. The magnet does not move or even turn in its seat.

I tend to believe that the magnet is glued to the tailcap except that in your case the girl doing this operation was answering her mobile or something like that and let your specimen go on unglued. :p

Other cases? :popcorn:

MattSPL

Enlightened
Does the whole inner section of the tail come out, including the metal lip that the spring sits under?

Mine won't budge, but I did 90% neutralise the magnet with a soldering iron.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Last attempt: I put a similar magnet against the one in the tailcap holding it with pliers, the force needed to separate the two was really high but still the magnet did not come out.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the whole inner section of the tail come out, including the metal lip that the spring sits under?

Mine won't budge, but I did 90% neutralise the magnet with a soldering iron.

I took off the spring by fiddling a bit with some small tweezers and a small screwdriver to get the spring out of the tailcap.

I then tipped it upside down and out dropped the small centre magnet, about 1/4 inch round if that.

I don't know why anyone else's light would be any different.

Cheers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Last attempt: I put a similar magnet against the one in the tailcap holding it with pliers, the force needed to separate the two was really high but still the magnet did not come out.

The only thing I can think of would be that a spot of glue was used in some batches.

Maybe you could heat it up in some very hot water and see if the glue lets go, if glue is what it is.

Has anyone got any other ideas apart from drilling through the centre of the thin base behind the magnet to push it out from behind?

Cheers

MattSPL

Enlightened
I took off the spring by fiddling a bit with some small tweezers and a small screwdriver to get the spring out of the tailcap.

I then tipped it upside down and out dropped the small centre magnet, about 1/4 inch round if that.

I don't know why anyone else's light would be any different.

Cheers

Ok, so it's just the small disc that comes out directly below the spring.
I'll have another go at it, but it seems to be glued.

Cheers
Matt

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do remember a flashlight by "Eveready" that had two cells and it had a magnetic couple of short rails on the side.

That is going way back but.

Cheers

Yes, but they had an excuse for it, because their lights with the magnet did not fit into anyone's pocket, and there were no credit cards with magnetic strips back then. Typically, the use for the magnet was to hold the light on to the outside of their big metal tool box, so that the light didn't take up any room inside the box. I never saw anybody use the magnet for anything else but that.

Norm

Retired Administrator

Magnetic stripes on credit cards are being phased out as chip cards take over.

I found you really need to contact the stripe and wipe the magnet over the stripe repeatedly to have any real destructive effect.

YMMV

Norm

MattSPL

Enlightened
I just had another go at removing the magnet.
I ran around it with a blade, and used a small screwdriver to try and lever it up.

I still couldn't get the magnet out, but did chip a small piece off the tip edge in the process.

Cheers
Matt

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to keep hard drive magnets in my pocket next to my wallet. I never had even a cheap, paper-based photocopier card be affected. Degaussing really takes an oscillating field (As Norm mentioned) to be effective. That said, I can see why you guys may want options. Shiny magnets are usually nickel-coated brittle things. I bet tapping with a chisel will both break the magnet and release the glue hold. Good luck! Wear eye protection.

Edit: Some people DO kill their cards with magnets. But a good, hard metal (Not a screwdriver) should be able to crack the magnet. This may be the first step to loosening the glue.

Last edited:

MattSPL

Enlightened

I tried hitting a screwdriver with a pliers, and couldn't budge the magnet, but it did chip.