Olight M20-X problem?

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF'ers,

I've got an Olight M20-X in NW. I can detect a buzzing noise throughout all the modes. The buzzing on the low mode is very low. You have to put your ear next to the light to hear it, but it's there. When I cycle to medium, the buzzing gets louder. On high, the buzzing is the loudest, and it's very audible. Could this be something called inductor whine? Don't know too much about it. Will this wear out my flashlight faster? Does it decrease the efficiency, or output? Should I be contacting Olight, or is this quite normal and not something to worry about?

Thanks in advance,
"J" man

yliu

Enlightened
I have the M21X and I can hear no buzzing, but some of my other lights do buzz. In one of selfbuilt's video, he talked about this buzzing and that it's normal. It comes of a coil where the wire starts to vibrate as electricity goes through it.

herosemblem

Enlightened
Normal. Well, I have owned a few lights that did that. All were fine. Many google discussions on this topic.

david57strat

Enlightened
Hello CPF'ers,

I've got an Olight M20-X in NW. I can detect a buzzing noise throughout all the modes. The buzzing on the low mode is very low. You have to put your ear next to the light to hear it, but it's there. When I cycle to medium, the buzzing gets louder. On high, the buzzing is the loudest, and it's very audible. Could this be something called inductor whine? Don't know too much about it. Will this wear out my flashlight faster? Does it decrease the efficiency, or output? Should I be contacting Olight, or is this quite normal and not something to worry about?

Thanks in advance,
"J" man

I've read about buzzing sounds from flashlights, but have never expereinced it. I, too, own an M20-X, and the only sounds it prouces are the clicking sounds from the tailcap switch, or the side switch. How long have you had the light?

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
I've had it since last X-mas. It always bothered me, but then it started to bother me even more when I recently found out that another person's M20-X doesn't make that noise. Kind of annoying. Is it something I can get fixed through Olight warranty? Thanks for the replies.

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
I've had it since last X-mas. It always bothered me, but then it started to bother me even more when I recently found out that another person's M20-X doesn't make that noise. Kind of annoying. Is it something I can get fixed through Olight warranty? Thanks for the replies.

If it bothers you then it would absolutely be worth contacting Olight to see if they would be able to fix it.

"J" man

Newly Enlightened
OK, thanks for all the input guys. I guess there's more to the light lottery than just the tint. But if you guys say its no biggie, than I'll leave it alone. I just hope this issue doesn't decrease the performance or life of the light. If the only downside to the buzzing is just noise, I can live with it. Thanks again.