Output always correct listed (e.g. SF LX2)?

illuminate

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I own a LX2. When I compare the two outputs I can not believe, that the high (200 lumens) is about 13 times brighter than the low output (15 lumens).
Does anyone have measured the actual outputs from various lights (incl. the LX2)?

Best regards
Julian

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, like many things in physics and the nature, our perception of brightness is subject to the square root of the increase, so (200/15)^0.5=3.65 or 200 will appear about 3.65x as bright as 15lms. Increasing brightness is really subject to the law of diminishing returns since battery power and runtimes are, unfortunately, quite linear with lumen changes. So despite being only 3.65x as bright, the runtime will be around 1/13th as long. This is similar to motor vehicles which need about 4x the horsepower to double speed.

One of the reasons I'm a big low lumen fan.

ico

Enlightened
The high mode is 13 times higher on numbers only but as others has posted, the perceived brightness is only 4 times

I bet you're also getting the doubt because you are testing the light in a highly lit area so the modes does not really differ. I would suggest you try a ceiling bounce test. Go to a dark room, preferably as dark as possible then after a few second in the dark for your eyes to adjust point the light at the ceiling and open the light in low mode. Look at your surroundings then turn the light to high, you could really see the difference there since the objects will be much clearer when the light is on high than low

Last edited: