OTF lumens increasing on Maelstrom S12?

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Ok, I've owned my Maelstrom S12 for about 6 months now and bought it from my brother who had bought it new a month before. Both of us really liked the light before purchase. Basically a very good looking, compact, and powerful light. After my brother bought it he was very disappointed with its power output. In my lightbox we tested it at 678otf and a throw of 9500 @ 1m. Visually it didn't look much better than my Quark Turbo X or his Eagletac T20C2. So he sold it to me since I still liked it and wanted to give my S18 a little brother.
Well here is where it gets weird. Every few months, after we have acquired enough new lights we do a full test of all of our lights. So about 3 months go we did this full test. To our surprise the S12 was now putting out 885otf. And lux was up too. We figured maybe the SST90 being brand new the first test maybe wasn't "broke in"? Either way I was happy since the little light now put out what it was suppose to and then some.
So now fast forward to yesterday. A hand full of new lights justified a full battery of tests again. And guess what? My S12 has gained even more power. The little light is now 920otf after 30sec. and has increased the lux to 13,400 @ 1m. So what gives?
We usually test anywhere from 20-40 lights at a time and no other light has shown any significant increase like this. All stay with in a few percent of the original testing numbers. Is this light being "burnt in" like some members here have done using hot batteries, but mine with just with the stock 4sevens 26650? I don't use the light too much, just occasional get it out to play with stuff. Of course I'm happy with the results, just a little stumped with its power increase of about 25% since new.
I was likely going to let vinhnyguen64 get his hands on it to boost it up like he has done a few other S12's. I guess I still will since my little light obviously has the desire to a little powerhouse :).
Anybody have a good guess why my lumens have increased?

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Nope. Still the original 4sevens 26650 battery that was installed when it was new. Battery has been topped off maybe two times now, though it wasn't that low. And it was full charge at testing each time.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Maybe the removing and replacing the battery cleaned the contacts a bit, decreasing the resistance.

Try cleaning all the contact points and see if you get any improvement.

Jay T

Enlightened
There have been threads in the past saying that the sst90 benefits from a little break in. Fresh ones will sometime have a high Vf, even in direct drive from an IMR they can only draw 3-4 amps. If you look at some of the custom build threads people will sometimes break em in with 4 NiMh batteries.

Some discussion about SST-90 break in here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ry-VS-Maelstrom-S12-Direct-Drive-on-IMR-26650

Last edited: