The baby Elephant

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently, I built an 15.5Amp CBT-90 light based on FM Elephant with FM3V turbo head.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?343866-King-of-the-Elephants!-FM3V**CBT-90**15-Amp

Wife fell in love with it & confiscated it, claiming use for self defense when intruders break in to our house. She is no flasholic & usually could care less about my lights. The beauty of the Elephant is the hour glass figure, which is universally recognized as key element of beauty regardless of what it is.

She asked me why so big, why don't they make a smaller one,? just like this, but smaller? Not possible, I said, the host is made by this guy called Five Mega on CPF, he's not going to make a smaller elephant.

Fast forward a few wks, it's always in my head, I know FM isn't going to, but could I made one my self? A baby Elephant next to the mother Elephant would be cool
smile.png

Here you go, this is my attempt at creating a Baby Elephant:

1. The head, shown to the left is a fluted Mag D head that has a mag D to Mag C adapter installed. The adapter is made from Mag C head, grind it down all the way & JB weld it to the inside & bottom of the mag D head.
dscf2650s.jpg

A similar example of how to made Mad D to Mag C adapter:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?288981-Mag-C-to-D-Adaptor-DIY

2. Switch section of the Mag C is used for the neck, with the end grind down to expose the bare alu for conductivity to baby elephant body shown next to it.

The baby elephant body is made from a section of Mag D tube, with tail cap fitted on both ends, the top one grind a big hole to fit the Mag C tube.
dscf2652r.jpg

Top view:
dscf2655n.jpg

3. Finished look, the Elephant family photo
smile.png
Baby Elephant on the Left; Mom, FM3V Elephant in the Middle; Dad, Darth Vader on the right:
dscf2664q.jpg

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Looks really cool!

Nice family portrait, I notice the baby hasn't grown teeth or a shiny outer coat yet :p

Hoop

Enlightened
Wow! That is a slick piece of work. What emitter/bulb and batteries do you plan on using in this one?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

The U3 is pee green S-bin, maybe later when new bins show up.
I am using the U2 which is white

Nice fun build :).

I'm running the Led-tech U2 @ 5A in my dads Mag2D build (thread coming up soon) and it rocks hard :).

The mag C neck can't hold as big of heat sink, so I chose 12x7135, 4.2A
However, Baby Elephant's dad, the Darth Vader is U2 Copper PCB driven to 6.5Amp :)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice long weekend allows me to get back & finish the light.

Baby Elephant Next to a Camo Mag 1D
I used to think Mag 1D is cute, now think again, it looks chubby next to teh baby elephant
smile.png

dscf2688u.jpg

Picture of light engines. Both have the excellent led-tech.de copper pcb U2, both are 12×7135 4.2A driver. The baby elephant used full copper heat sink to make up it's smaller size.
dscf2680t.jpg

One thing worth mentioning is that single 26650 IMR could not get 12×7135 up to 4.2A unless tail cap resistance mod is done. Here both tail cap had the the "resistance mod",
basically solder a copper braid solder wick that connects top of the spring to bottom.
It's hard to see the copper braid on the baby elephant tail cap spring, but it's there
dscf2676i.jpg

Both light has pretty amazing output & throw, the Mag 1D does 63K lux & baby elephant did 65K lux.
This is not done yet, I am getting some sharp razer blade to cut the dome off,
I like the other de-dome thread as slicing the dome & leave a layer behind will keep the protection & possibly raise the throw over 100K lux

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the baby elly! :twothumbs Mommy and Daddy are nice too! :)

... end before someone reminds me, I know this is an old thread. :tired: