Need info on Streamlight TLR-1

singularity35

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I searched but could not find the info I needed. If this is not the right place to post this, Mods please move to the proper place. I would appreciate it if any of you can fill me in.

First, does the TLR-1 fit on a glock 19? How are the ergos? I mean switch placement and how the light sits on the gun.

Second, how does the light perform? Is it bright enough? Thowy or floody? Or good all around? How does the light handle the stress of the weapon being fired?

I"d like to express my thanks in advance.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
The TLR-1 will fit the G19. The ergonomics are fine, and a person with average size hands shouldn't have a problem reaching the toggle switch. Streamlight also has a new rigid pressure switch attachment available for Glocks in case the toggle isn't conducive to your shooting style or you want more instinctive activation. The TLR-1 beam is nice. It's a mix of throw and flood and the light will handle the stress of firing with no problem.

Biggest issue I've seen with the TLR series is people not tightening the screw enough and the light falls of the gun during firing. tighten it, and check it, and it shouldn't be a problem.

I like the X300 more, but you can buy two TLR-1 lights for the same price, and it works very well.

redline8k

Newly Enlightened
I have a tlr-2 and love it. its really easy to remove but like SoCalDep said make sure its tightened well and you should be good to go!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run the TLR-1 on my duty Glock 23 and have additional ones for my other firearms.
Make sure the light is tightened down really well. I had one fly off the gun during a night training. I saw another one actually get shot when it came off the weapon.

Overall it is a very fine light at the price and it is hard to find anything better at the price. Of course Surefire is a more robust light but it is considerably more money.

singularity35

Newly Enlightened
I run the TLR-1 on my duty Glock 23 and have additional ones for my other firearms.
Make sure the light is tightened down really well. I had one fly off the gun during a night training. I saw another one actually get shot when it came off the weapon.

Overall it is a very fine light at the price and it is hard to find anything better at the price. Of course Surefire is a more robust light but it is considerably more money.

Is there a big risk of stripping the screws when tightening? Do the screws loosen? Is loctite a possible solution?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The screw is captive. I torque mine down really hard. It will not strip.
I would not loctite so it can be removed. Most training sessions run several hundred rounds, most actual gunfights run less than a magazine. If it is tight I wouldn't worry about it for home defense.

singularity35

Newly Enlightened
The screw is captive. I torque mine down really hard. It will not strip.
I would not loctite so it can be removed. Most training sessions run several hundred rounds, most actual gunfights run less than a magazine. If it is tight I wouldn't worry about it for home defense.

That's very comforting to hear. I appreciate the feedback very much.

Chowser

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tried it on my Glock 32 (same size as your 19), but I have the TLR-1 C4 on my duty weapon (Glock 31). I have had versions of the TLR-1 since the halogen bulb days, then the LED, and now the C4 LED.

Amazing light. It has worked fine on my Glock 31 (and Glock 22) before that. I tighten it down with a nickel. No need to crank it on like there is no tomorrow. I've never had it come off (so far I've gotten a few thousand rounds through my gen3 31 and now it is on my gen4 31 with over 1000 rounds). This thing is tough and Streamlight's warranty is hard to beat. I have not had to use the warranty yet on any of my LED models. I killed a halogen model years ago by using too powerful a battery (3.7V instead of the required 3.0V) and Streamlight replaced it.

The TLR-1 is kind of big on the 31, so it will be big on your 19. It fits the Glocks just fine and I can reach it with my trigger finger for activation. I have a TLR-3 on my FNS-9. I will find the key for Glock and put it on my 32 so you can see a picture of the TLR-3. (My TLR-1 is at work and I am not back to work till Friday).

Will try to get a picture tonight or tomorrow for you.

Of course the TLR-1 is brighter and has easier to obtain batteries (CR123). The TLR-1 uses two CR123 batteries (can be had for about $1 each if you buy in bulk). The TLR-3 uses a CR2 battery. Costs just a little more.

Both are fine lights.

I had the TLR-3 on my AR15 and it withstood full auto firing, so on my puny handgun, it should be ok.

here, for now i have some old pics on imageshack already.

FNS-9 with TLR-3
img3340t.jpg

Glock 31 (gen3) with TLR-1
p1030816t.jpg

lucky for you, I found an old pic I did. Glock 32 with TLR-1 (ignore the Glock 31 with cheap SIG lite)
http://imageshack.us/a/img577/6619/23363812.jpg

HK P2000 with TLR-1
http://imageshack.us/a/img142/7701/p2000biu6.jpg

PSA AR15 with TLR-3
http://imageshack.us/a/img72/1079/dsc01978sm.jpg

Hope that helps.
the third picture is the one you really want with the Glock 32 with TLR-1.

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

singularity35

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the detailed and well written post. That addresses a lot of the questions in my mind.

One more question though, the battery option listed is 2XCR123, can it also take 1X18650?

Chowser

Newly Enlightened
For a little less run time, you can use two rechargeable 123 batteries. RCR123A or something. Just make sure they are the 3.0V type. I seem to get over an hour on these if I just leave the light on. Which I normally don't. I use an OLight M20 as my primary hand held (screw the ancient Maglite Magcharger in the car)

DO NOT USE 3.6V or 3.7V batteries.

At work in my TLR-1, I use rechargeable 3.0V batteries and keep two extra on my belt along with an extra 18650 for my OLight M20 (which has battery compartments in the holster).

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
Below are some pics of a TLR-1S on my Glock 19.

You can see how much it sticks out from the muzzle, so just be aware that if you shoot a lot with the TLR light on the G19, you're going to start to see some wear in the finish on the top of the light housing. It doesn't have any affect on the light itself, other than just wearing away the finish.

Fit & feel are great on the G19. It's on there tight, as I usually just tighten down the screw by hand, and then use a coin to do another quarter turn to tighten it more. No need to really torque it down tight. The controls are also in the perfect spot for me, as it feels very natural for my resting thumbs to press on the light switch. Activating the strobe is also very easy to do without loosening up or changing my grip.

I'll take some pictures of the actual burn/wear on the light later tonight.

G19_TLRs_1.jpg

G19_TLRs_2.jpg

brag

Newly Enlightened
+10 to all the above.

I've never had one fail, and I've shot lots on a 9mm and 40 Glock, and 10x's more on AR's

On an AR, I use a DD fixed front site, and put the light forward of the front site at 12 O'clock, simple and easy no fuss way to add a light. The larger reflector model throws a nice tight beam, perfect for some rifles.

singularity35

Newly Enlightened
+10 to all the above.

I've never had one fail, and I've shot lots on a 9mm and 40 Glock, and 10x's more on AR's

On an AR, I use a DD fixed front site, and put the light forward of the front site at 12 O'clock, simple and easy no fuss way to add a light. The larger reflector model throws a nice tight beam, perfect for some rifles.

I'm glad to hear that it's rugged and reliable. Thanks

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
Here's what happens when you shoot about a 1000 rounds through a Glock 19 with a TLR-1s (it has the 1911 bracket on there now since I pulled it off my TLE/RL.... no burn marks when using a 5" barrel gun).

No problem with the light, and after about 200 rounds you need to wipe the filth off of the lens and then keep on shooting.

TLR-1S_Burn1.jpg

TLR-1S_Burn2.jpg

And another old pic I had uploaded from awhile back.

TLR-1s_Lights.jpg

singularity35

Newly Enlightened
Wow! Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. I'm even more excited to get my light now. Shipping takes 2-4 weeks for me though but your pics are keeping my spirit up.

Last edited:

singularity35

Newly Enlightened
So thanks to all of your helpful responses I made the decision to get a tlr-1s. I have it now and it seems to be what I need. I live in a secluded area and I often do security checks around my house and premises at night. I found that it was harder to open doors and gates while I was holding a light in my other hand. Not to mention shooting with one hand if worse comes to worst(keeping my fingers crossed against that) I therefore decided on a weapon light. That's where your feedback was important to me because I had a budget to stick to.

For the moment, the light is on my G22 while I'm waiting for my G19(takes about a month to get here).

EDC10-24-12.jpg