A2L modification

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking i want to turn my A2L light from red to UV.
I like the red however i want something different.

Firstly, can it even be done? Do we have a member here capable of performing the operation?

Secondly, i was thinking of going with 2 UV and 2 red. I would use the UV for the lume on my watch, detecting counterfeit money and maybe scorpion hunting.

I would keep the main white LED as is, or if major surgery was needed would change it out to run rechargeable batteries.

What are your thoughts on this project?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
What we need is an led tower for the A2. Then we would have the most perfect light ever conceived of by man.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
What we need is an led tower for the A2. Then we would have the most perfect light ever conceived of by man.

My understanding is that some people take great offense when asked if there is a way to upgrade an A2 to LED. Something about a perfect beam of regulated incandescent light.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
My understanding is that some people take great offense when asked if there is a way to upgrade an A2 to LED. Something about a perfect beam of regulated incandescent light.

I love the incan beam on the A2, especially the unfrosted HO-A2... but I still wish someone would put out an LED drop in for one. Mainly for runtime... when a pair of primaries is too low to fire up the incan, you still have a whole lot of time left in the LEDs. I end up with a high-less A2 most of the time, since I do not want to waste them.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
A high cri xpg would be just prefect for an A2. Plus, you can drop a warm 5mm led ring in it and have flashlight bliss.

Yes, I know the A2L exists. That's what this thread is about. Surefire screwed that one up. The main led is so blue, it's almost false advertising to call it white. Same problem as with the T1A. Took a magnificent concept and screwed it up with a crappy blue emitter.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two A2's and one A2L, I wish my A2L had an xpe or Nichia hi cri emitter, or someone mad an led tower for the A2.
Neither light is perfect but if I had to choose, I'd rather have an A2 with a tower and swappable calipsoii rings over the A2L.