What's your absolute "must have" criteria for buying another flashlight?

Zephrus

Newly Enlightened
My own criteria is pretty generalized here, but, generally speaking, it either has to have:

1. At least double the OTF lumens (i.e. if my current brightest flashlight is 500 lumens, my next one has to be at least 1000). Incidentally, I look at pretty much everything the same way. A computer has to be twice as fast. A hard drive has to have twice the capacity etc., before I'll go with a new one. Guess I tend to think exponentially. There are of course exceptions to the rule though.

2. If it doesn't have twice the light output, it has to have a very nifty feature(s) and/or design advantage that would make me buy it. For instance, maybe it has the same output as my (current) flashlight but is half the size. Perhaps its size/weight/strength will help it double as a car jack handle :D

Then again, there's the rare instance where I might just buy a light cuz I like it for whatever reason :)

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What's your absolute "must have" criteria for buying another flashlight?

Beam profile, UI and efficiency. An ugly beam will have me gifting any light away. I don't like complex UI's. The easier a light is to use the better. Efficiency is right up there. I want a light that isn't sucking power unnecessarily.

I usually don't buy a new light until it's been available for at least 6 months and has had several good reviews from reliable sources. Early on I just bought everything that I thought was great and wasted a LOT of money.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. Made in USA or Canada if possible (haven't found one yet)

2. I have to like it.

3. Has to satisfy a need. (me needing 3 of the same light is sometimes a need.)

4. Made from a cool material, has a new wtv.

5. Is rare and considered a collectible.

6. I can afford it.

BillSWPA

Enlightened

1) Reliable. Must work when I need/want it. An LED is preferred. See #7 below. I am willing to pay for something that I will not need to replace any time soon.
2) Reasonably long battery life.
3) Two modes is preferable due to #2 above. I like having a bright (100-200 lumen) mode immediately available and a lower power (5-15 lumens) mode for when I do not need super bright light, and do not want to drain batteries unnecessarily.
4) Compact, narrow profile for easy carry in a pocket or on a belt.
5) Good beam "throw"
6) Must meet a need that is not currently met by my current lights.
7) Reasonably priced given the above. I am willing to pay for quality as long as the point of diminishing returns has not been reached.
8) Well-designed switch, preferably a tailcap switch. Also, a convenient, reliable way to switch between modes.
9) Depending on the need to be filled, either a 1xCR123 or a 2xCR123 setup is preferred.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
- AA minimum, 14500 a strong plus
- moonlight mode with another single digit low
- floody, with tint options a strong plus
- efficient low modes ~200+ hr moonlight
- small and pocketable

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. Made in USA or Canada if possible (haven't found one yet)

I believe the LedXtreme Predator is made in Canada. I don't think it's cutting edge, but Canadian made lights are pretty rare from what I can tell. Good for you for trying to support your fellow countrymen!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast

My lights fall into these categories.
(1) Crazy bright thrower
(2) Crazy bright floody
(3) Small, easy to use light for working on the car or under the sink
(4) Rechargeable

TEEJ

Flashaholic

It has to perform a function better than what I am currently using to perform it. After that, its a question of degree. New lights are always coming out, and they do get better and better. If I've been looking askance at one of my lights in a particular application, and wishing it had a wider/tighter beam, or more lux on target, or color rendition, or portability, or run time, or UI....etc...and one of the new ones looks like it might do the job better, I might spring for it if the difference is significant enough to warrant the investment.

Mikeg23

Enlightened

Must have criteria:
1: Hcri
2: Simple UI. I have no problem with single mode lights. So far I have only found three multi mode lights I love. These include the quark tactical, Malkoff, and Elzetta. Although my HDS U60, Surefire U2, and Surefire L1 have/had a good UI.
3: Good throw
4: Can't be bigger than a 6P if it's going to be carried daily.
5: Must be reliable. Basically Surefire and Malkoff although I like 4 sevens...
6: It's not a must have but I prefer black over natural.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I really want a good low (less than 1 lumen), and a warmish tint is best, but if the price is right almost any light is fair game.

Geoff

Dubois

Enlightened

I have a whole list of things I must have - neutral tint, no blinkies, reverse clicky, moonlight low ... then I see something at a good price and all these considerations go out the window:)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine must have

1. reliability - the light must work when I want it too.
2. Nice beam profile - clean without dark/bright spots, or ugly holes (the maxabeams are an exception - they are ringy when in flood mode, but that's not why I have them.
3. Good runtime - relative to the size/brightness
4. Neutral tint - not necessarily a neutral (4500k) colour, but without an odd colour cast (overly blue, green, etc)
5. Be comfortable to use - sharp fluting can be uncomfortable, strike bezels can be sharp if they are leant on/fallen on.
6. They must fill a need - I already have a lot of lights, throwers, floody lights, headlamps, dim lights, bright lights, big lights and little lights.
7. They must feel like a quality product - nothing beats the feeling of a nice well machined light (for a perfect example, see the Muyshondt Aeon - my TI one is worth every penny of the price, and feels amazingly built)
8. Simple UI - i hate "cycle thru the modes" lights - i love the Aeon's UI, along with the SF U2, SWM magnetic ring (V10R), and the SF L2/A2/LX2.

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened

for me, the first "must have" criteria for a general purpose light is a forward clicky switch. For EDC lights, I prefer a very low Low Mode. After that....

+1
2. I have to like it.

Always important
6. I can afford it.

2) Reasonably long battery life. I just understand the need or desire for crazy bright with less than 30 minutes of run time, but hey, whatever melts your butter :grin2:

and like many have all ready said, I prefer to spend my money on lights made by a company that will back them up with a good warranty should something fail.

brightbulbs

Newly Enlightened

1. Use AA or AAA Battery
2. 300+ Lumens
3. Lasts at least 3 hours
4. Light weight
5. Under $60
6. Strong and durable

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast

That I like it.
At least two modes.

Bronco

Enlightened

I still enjoy a variety of emitter types, battery sizes and configurations, build materials and flood/throw arrangements.

About the only thing I've been insisting upon the last couple years is an emitter that's either neutral, high CRI or preferably both.

tstartrekdude

Newly Enlightened

I tend to keep an open mind about different light types, sizes, battery's. But I simply am never going to own another light with a LED cooler than 5000k.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

MY must have criteria, is that I "must have" lots of extra money laying around because I dont need to buy any more lights right now, and I have other expenses to think about. So I "must have" enough money to afford another light or I wont buy anymore any time soon!