Need help with Modding a P60 to get a long throwing LED flashlight

AznDragon567

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have a surefire 6P body and would like some advice on how to get the maximum potential throw out of it. Please help , budget is $150 , is 60k Lux possible?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The highest throw from something that size is probably Saabluster's DEFT EDC at 80k+ lux @ 1m. But that was a custom modded light with a lot of thought and work put into it. It wasn't a drop-in light and heatsinking was very important. I'm not sure if you'll be able to hit 60K lux without tons of work. The best easier solution would be to drive a XR-E @ 1.5A, or even 2A if you have it soldered straight to copper and have a good thermal path to the body. Then use an aspherical lens P60 kit. If you want more throw, you'll have to do a lot more work.

I'm not sure how many lux you'll get from that.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any more input would be helpful, bump

What sort of use or what do you want it to do?

For example, a smaller LED in the same size reflector will typically throw further, but with a narrower hot spot and duller spill.

Would you be willing to swap on a bigger head? A bigger deeper reflector will help throw, although the above still applies. (as an example of this, a 180 lumen XP-E in a MagLite still out throws a 550 lumen XM-L U2 in a standard p60).

Some kind of aspheric lens, either in a standard p60 head or bigger. This will offer the most throw for a given emitter, but you'll get almost no spill at all.

The more lumens the greater the beam distance for any of the above setup, but lumens alone don't make a thrower.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find a FiveMega D26 Sunlight and a FiveMega Deep Turbo C head, you can approach the lux performance that you are asking about. I measured about 35,000 lux using a Welch-Allyn 1111 bi-pin in a Sunlight. I ran the bulb with 2xIMR18500, which would require an extension tube to your 6P body. If you want to stay with just the 6P length, you could use 2xIMR16340. Or bore the body and use 2xIMR18350.

A downside is that run time will be relatively short, especially for the IMR16340s.

If you want more output, you could go with a WA1185 bulb and run it with 3xIMR Li-ions.

You could also use a KT1 TurboHead and an LED or incan FiveMega MN bi-pin tower (if you can find one of the FiveMega towers for sale). You should be able to get around 20,000 lux or more, depending on LED or bulb.

AznDragon567

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know the approximate lux from an xr-e driven at 1.5A fitted with an aspheric?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know the approximate lux from an xr-e driven at 1.5A fitted with an aspheric?

With the Ahorton Aspheric and XR-E R2 EZ900 driven at 1.8A~2A I would get 32K lux but if I used the XR-E R2 EZ1000 it would generate only 24.5K lux.

The EZ900 was 120~140 OTF lumens with Aspheric installed
The EZ1000 was 220~230 OTF lumens with Aspheric Installed

The EZ1000 appeared so much brighter that the extra lux provided by the EZ900 seemed irrelevant and not noticeable to the naked eye.

You can try an XPG2 with a 2.5A or 2.8A driver (Mine is driven at 3.2A but mine is LED to copper bonding via Lamdalights)

bigC

Last edited:

Latest posts