ultra/sonic G anodizing question

BT1324

Newly Enlightened
Ive been reading that the G's are HA3 but when ppl got one of them, the anodizing was scratched up, is this true?

BT1324

Newly Enlightened
phew, thx man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, i was beginning to wonder if i should get em at all.

DavidTHR

Enlightened
Related question:

I ordered 3 of the Ultra-G's.

Two of them had a very dark OD color.

One of them had a medium green color, highly different from the other two.

Is this color difference normal?

Thanks.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes a color variation is normal with Hard Anodizing type III.

This is a common question here especially with Surefire lights. Often head, tailcap and body will all be a slightly different tint.

GregR

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
yep, anodizing is a very hard process to control. Mismatch on the color is normal. That is because the aluminum used is not of the same condition, some might be smoother or of diff type /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
But in general, type 3 should be a lot stronger than type 2.

hanuman

Newly Enlightened
mine 3 Utra-G look great, dark green. They are in perfect shape. Both of Sonic-G look ugly with scratch.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
A fellow CPFer, Nexro, carries his Sonic G in his pocket with his keys and found that the HA finish on it scratches off very easily as compared to an Arc AAA... so just thought you guys might want to know that... Maybe that's what BT1324 heard instead? I am pretty sure the Sonic and Ultra Gs will all arrive in good condition, mine did anyways!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry guys but I am new to CPF. Can somebody explain to me what is Ultra G and Sonic G anodizing? I have an SF M2 with type III Hard Anodize. Part of the anodizing has already worn off a little. Is this common? I barely had the M2 for 6 months.

Regards,
Andy Ho

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Pjandyho! Welcome to CPF, great to see another fellow asian flashaholic on board...

Ultra G and SOnic G are US Govt issue versions of the CMG Infinity Ultra and Sonic. In order, they are single AA and AAA lights. CountyComm carries the 'G' version of the lights and they are supposed to be type III HA.

As for the Anodizing on your M2, do you mean that the knurling is wearing off or the colour itself is fading? I think if you meant the knurling then it should quite common, cos the knurling (compared to an Arc AAA for example) is very 'aggresive' and the fine bits of knurling sorta gets worn pretty easily. Hope I'm making sense here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
If worse comes to worse, you can always cover the body of the light with heat-shrink tubing. I do this with my Infinities as I hang them from my key swivel (which is on my belt). Does this help?

Dan

nexro

Enlightened
covering the body works with the Ultra-G.
It poses a bit of a problem for the Sonic-G though as the tail of the light is thicker and has knurlings compared to the rest of the light. I think you might need to use another tube to cover that.

Well, like what stanley said, the greenish colour on the knurling of my light is a little scratched up... what I mean by this is that I can see shiny silver bits on the tail knurling. If I am not wrong, this shouldn't happen on a Type III HA. At least that didn't happened to my Arc AAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Stanley for the explaination. I am finally clear now after going through all the links you supplied. I for some reasons don't really bother about the knurling on my M2. In fact I just ordered an M3 and is looking into getting an L5 o L6.

Thank you once again.

Andy Ho

Latest posts