All the New Brands

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
I always hear that we Candle Power forum members are just a small niche market. And I do not doubt this in general.

However, there seems to be a never ending addition of new brands being sold. Since I've never seen any of these brands in stores, I cannot understand where all this additional demand comes from to support all these new brands.

Personally, I've never seen anything other than Surefires in sporting goods stores. I've heard Fenix can be found, and I've seen 4Sevens (@that time) on Home Depot's website.

Is flashaholism spreading?

Is it just marketing by manufacturers of which we are all ready familiar? But even if this is true, wouldn't overall demand still need to increase to support all these different brands?

Is it just a form of branding and we will see brands constantly come and go? Or are these new brands being created by actual new entrepreneurs trying to make a go of it?

Simply put, I am amazed by the continual addition of new brands entering what I thought was a relatively small and fixed market.

Where is all this demand coming from?

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
At least he's being pragmatic! :p

What a great rationalization for getting a .22 suppressor! I've always wanted one, but the ridiculous cost of the NFA stamp has always kept me from pulling the trigger. :barf:

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Maybe if you flood the market with multiple iterations of the same light you have a better chance at capturing more market share. Why not, the auto world does it all the time and how's that working out?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really!? Why only three, lol... ;)

SHE apparently didn't like the first one. The practice seems to have paid off; although the crossbow is limited in range.

In all seriousness, the recent roll call of disasters has led to a disaster-prep fetish. Japanese stores are stocking "complete disaster care" kits with radiation meters, ponchos, solar ovens, and tents. At least the end of the world is great for business ;)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Are we getting off track here? Let's not turn this thread into a disaster thread.

Bill

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all live in the information age. No longer necessary to visit brick & mortar stores on the other side of town. Once you hang around for awhile, you'll say.... "I like that one.... I must have that one.... & that one....and a couple of those..... and some batteries. How much is that charger?

herosemblem

Enlightened
Where does this demand originate? In hobbyists like us...especially the modern male variety, which loves gadgets. Tablets, lights, knives...
These flashlight companies just want a piece of the pie, and it wouldn't surprise me if their founders are also gadget lovers.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
There just seems to have been an increase in the frequency of new brand announcements being made recently, and I wondered what was driving it.

Is the number of flashlight geeks really increasing that fast? Who else beside CPFers even know these brands? Is CPF increasing its numbers?

The question to be answered is where is all this new demand coming from?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Very interesting thread here !

Lots and Lots of new brands introduced.

And yet . . . .

the ICON brand of flashlights,

with the ENORMOUS backing of prestigious SureFire parent company

(technical expertise included)

just now admitted that they are * G O N E * !

:wtf:
_

pwhite87

Newly Enlightened
As someone whose had his nose up against the glass for quite sometime now, I can say that the people I know that have a passion for something always keep up with the current releases and information. I'm now beginning to embrace my inner geek now that I have people to share it with. Regarding all the new brands? I love to see more manufacturers coming out with new lights. Lots are middling at best IMHO, and yes I am rather stuck up regarding what I spend my denaro on next, but I've always enjoyed tracking the march of technology. So interesting to see what comes out next.

nbp

Flashaholic
I am kinda with those who think that it's just a couple major Chinese manufacturers releasing lots of similar lights with different names hoping a few will take. If they don't they just stop engraving that name and pick a different one.

I agree that there are loads of crazy named brands showing up lately with no history....and likely no future.

I have no idea who buys all of these lights. I have only maybe two friends who would even recognize Fenix if they saw it, which is probably the grandaddy of quality foreign lights, and they absolutely have never heard of all these other brands. And I have lots of outdoorsy gear junkie friends. Heck, I log on here nearly every day for 5 years and I don't know much about most of them as they don't appeal to me or seem worth the money.