Collins No Battery Flashlight

Torchy the battery pig

Newly Enlightened
I have read all the contributions on a previous thread relating to this flashlight. I would have liked to have tagged this on one the end, unfortunately it would not let me. So I have started a new one SORRY.
I have recently been given the self same flash lamp at first I assumed it was military as it was green. However thanks to your forum I now know a lot more about it.
It is in very good condition with lots of the green paint still on. It has the original glass and no dents or damage. When I removed the reflector I found the operating instructions still folded up inside, again in good condition. The serial number is D 1088. Pat September 9 1924.
It lit up first time, but unfortunately the bulb blew and the spear is missing. It is generating 1.6 to 1.7v constantly so the bulb must have died of shock. I am planning a trip to a shop in Lincoln (UK) who sells old aircraft parts I suspect he will have one.
If it was not for the information contained in the forum I would have pushed it to the back of a draw for the next 20 years. If anyone is interested I will try and post some pictures soon.
I hope I have not broken any rules or been rude on my first contribution. Once again thank you for the information.

Torchy the battery pig

Newly Enlightened
Can I find a bulb for this? NO

I have a 1924 Collins no battery flashlight with a blown bulb, can I find one? NO. I have been all round Lincoln (Didn't take long though). No one on the net is convincing enough to risk parting with any cash.
I have run it up and the dynamo is now putting out 2.5 volts and only .22 amps. The ammeter slows down the dynamo when connected, I don't think it should do that.
So I need a 2.6v miniature (midget) groove lamp bulb with a very low wattage. If I try a 2.5v with .5w it stops the dynamo. I can see this going very quickly onto fleabay if I cannot fond a bulb soon. They should not make torches if they are not going to make the bulb available for the next 80years of so, its no wonder the factory closed, what good is a light if you cannot get a bulb.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Can I find a bulb for this? NO

A minimag or 2-cell bulb may be about right. Companies fail every year and leave unsupported products behind. If nothing else, put a 5mm white LED in t there. Maybe you toast the LED, maybe not.

mahoney

Enlightened
Re: Can I find a bulb for this? NO

2.5 V and 220 ma would be about right for a red or yellow 1 watt LED, voltage might be too low for a white. It's more than enough to toast a 5mm LED though. If you want to stick with an incandescent lamp, try a 222, a pretty common lamp for 2 cell penlights.

Torchy the battery pig

Newly Enlightened
SORTED!!! I have soldered an LED into the old bulb housing and it works just fine. Tends to throw the light out with out using the reflector as you would expect with an LED, however I now have a 1924 no battery wind up flash light that works thanks to you guys. If you would like to see it Google Photobucket and look in my account under 4Spooks
Thanks again!