5 New P60 Light Engines Forest test - using TnC Ti P60 Host and NCR18650B

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I went Deer Hunting last week and (of course) brought my new TnC 18650 P60 host with V3 head to check out my 5 new P60 light engines. I used a fresh Panasonic NCR18650B (3400 mah). All light engines were made either by Nailbender or Vinh. All 5 worked great and were great quality. We are lucky to have such good dedicated builders. Dave also went out of his way to get me a 3.1A XML light engine before my trip.. The distance in the pictures is roughly 125 yards or so.. I did not walk it off because I did not feel like crossing the stream...

My brother took the pics with his Leica M9, ET: .25s, Aperture: f/1.4, ISO: 1250

Here are the test participants, all had smooth reflectors except the 4.5A XML, which had a LOP reflector:

Vinh - 4.5A XML U2 Cool White LOP
NB - 1.4A XP-G2 Neutral
Vinh - 2.0A XPE R2 Cool White
NB - 3.1A XML U2 Cool White
Solarforce - 2.?A XML T6 Cool White, I added this one to show a production XML light engine

tncp60hostandlightmodul.jpg

tncp60lightmodules.jpg

Picture below is the 4.5A XML U2 Cool White with LOP Reflector

tncp60xmlu245aresize.jpg

Picture below is the 1.4A XP-G2 Neutral Tint

tncp60xpg214aresize.jpg

Picture below is the 2A XRE R4 Cool White

tncp60xper42aresize.jpg

Picture below is the 3.1A XML U2 Cool White

tncp60xmlu231aresize.jpg

Picture below is the Solarforce 2.?A XML T6 Cool White

tncp60xmlt625asolarforc.jpg

Below is the daylight Shot of the same tree area. Notice the targeted tree cluster under the peak and just to the right of the shadow. This daylight shot really makes you appreciate the tint of the XP-G2. Notice how the trees are the same color in this daylight shot and the XP-G2 pic..

tncp60daytimeshotresize.jpg

In the end, the way the 4.5A XML lit up the forest was quite impressive. In fact, both my brother and son picked it as their favorite. The picture does not really impress how much forest was really lit up. Also, the tint, throw, and brightness of the XP-G2 Neutral was also very well liked and it is only running 1.4A, very impressive. The colors of the forest are also much nicer with the Neutral tint. All in all, a great time, and all light engines had their pros and cons.. Enjoy ! :grin2:

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an underdriven XM-L P60 drop-in that only puts out 500 lumens, the Solarforce LC-XML has great throw. I believe that the LC-XPG and LC-XML are the most throwy production drop-ins that use XP-G and XM-L. I read somewhere that LC-XPG does somewhere around 12k lux, and LC-XML not that far behind. Solarforce did great job with their reflectors.

vinh's 4.5A drop-in is just hilariously absurd.

hjdca

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce did great job with their reflectors.
vinh's 4.5A drop-in is just hilariously absurd.

It's funny that you say that. After this test, I took the smooth reflector off the solarforce light engine and swapped it with the LOP reflector on the 4.5A XML engine from Vinh. It improved the throw on the 4.5A and the hotspot is nice and crisp, but it is still slightly "hollow" like all XMLs, like you are looking at the end of a crisp hollow cylinder.. I have been running this combination for a while and I really like it for the outdoors. I only wish it had a more neutral tint, so I could see the colors better..