Durable UCL lens?

N/Apower

Enlightened
I had a UCL lens with AR coating on both sides once. I got rid of it because I cleaned it with my T-shirt and some alcohol and the coating came off. Does anyone make a UCL or high-efficiency type lens for a 6P that is able to withstand this kind of "abuse"? Currently using Surefire OEM.

tolkaze

Enlightened
Ucl with ruined coating will still output more light than oem lens. The light will still shine the same, just won't look as pretty. If the light is a user/beater then don't worry. If you are concerned, you can replace the ucl and be careful with cleaning, alternatively, sapphire lenses are pretty hardy. Either way, better, clearer than the stock lens IMO

N/Apower

Enlightened
Ucl with ruined coating will still output more light than oem lens. The light will still shine the same, just won't look as pretty. If the light is a user/beater then don't worry. If you are concerned, you can replace the ucl and be careful with cleaning, alternatively, sapphire lenses are pretty hardy. Either way, better, clearer than the stock lens IMO

Where would I get a sapphire lens to fit a 6P? What is the light transmission? I understand the stock Surefire is @92%.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edmunds Scientific stocks sapphire lens but they're $$$$. I'm surprised you damaged the AR coating so easily, a properly coated lens can take a fair amount of cleaning w/o showing wear. As Tolkaze posted even a less than perfect AR lens will outperform a stock lens.

N/Apower

Enlightened
Edmunds Scientific stocks sapphire lens but they're $$$$. I'm surprised you damaged the AR coating so easily, a properly coated lens can take a fair amount of cleaning w/o showing wear. As Tolkaze posted even a less than perfect AR lens will outperform a stock lens.

It looked to me like it wasn't AR coated when I got done cleaning it. When it was new it had a nice "tint" evenly across it. This is what came off. Alcohol wipes (70% ISO) and my cotton T-shirt and it was splotchy, one more cleaning and it was only remaining on the edges of the lens that weren't cleaned very well due to them being at the edge.

Edmund sapphire lenses are much less efficient than what I have now, coming in in the mid/high 80% transmission range. My OEM Surefire lens is plenty hard/strong, so that's not what I am concerned with. I would like higher light transmission without a cheap coating that rubs off the first time I clean the lens.

Last edited: