MODE MEMORY. I like mode memory mostly but it's a pain at other times. Your thoughts?

Do you like Mode Memory?

• YES

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • NO

Votes: 66 63.5%

• Total voters

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are times when I would like to be able to turn Mode Memory off when it becomes a nuisance.

When I forget the last mode I was in when I last used my flashlight and I have to play a guessing game as to the brightness or DISCO mode that it will start on is a real pain.

I would like to know what difficulties users of both Memory and Non Memory lights have experienced that had them wishing they had the opposite feature and why you like or dislike Mode Memory. :shrug:

THE NAMES OF THOSE TAKING PART IN THIS POLL IS SET NOT TO REVEAL THEM TO ANYONE, EVEN ME!

Cheers

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
With a passion, I can't stand mode memory for the reasons you describe. Instant disqualification if I'm looking for a new light. You should make this a voting poll - would be interesting to see the breakdown.

litzerski

Newly Enlightened
I don't like mode memory either...some lights i prefer to always come on on high, others I prefer to always come on on low.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I forget the last mode I was in when I last used my flashlight and I have to play a guessing game as to the brightness or DISCO mode that it will start on is a real pain.
That's precisely why I consider it a deal breaker.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are lights with mode memory that can be either enabled or disabled. I think some of the EagleTac DC25 Clickies have that.
Also the Fenix LD/PD 12/22/32 have mode memory but at least they the disco is hidden.

I have lights with both mode memory and disco when the bezel is loosened and it can be a pain to cycle through. Reason why it has become a deal-breaker for me as well.
I'm waiting for some of my favorite brands to release lights with turning bezel and hidden disco with or without memory.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a passion, I can't stand mode memory for the reasons you describe. Instant disqualification if I'm looking for a new light. You should make this a voting poll - would be interesting to see the breakdown.

Thanks for the Poll suggestion.

It does make for a good topic to start a Poll on.

I started the poll just after you suggested it.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Last edited:

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I like the memory mode on my Fenix LD12.
It's not always good that the manufacture has decided for me what is the best setting when I first turn a flashlight on so the mode memory gives me some options.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm kinda neutral on the front. The lights with mode memory, I always turn off on the same mode (usually low) so the light always comes on at the same mode for me.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I'm kinda neutral on the front. The lights with mode memory, I always turn off on the same mode (usually low) so the light always comes on at the same mode for me.

That is just what I do too.

The only thing that would be cooler is if you could program a light to come on what ever setting you wanted from a off position.
This way you would not have to remember to change the setting before you turned it off. Also being programable you could change it if you change you mind on what setting you want the light to come on at.

It's kind of amazing how some UI on flashlights let you change so many things now.
I'm wondering if the next step in flashlight UI is going to involve some type of connection with a computer so you can reprogram options.

Maybe a bluetooth connection with your smart phone and app or something along them lines. :)

wjv

Enlightened
I look for light with 1 of 2 options:

- Always comes on in low
- Memory

So I guess I like memory modes. In real life I almost always use the lowest mode available, and when I don't, I reset to low before turning off.

The light I use the most is my Sunwayman R01A, so I do like low modes over high modes.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was not confident with memory, for the reasons You all mentionned
(especially when I do not remember the last level I used)
but with heavy use (On/Off) of a light with programmable level setting (flupic driver), a remember last setting is not a bad idea.

So my personal #1 choice were:

a light with programmable levels,
that has an "advanced" remember last setting ...
... after 1-3 hours, the light ALWAYS starts in the "number one level" (in my case that were moonlight), so the 1st lightup that day/night is known in advance
but when having just been used, it enters the last level it was in

tam17

Enlightened
I can live without it, but on some flashlights it can be useful. When I'm picking my EDC light w/memory for a certain time of day or specific task, I can usually anticipate the mode I'm going to need first (most of the time it's High, but sometimes it's Low or even Strobe) so it's memorized before I leave home.

I hate drivers that take too short/too long time to memorize the last used mode (anything between 2 and 3 secs is fine with me).

Cheers

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I owned a flupic mule. The settings and programmable modes were awesome. I just didn't like the brightness and tint of the light

aau007

Enlightened
That why I still like the old Jetbeam IBS. 3 modes, always starts with 1st (unless on/off within 2 sec). Then each mode is programmable. I know exactly how bright when it first turns on, reprogram the modes when your needs change.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can live with it, but I don't like it.

I just have to remember to put it back in low mode every time I turn it off.

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
I'm wondering if the next step in flashlight UI is going to involve some type of connection with a computer so you can reprogram options.

Maybe a bluetooth connection with your smart phone and app or something along them lines. :)

That would be great, you could set your own lumen levels and wether it goes low to hight or high to low. You could also delete those modes you don't like.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
A fully customizable and programmable light already exists. HDS