Sure Fire 3P, can I make it more powerful?

Go big

Newly Enlightened
I have a Sure Fire 3P that is in good condition but the newer lights are much brighter so I don't use it much anymore. I was looking for a way to make it more powerful..LED perhaps....is that possible?
after finding this forum I discovered it may have some value to a collector so maybe I should sell it and buy a modern light instead of trying to alter it.
any advice is most welcome.
thanks

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have a Sure Fire 3P that is in good condition but the newer lights are much brighter so I don't use it much anymore. I was looking for a way to make it more powerful..LED perhaps....is that possible?
after finding this forum I discovered it may have some value to a collector so maybe I should sell it and buy a modern light instead of trying to alter it.
any advice is most welcome.
thanks

Yes, SF 3P is an excellent host for an LED drop-in ... Malkoff M31 would be a classic choice, among many possible options.

The stock 3P lamp (R30) was rated at 20 lumens. The M31 will have about 230 lumens output and runs on the same single CR123A primary (3v) cell :devil:

Should you choose to sell instead, these are indeed quite collectible (depending upon condition) - :)

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, SF 3P is an excellent host for an LED drop-in ... Malkoff M31 would be a classic choice, among many possible options.
The stock 3P lamp (R30) was rated at 20 lumens. The M31 will have about 230 lumens output and runs on the same single CR123A primary (3v) cell :devil:
Should you choose to sell instead, these are indeed quite collectible (depending upon condition) - :)

+1 on the M31

Sell the 3P...buy two lights...go eat steak with leftover money

+1 if you don't care about the collectability of the light

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: pics of Sure Fire 3P I would like to sell. I need help establishing a fair price.

Have you searched Google?

Here one NIB that sold in the CPF marketplace My last extremely rare NIB SureFire 3P-PH and another not so new WTS: Surefire 3P

Past sales are going to be your best guide.

Any replies given here would be pure speculation unless they link to sales.

Please note policy #3. You MUST post a price for all items you put up for sale. Auctions, feelers and requests for offers are NOT permitted.

Any attempts to turn this thread into a WTS will see this thread closed.

Norm

Last edited:

Go big

Newly Enlightened
Re: pics of Sure Fire 3P I would like to sell. I need help establishing a fair price.

Have you searched Google?

Here one NIB that sold in the CPF marketplace My last extremely rare NIB SureFire 3P-PH and another not so new WTS: Surefire 3P

Past sales are going to be your best guide.

Any replies given here would be pure speculation unless they link to sales.

Please note policy #3. You MUST post a price for all items you put up for sale. Auctions, feelers and requests for offers are NOT permitted.

Any attempts to turn this thread into a WTS will see this thread closed.

Norm

Thanks for the info.
I did search for previous sales on ebay etc but there wasn't much to work with, nothing recent anyway.

I'm a little confused. You say I must post an asking price but any attempt to turn the thread into a WTS (want to sell)? will get the thread closed....
So I'm not sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread with an asking price or what?

I found the Marketplace but the rules there are kind of confusing too. They say I must first post to a few threads before I can sell anything....
I don't want to go pretend I want to buy something just to get the post counter up and I'm guessing striking up idle chat over there wont help me either.
Do posts here count toward the marketplace post count ? ;)

Anyway, I would welcome any advice on how to properly list an asking price and which forum it should go in.

Thanks

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

The proper place for sales threads is the CPF Marketplace.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forum.php

You'll need to register first. No sales threads are allowed in this forum except for custom builders and modders in this forum: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ustom-amp-Modified-Flashlights-Buy-Sell-Trade

There is one up for sale here in new, still has the tags condition, for $300.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?275234-My-last-extremely-rare-NIB-SureFire-3P-PH

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

This isn't the infamous red 3p your trying to sell and fail on other forums are you? I'm paranoid of the 3p's now.
I hope not
CPF marketplace is where the. Sales are, follow the rules there and you'll be fine.

Though if I were you I'd keep your light, get a couple 16340 batteries, a nuetral white and coolwhite XML dropin made by Nailbender of VinhNyugen and you'll have a 500-800 lumen pocket rocket ;)

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold a good condition 3P recently for 130 shipped. That's probably fair market value for a user with no documentation.

Norm

Retired Administrator

I'm a little confused. You say I must post an asking price but any attempt to turn the thread into a WTS (want to sell)? will get the thread closed....
So I'm not sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread with an asking price or what?

This thread will be closed because this isn't the correct forum for a WTS, you need to post in the Marketplace

I found the Marketplace but the rules there are kind of confusing too. They say I must first post to a few threads before I can sell anything....
I don't want to go pretend I want to buy something just to get the post counter up and I'm guessing striking up idle chat over there wont help me either.
Do posts here count toward the marketplace post count ? ;)

There is an off topic area where there is plenty of opportunity for you to post the three required posts.

Anyway, I would welcome any advice on how to properly list an asking price and which forum it should go in.

Thanks

eg1977

Newly Enlightened

In my opinion, your 3P is worth $120 - $150

fyrstormer

Banned

Put a single-cell P60-compatible drop-in into it, and run it on an IMR 16340 cell. You can always sell it later, if you still don't like it after upgrading it.

Al_D

Newly Enlightened

Put a single-cell P60-compatible drop-in into it, and run it on an IMR 16340 cell. You can always sell it later, if you still don't like it after upgrading it.

+1

(I'm the sentimental gear type)
There's no (to little) loss if you go this option. There are many good P60 drop ins to choose from, and if you so choose to sell it after, it's a more attractive sell with the upgraded drop in.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would beg to differ, i had the 3P up with a M31W, no takers on the Malkoff.
I don't like the 3p for EDC. It's too stubby and heavy. It's awkward to hold and way too front heavy to hold in my mouth.

I've kept my NIB ones for collection sake, i don't see myself using the 3P.
The M31W is nice, but i hate that it didn't take rechargeable cells. I hate watching it dim

Last edited:

Go big

Newly Enlightened

Thanks to everyone for the help. If I do sell it now I know how to go about it and have an idea of what to ask for it.

@CarpentryHero: I haven't tried to sell this light before my post here, nor have I ever posted about it anywhere else. Who ever you are talking about isn't me. The light is black, by the way, check the pics I linked to.

I'm new to all of this so please bear with me. Is the Malkoff M31 a "P60 compatible drop in"?

If I decide to mod the light I would need the added lumens that the drop in provides but I would also need a better way to switch it when it is attached to my carbine. Can the 3P tail cap be replaced with a remote switch like a pressure tape?

If I was getting the 200 lumens and had the option to use a pressure tape when using the light on my carbine and the original tail switch when i carry the light in my pocket, then it might be worth keeping.

Then again, the cost of those mods plus a mount combined with the sale value of the 3P probably would cover a majority of the cost of a Sure Fire X300 which I'm guessing would be better for my needs.
Plus it seems like a disservice to the community to mod the light into something I'll always think of as a second class rig when there are people who would appreciate 3P as it is.

Thanks again guys

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can find several remote tape switches for the 3P.
The one intended for that generation (aesthetically) is a little harder to come by. You'll have to keep your eyes peeled in the marketplace.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, the Malkoff M31 is a P60 dropin ... so named because they can be "dropped in" to replace lamps the size of the SureFire P60 (which are all the same size as the R30 in the 3P, the P60/61 in the 6P, and the P90/91 in the 9P).

There are many, many available P60 options, but Malkoff is widely regarded as among the best of the best (and expensive, but worth it).

This "mod" is simple, easy to do, and also quickly and fully reversible.

It might also be worth noting that vintage 3P does not have a "lock-out tail-cap" .... To upgrade it to modern standards (especially with a high-output drop-in), I would also suggest getting a compatible LOTC as well.

Last edited:

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
Weapon light potential

surefire-lego-weapon-light-cpf.jpg