Does anyone make Malkoff-compatible drop-ins?

fyrstormer

Banned
I'm curious to know if Malkoff's pseudo-proprietary drop-in size is being used by anyone else. It looks like the EDC+ drop-ins are similar, but obviously they'd need to be identical if they were going to fit into something like an Elzetta or a VME head. Anyone know of other drop-ins that are Malkoff-compatible?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since Malkoff only uses a small percentage of the available reflector area, it's going to be hard to find anything else that will work in a Malkoff host due to the small window.

fyrstormer

Banned
Since Malkoff only uses a small percentage of the available reflector area, it's going to be hard to find anything else that will work in a Malkoff host due to the small window.
True, but other manufacturers may be taking this into consideration as well. I'm just curious if any actually are.

jellydonut

Enlightened
Did I read somewhere that the Oveready triple will fit?

No, it doesn't. The shape is similar, but not exactly the same, so the retainer ring barely mounts on. The result is a head that will screw onto the body and will light up, but not even using half the threads available for the head or retainer ring. The window of the Malkoff head also blocks a lot of the light from the triple.

You would have to modify the window, and either the unit or the retainer ring, for this to work. Someone on this forum has done so, with great results. It will, however, not work out of the box.

Nailbender units actually fit, if you sand the rim of the reflector a tiny bit. Removing the contact spring lets you actually fit the retainer ring. Of course, again, the window obscures much of the reflector.

V6VTL.jpg

36cor.jpg

Malkoff heads really should come with a much smaller rim, something that just barely retains the edge of the module instead of obscuring everything. It is obvious that it was tailor-made for the M60 with little future-proofing in mind. :(

Last edited: