A Five Foot Flashlight

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
Well my son wanted to be a flashlight for Halloween but then his friend changed his mind. I already had the parts so I decided to make it anyways to see how it turns out well my daughter was helping and decided that she now wants to be the flashlight.

12" cement tube as the body
Plastic tub as the head
2 sheets of poster board and aluminum foil for reflector
Spray paint
One of my lights
Remote presser switch

First I cut arm holes and a face hole in the tube leaving about 6" from the top of the tube to her head so she won't be hitting the light with her head. I then cut the top 4" or so off the top of the tub to reduce weight. I then drilled a 1" hole in the middle of the tub for a light. To attach the tub to the tube I cut 5 notches around the bottom of the tub even with the inside of the tube. I then used real good duct tape and feed it down the slots and then pressed it against the tube the in the tub I pulled it tight and pressed it down firm. After it was connected threw each hole I then went inside the tube threw the face hole and used the duct tape all around the tube and tub to add more support. I then connected a Cabelas 1" light threw the hole I drilled then to hold it in place I pushed a 1" scope ring against the tub and tightened it down. As soon as I get the remote switch in I will decide what light I will use for sure.

I still need to paint it make the reflector and decide what to use as a lens. I might use the plastic floor runner it has the poky little plastic things on the bottom and is frosted but because the flashlight has less flood than is needed to fill the light I think it will make it look brighter in the end.

Oh. I also need to pick up another drop in from nailbender it will be my third in the last couple weeks because she would like it to have orange light I think I can find a use for a amber light latter.

I will post a finished light in a week or 2 we need some dry weather to get the painting don before I can move on.

She didn't want her photo taken but I talked her into it
Untitled.jpg

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahahaha that costume is... :twothumbs

i showed my niece the pic and she game me "the look".

extra candy for any kid that shows up to my door with a custom like that

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
She did not want her picture taken until it was finished but she wanted to try it on again and I made a deal if we try it on I get a picture. She gave in but I never asked for a smile in the deal so she said I don't get one.

pwhite87

Newly Enlightened
After reading Hornets post and seeing the photo of the end result, is anyone actually going to dispute that he is FATHER OF THE YEAR!!!:thumbsup:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
She did not want her picture taken until it was finished but she wanted to try it on again and I made a deal if we try it on I get a picture. She gave in but I never asked for a smile in the deal so she said I don't get one.
Sounds like you have a budding young lawyer or business deal negotiator on your hands (and look out when she gets a few years older, she's going to run rings around you).

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
pop a surefire logo on it. make a tail switch. paint her face black or grey and that can be the on off switch. paint the light olive drab. send the pic to surefire and see if they send yo a brand new light

or turn her into a quark and promote the new foursevens branding

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
That is awesome, but can she walk with it on? Might have to find a way she can move her legs more than 6" per stride!

I got an image in my head from A Christmas Story of her falling over and not being able to get back up.

Norman

Newly Enlightened
pop a surefire logo on it
Actually, it reminds me of those old silver aluminum-bodied flashlights with the sliding switch on the side & red head. It might have had a long magnet on the switch too? It's been a while, so I don't remember it too well (maybe Everready?).

Anyways, if you go with black, if you have some car window tint, you could cover the face hole and skip the black makeup on the face. Alternatively, I wonder if covering the hole with black nylon window mesh would work (the stuff they use for aluminum windows or storm doors). Maybe a second layer on the inside turned 45 degrees from the front layer would keep the inside dark but still be clear enough to see out?

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Anyways, if you go with black, if you have some car window tint, you could cover the face hole and skip the black makeup on the face. Alternatively, I wonder if covering the hole with black nylon window mesh would work (the stuff they use for aluminum windows or storm doors). Maybe a second layer on the inside turned 45 degrees from the front layer would keep the inside dark but still be clear enough to see out?

if you cover the face hole, be sure to use something that is breathable. With the top sealed, and it being a tube, you would not want to seal it up so much that they can't get adequate air to breath.

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
That is awesome, but can she walk with it on? Might have to find a way she can move her legs more than 6" per stride!

I got an image in my head from A Christmas Story of her falling over and not being able to get back up.

I am cutting it off just above her knees wanted to do waist and add cloth to make the bottom. Her mom and her both want it kept long and think it will look better. I think she needs to be able walk more.

As for your image the day before when we started cutting the holes in the tube, no top, her mom hadn't seen it yet. Well mom came home from work and she couldn't wait for help to show her. On the tube went but she couldn't get her arms in the holes and down she went face first on the kitchen floor. She had a bruise on her forehead to prove it.

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
Actually, it reminds me of those old silver aluminum-bodied flashlights with the sliding switch on the side & red head. It might have had a long magnet on the switch too? It's been a while, so I don't remember it too well (maybe Everready?).
That was just what I had in mind but I guess its her costume so its been painted orange. Guess she will be a home depo maglite

Last edited:

Hornet

Newly Enlightened
It has been decided that we are going to paint her face black and make the area around the face hole a black circle.

Thought I was going to use a presser switch so she could turn it on and off but I didn't think about them not being a full on switch and only on well being held down. She said she just wants to turn it on when she puts it on and leave it on for the most part.

I need to make the reflector still and we are using a shower current for a lens. Should be done with it this week.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait to see it finished! Don't forget the beamshots and shipping to SelfBuilt for a full review! :popcorn:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, awesome.
i'm no fortune teller, but i doubt walking in that will be an easy task.
if you get her a segway to go with that suite, she might reconsider that smile close in your agrement.