Surefire L4 170 lumen Output?

tsl

Enlightened
I recently saw a SF L4 in the new packaging with an advertised 170 lumen output. The last iteration of L4 was 120 lumens with a SSC P4 emitter. Is this a case of a more realistic estimation of lumens with no change in the light (i.e., the 120 lumens was an underestimation) or did something change? The "useful" runtime is still advertised to be the same (5.5 hours).

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based upon my samples (only one of each) they are very nearly the same. The emitters look identical to me and the heads are identical other than the serial number on the newer KL4 begins with a C as opposed to the B on the older one.

The beam of the newer one is very noticeably warmer than the older one and the output, measured with my cheap-o lux meter, is about 20% greater. This could be well within the range of manufacturing variance combined with my sampling margin of error. Tailcap current is about the same.

I'm only guessing but I suspect the increase is at least partly due to underrating the older ones and maybe a differently binned emitter.

tsl

Enlightened
Based upon my samples (only one of each) they are very nearly the same. The emitters look identical to me and the heads are identical other than the serial number on the newer KL4 begins with a C as opposed to the B on the older one.

The beam of the newer one is very noticeably warmer than the older one and the output, measured with my cheap-o lux meter, is about 20% greater. This could be well within the range of manufacturing variance combined with my sampling margin of error. Tailcap current is about the same.

I'm only guessing but I suspect the increase is at least partly due to underrating the older ones and maybe a differently binned emitter.

I thought maybe SF had upgraded to a XP-G emitter, but if the emitters look identical, then I guess not. Thanks!

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
seems strange that Surefire wouldn't update the specs on their site?

Maybe to give their dealers a chance to clear out their older 120 lumen stock? It is pretty crazy, the first I saw the 170 lumen version was in the marketplace, and when you Googled it nothing came up until this thread.

PowershipMC

Newly Enlightened
I have had the 120 Lumen one for years and loved it. After seeing a few of the 170 lumen version for sale on a few boards, I was unable to find any info on it like everyone else. A seller on Ebay had several for $75 USD so I bought one, I was going to buy 2 but I was unsure of what to expect from the output. After receiving it I was really impressed, noticed a brighter white and tighter hot spot verses the older one where it had a greenish flood type output. After seeing the output I wish I did buy another but they are sold out. It is a great everyday carry light imo.

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

Newer ones appear the have a "C" in the serial number

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

From about 4 feet away

Last edited:

tsl

Enlightened
I have had the 120 Lumen one for years and loved it. After seeing a few of the 170 lumen version for sale on a few boards, I was unable to find any info on it like everyone else. A seller on Ebay had several for $75 USD so I bought one, I was going to buy 2 but I was unsure of what to expect from the output. After receiving it I was really impressed, noticed a brighter white and tighter hot spot verses the older one where it had a greenish flood type output. After seeing the output I wish I did buy another but they are sold out. It is a great everyday carry light imo.

Thanks. The 120 lumen L4 that I have has a tight hot spot and white tint ... not at all like the floody LuxV predecessor. The emitters between both (120 lumen and 170 lumen) are P4s.

Thanks for the pics!

Illum

Flashaholic
Okay... :thinking:
Prefix A = LuxV 60lm
Prefix B = SSC 120lm
Prefix C = SSC 170lm

So one way to see the change would be to post two L4s, one B one C side by side. A difference in brightness will confirm the presence of a new driver and not just a spec readjustment

EDIT: Turns out the C series of L4s uses a SSC LED with much more phosphor coating resulting in a yellowish output with a slight purple hue in the middle.
B on left C on right
2yueps0.jpg

ek58id.jpg

Now heres the difference
B on right C on left
2q34scn.jpg

I misplaced my multimeter, so no current readings was made

Last edited:

PowershipMC

Newly Enlightened
Prefix A = LuxV 60lm
Prefix B = SSC 120lm
Prefix C = SSC 170lm

So one way to see the change would be to post two L4s, one B one C side by side. A difference in brightness will confirm the presence of a new driver and not just a spec readjustment

More Pics... New L4 on left, Old "A" L4 on Right. Both have new batteries. I do not have a "B" Version.

IMG_1668.jpg

Last edited:

tsl

Enlightened
Prefix A = LuxV 60lm
Prefix B = SSC 120lm
Prefix C = SSC 170lm

Regarding B and C, they both have the same runtime, and post 2 said that the tailcap current was approx. the same between the two. I'm thinking a spec readjustment, but I could be wrong.

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
I have an L4 with a B head that I purchased in May and I just got one of the 170 lumens C heads and the beam shape, color and intensity is exactly the same.

foxdoublegunner

Newly Enlightened
SUREFIRE L4 LUMAMAX

A couple of weeks ago my wife told me that she needed a good portable flashlight to use when she does night photography. Since I had a very serviceable Surefire 6PX (200 Lumen power), I decided to give that to her along with the leather holster and take the opportunity to shop for a new light. For some time I have had my eyes on one of the Surefire models with a detachable head, in particular an A2 or an E2. After some research, I saw that the L4 was recently upgraded to a 170 Lumen head and I had a chance to get one for a reasonable price NIB. A few days ago my new lamp showed up at the doorstep, just in time for a field trip. Luckily, it fit very well in my old mini-maglite leather belt holster. The fit and finish of the L4 light is excellent. I partucularly appreciate the knurling on the body as well as the belt clip to which you can atttach a lanyard. My old light lacked these details. Tthe intensity of the light is very nearly the same as that of the 6PX. After using it in the field for several days, I am very satisfied with the purchase. Surefire lights are not cheap but they certainly are well made.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: SUREFIRE L4 LUMAMAX

I am not seeing a 170 lumen L4 when doing a google search. Don't usually ask for links from new members, but please supply one for this 170 lumen L4.

Bill

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast

yearnslow

Enlightened

I suspected my C2L KX4 was more than 120 lumens. It has the same emitter as the L4 yes?

tsl

Enlightened

I am not seeing a 170 lumen L4 when doing a google search. Don't usually ask for links from new members, but please supply one for this 170 lumen L4.

Bill

Bill, the new red packaging for the L4 states 170 lumens. Appears to just be a more realistic indication of output instead of an understated 120 lumens.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire tuned it up to 170 lumens a while ago. Here´s a picture of the box of my L4 I just sold a few days ago:

surefire-l4.jpg

Eric

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Thanks guys, my googling did not show a 170 L4. Glad to see that they upgraded it. I wonder if they changed to another LED?

Bill