Cree brand XP-G (R5) LED vs Cree brand XP-G (S2) LED

appliancejunk

Enlightened
What should one expect to be the difference between these two LED's?

I picked up a Fenix PD22 today with the XP-G (R5)

When I compare the PD22 to my Fenix LD12 that has the XP-G (S2) the PD22 seems to have a very light purple tint to it.

I did not notice the purple tint of the PD22 XP-G (R5) until I compared it to the LD12 XP-G (S2).

Even after comparing them if I wait 5 minutes or so and then just try the PD22 right away I don't notice any purple tint until I turn on the LD12 XP-G (S2) and compare them again.

So I'm wondering if this slight purple tint is because of the XP-G (R5) LED in the PD22.

The Fenix PD22 is also available with the XP-G (S2) LED and I'm tempted to order it to see if it's as white looking as my LD12.

The Fenix PD22 with the XP-G (S2) LED is also 10lm brighter on turbo, but could I also expect it to be a little bit whiter too?

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Bin does not guarantee tint. When the S2 was released, many people complained that they were green. You got an R5 that's a bit purple, but that is not true of all R5s. It sounds like you got lucky with your S2 and a bit unlucky with your R5 (though if you can't tell normally, you didn't get that unlucky). If you want a tint guarantee, you have to buy from a company that tells you what tint you're getting or that is known to select good tints when they order their emitters.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
So the only difference one should expect between the R5 and S2 is the extra brightness on turbo?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Ok, good to know, thanks.
I will just stop comparing the two before I drive myself crazy, lol...

Last edited:

appliancejunk

Enlightened
When the S2 was released, many people complained that they were green.

Well now I think it has happened, I have gone crazy. ;)

If I hold both the Fenix PD22 (R5) and LD12 (S2) about one inch over my white macbook the (S2) looks a bit green now, lol...

Funny how I can think a light looks one color until it's compared to something else.

One more questions about these two LED's.

Is the S2 more efficient then the R5 or is that determined by the circuit that drives them?

I'm wondering because even though the S2 shows it being 10lm brighter on turbo the run time is the same.

Thanks again for all the info.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S2 are soooooo last season, the xpg2 is the new in thing to get. Quark has them, hopefully Fenix will to by 2013

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now I think it has happened, I have gone crazy. ;)

If I hold both the Fenix PD22 (R5) and LD12 (S2) about one inch over my white macbook the (S2) looks a bit green now, lol...

Funny how I can think a light looks one color until it's compared to something else.

One more questions about these two LED's.

Is the S2 more efficient then the R5 or is that determined by the circuit that drives them?

I'm wondering because even though the S2 shows it being 10lm brighter on turbo the run time is the same.

Thanks again for all the info.

Its supposed to be both brighter and more efficient but then I guess it depends how's driven. For the S2 version Fenix might have used a different driver to max brightness without improving runtimes.

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2