Mac's Customs Ti Tri EDC - Another Ideal EDC - An [Essay]

nbp

Flashaholic
The Why:

If you have read my Haiku essay, you know I love love my XP-G Haiku. See my sigline if you haven't. Actually, you should read that before you read this one as I refer to it a lot, and have left out some details here that were already covered there in the interest of brevity. I was hoping to keep this one a bit shorter and less flowery. I hope that it is ok, and that those who liked the other one will still find this essay thingy satisfying. ;)

I have been EDCing the Haiku for 16 months, and consider it one of the greatest EDC lights ever made. Recently, I began hankering for a HI CRI light to supplement it in my EDC kit. I thought about another Haiku with Nichia 119 after borrowing one from a friend, or putting a 119 LE in the Mule I had been carrying with my Haiku most of that time. I like carrying one 'thrower' and one 'flooder' together to use in various circumstances. Another Haiku would mean two throwers; no good. Wasn't sure if I wanted to swap engines around in the Mule. Borrowed a SunDrop from another member but the beam wasn't quite what I wanted. Whatever I got, it was to have a big, smooth, floody beam, it had to be titanium and have a good clip and preferably 1x123 sized.

I had been eyeing up Mac's Customs for a bit, but wasn't sure if I wanted one. I looked at some Tri EDC beamshots, and they seemed to be what I was after. Getting a unit from Mac looked like a pain in the butt, so I watched the Custom BST. A friend tipped me off to a Ti Tri that had popped up, so I bought it. A cool tint XP-G, old version Lux RC board equipped unit. (More on that later.)

The Ti Tri EDC

Ok, so this light arrives, and of course, I am skeptical about it and think there is no way that it is as good as the Haiku. But over time, I have used it quite a bit as an EDC in combo with the Haiku, and generated some thoughts and opinions on it.

In terms of the footprint, this light is very similar to the Haiku. Nearly identical diameter, about ¼ inch shorter. Most of that is in the head, as the body tube is very close. The ergonomics are extremely similar between the two lights. Maybe Mac handled some of Don's lights before making this, because the shape of the body tube, the flaring of the tail, clip position, everything, is very close. Because of this, I immediately took to the light as it was something I was very familiar with and it felt very good in the hand. Nearly everything I liked about the ergos of the Haiku is replicated here. The clip is virtually identical to McGizmo's in shape, size, bends and position, with the exception of the design jetted into it. Of course, the ergonomics then were pleasing to me, as you can read in my Haiku essay. It fits my hand very well. One of the main differences is the surface designs on the body and head. The Haiku has raised ribs on the body tube, and fins on the head along with some shallow scallops on the bezel edge. Mac took a more minimalist approach, with a much smoother design. The body has some slight grooves cut into it for grip, but they are beveled out and very sleek. The head is totally smooth with no fins or ribs or grooves. If you frequently have sweaty, wet or greasy hands, the Haiku will afford you more grip. If you like sleek and quiet, the Mac may appeal to you. I personally think both look great, although the Mac seems to go in/out of my pocket easier with its slipperier body. The metal seems slightly thinner on the Tri's body and head than the Haiku, causing me to question its robustness. But I have seen some pretty trashed Tris posted around here, and haven't heard of anyone killing one, so I think it's a moot point. :shrug:

photo3ix.jpg

photo2rz.jpg

photowj.jpg

Perhaps the most incredible part of this light is that Mac does all his own machining. Yowza! Grab one of these things, feel it over, twist the threads…flawless. There is no denying the fact that Mac is a phenomenal machinist and he demands perfection of himself when building these lights one by one in his shop.

As mentioned in my Haiku essay, or rather discussed quite extensively, I am all about clips. A good clip is critical for me for an EDC light of this size. I will not have it bopping about in the bottom of my pocket. This clip, like Don's, is excellent. The bends in it allow for superb comfort for the hand, and it clips like a clamp, just like I like. Nice and tight, no chance of losing a light. Well done. And like I mentioned, the smoother bezel makes it a bit easier to get on and off the pocket than the Haiku, even with the tight clip action.

The switch in this light is the venerable McClicky, which I discussed in my previous review. One of the best switches out there IMO. The action is crisp and positive, they are reliable and durable, and if it ever fails it's easy to replace. A simple forward clicky, it's a great choice for a multimode light like this one. I think it was a good selection for Mac.

photo1ko.jpg

I was a bit disconcerted to find out this light ran another special battery. I have CR123 primaries and RCR123s, but Mac recommends AW IMR 18350s for this light due to the high current draw. Apparently primaries and 16340s just won't hack it, and can be damaged. So I had to buy a couple new cells to run this puppy. It's not a big problem, as I like rechargeables for my EDCs, but it's a couple more dollars to add to the cost of light. Just something to think about. The Haiku runs happily on primaries or 16340s, which does make it a bit more flexible in a pinch. The Tri is definitely geared more toward the enthusiast. Fortunately, I am. ;)

When it comes to the guts, the old board that this light had sucked. I really thought it was wonky… I mean, H/M/L mode progression with no memory?! Turn it on and get blasted with 600 lumens! That was crazy, and I didn't like it at all. I prefer some kind of memory, or at least a lower mode to start. The cool tint was ok, but I wanted a HI CRI light so that was going to have to change. I liked the lumen junkie approach Mac takes though, and the 600 lms he squeezed out of this little light was impressive. If you like a lot of lumens, Mac is a custom builder you should get to know. He gets the lumen fixation. ;) The downside of that though is very short runtimes on high, and a light that gets real hot real fast. The newer lights have L/M/H with memory from what I understand, but mine had to get fixed up to meet my specs.

Off to flucero28 it went. (Frank is the bomb to deal with, guys, for real. Very good guy, very good modder, completely happy with his work. :thumbsup: ) He put in a tri XP-G HI CRI star for me, and a slick new driver that could be programmed with up to nine modes of my choosing with a few memory options. He has the ability to set it up just how you want it. I had him program four modes with traditional memory: a <1 lm moonlight mode, ~10 lm, 80 lms, 300 lms. I like a good moonlight mode for late night adventures or in a tent, the other mid modes are good for most EDC needs, and the high for when I need more. I didn't want the high to be as high as Mac's high, as I wanted longer battery life and better heat management. The difference between the 300 and 600 is not as much as you'd think and you get the benefit of more runtime and a bit less heat. For me the tradeoff is worth it. I am very pleased with this setup. Don is a bit more conservative from the start, and values longevity and practicality, and his drive levels reflect that. I molded the Mac modes sort of like the Haiku modes, albeit with the addition of the moonlight mode. The new boards Mac is using sound much more practical, and I believe they can be programmed as well. And he does have a few options for different emitters for you.

maccf.jpg

The thing I have been enamored with from the start, and even more so with the HI CRI emitters is the beam. I LOVE the beam on this light. It's a big, smooth, fuzzy dot of light. More throw than the Mule, but no sharply defined hotspot like the Haiku. A great close up work light with enough throw that it could easily be your go-to EDC. At least for me…. This is the beam I wanted the SunDrop to have, a big disc of light, with no rings or artifacts. For me, it's nearly an ideal beam pattern, and I am very very pleased. The HI CRI XP-Gs are nice, with a very pleasant neutral-warm tint, and good color rendering. Recently, this light was the only light I really used on a camping trip, and it was an excellent companion outdoors. I have no complaints with the beam, and really, that's the most important part of the light anyways, right?

Ok, here are my attempts to show beam pattern with an iPhone. Both lights on high (about 185 lms for Haiku XP-G and 300 for Tri HI CRI), on a table 5 feet from the wall. I find that the pattern holds true out to further distances as well. You can see that the Haiku has a bright hotspot surrounded by considerable spill. It throws farther, and also interestingly enough, has a wider total spill than the Tri does. However, there is a significant disparity between the brightness of the hotspot and spill. It's not a problem, just the result of a smaller die with a reflector. The Tri does not reach as far, and may have a slightly smaller total beam pattern, but the brightness is pretty consistent across the beam, with the 'hotspot' and 'spill' being far less distinguishable from each other. It is more of 'disc' of light, if you want to call it that. Reminiscient of the SunDrop but brighter and less ringy.

Haiku

photo2fr.jpg

Tri EDC

photo1zh.jpg

Overall, I am extremely pleased with my Ti Tri HI CRI (after a few mods of course, as the stock version wasn't what I would have ordered if I bought from Mac directly). I love the feel and ergonomics, the clip, the switch, the (new) UI, and the beam pattern. I think this is a stellar EDC light. As with any light, there may be little niggles, but the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion. I love Ti, and am really happy with this Ti piece, but it seems you get the same great quality in any of the materials Mac offers. I am hesitant to say I like it more than the Haiku, as I just don't know yet…but I would say they are very close competitors, and if you like one you probably will like the other. I believe they are excellent companions and they have been working together really well for me. But on its own, the Tri EDC is certainly an excellent light and I don't think you can go wrong.

Give the Tri a chance, it's another Ideal EDC in my book. :)

Hope this is helpful for you folks, and if I missed anything, please let me know. :thumbsup:

Size comparison with my other Ti lights for fun..

44612378.jpg

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hah! I knew it!

I've simply not bothered trying to find a light to compete with my Tri-EDC.

I went a different way and got a new Lux-RC board set up the way I wanted it... For me that's 10, 200, 500 lumens, start on low with no memory at all, with the same High CRI XP-G's.

Mine's only bare Al, but had taken an incredible beating over time and doesn't skip a beat.

ajaqa6y5.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey buddy.

That driver sounds pretty good too. Decent levels, and most importantly, a reasonable starting point. I can do without memory if it starts at a lower level, but I like mem too as I sometimes like to select a level other than the first if I plan to use it on the same level for awhile.

And that light is definitely well loved! :wow:

Shooter21

Enlightened
If only there was some communication with Mac. I ordered a tri edc 5 weeks ago and no word from mac about my order.

gunga

Flashaholic
Thanks for the essay. I was thinking of getting another McGizmo to go with the haiku, but I think I want one or these.

How hard or expensive is it to get the levels reprogrammed? Love your 4 modes!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
was wondering when this was coming, great write up!

that beam is really selling me right now, love beams without any defining edges. sort of like a "ball of light" hehe or a beam with big hotspot+corona, but no spill.

the driver flucero28 put in can also be programmed for 2 modes? with or without memory?
can the programming be changed, or is it set?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only there was some communication with Mac. I ordered a tri edc 5 weeks ago and no word from mac about my order.

It's a bit like that.

At one point my Tri-EDC had an issue and was sent back to Mac. At the same time I'd ordered a 3300L. I'm pretty sure I was without it for nearly 6 months.

That said, once you get it in your sweaty little hand and light up your backyard with something this tiny and beautiful, you'll forget all about it.

You can rely on Mac that it will be delivered... You just have to be patient.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for the essay. I was thinking of getting another McGizmo to go with the haiku, but I think I want one or these.

How hard or expensive is it to get the levels reprogrammed? Love your 4 modes!

I think you will really like it. I am very happy with the modes I selected as well. :ahh: PM incoming.

was wondering when this was coming, great write up!

that beam is really selling me right now, love beams without any defining edges. sort of like a "ball of light" hehe or a beam with big hotspot+corona, but no spill.

the driver flucero28 put in can also be programmed for 2 modes? with or without memory?
can the programming be changed, or is it set?

Thanks very much!

I too like this kind of beam pattern, and it has really won me over. The optics used in this light are great. I have never had a triple before, but I sure have come to like it.

This is the description that Frank gave me for all the options for his driver, I hope it is ok for me to post it as it is just spec statements, and I think it will really help people to see the flexibility of this unit. He can leave it in programmable mode and reprogram it for you at any time if you wish.

Atiny Program Options

-Up to 9 modes, can be programmed for whatever brightness level user desires, including light shows (strobe, beacon, SOS).
-Modes can be arranged in whatever order the user desires.
-Mode memory has 3 different options:
1. No memory - Always reverts to first mode in mode list when turned off/on.
2. Traditional memory – Stores last used mode, mode change results in the next mode in the mode list being selected.
3. Hybrid memory – Stores last used mode, mode change results in reverting to the first mode in the mode list. This is a good compromise between wanting mode memory, but not having to scroll through all modes in the mode list if you put your most used modes towards the beginning of the list.
-Mode memory duration, this is the amount of time in seconds that must elapse before mode memory is stored. Default is 2 seconds. This makes mode selection easier, however is inconvenient when using short bursts of light, because you will change modes if you do not keep the light on long enough.
There are 3 different options:
1. Two seconds – This is the default value. This is best for ease of mode selection, and if the user does not need to use short momentary bursts of light.
2. One second – This is good compromise between ease of mode selection, and ability to use short momentary bursts of light.
3. One Half Second – This is a good value for a light that may see duty use or for "tactical" use. Allows the user to have the ability to have additional modes however makes it nearly impossible to accidentally change modes, even while using short momentary bursts of light. Changing modes must be done very quickly.

- All of the programs feature low battery ramp-down, to maintain the highest level of light output possible with the existing battery charge level. This also will result in the longest possible runtimes with useable light.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great read! I went through a similar process and in reverse. I started with the Mac and ended up with the Haiku (in part because of you, ironically). In my case my Mac was a XML EDC, but for the purposes of this discussion, it is a reasonable proxy for the Mac Tri.

My personal feeling on the Mac vs. Don rumble can be summed up in the following statements...

I prefer the Haiku because:

1. It is not driven really hard like the Mac which is at 2.8A. My tendency is to use lights on their max mode even if I don't need that much light. Created heat issues with the Mac (couldn't hold the light).
2. I like the sapphire lens on the Haiku. I know in the real world, it likely doesn't matter that much, but it is nice to know I will never scratch it.
3. I prefer the grip of the Haiku. I found the Mac a little too slick.
4. The Haiku is dead easy to break into it's component parts. Mind you, I didn't really try with the Mac, but there is a reason why I did not (see next point).
5. There is an eco-system of parts available for the Haiku. You can get different bodies (battery configurations) and light engines. The light is E-series compatible. You are not limited to Don's parts (although they are great).
6. Don generally has lights available for shipping. They are easier to order than Mac's. Instant gratification.
7. The Haiku doesn't require 18350 batteries. I understand the need for those for the Mac, but I don't 'want' to need other batteries. I just want to get along with any 16340 shaped cell I can find.

YMMV.

I will agree that Mac's machining is without equal that I have seen. Simply incredible.

Incidentally, what is the light beside the Mako on your hand (Nautilus?)

eala

gunga

Flashaholic
I do intend to get my upcoming Mac programmed for moonlight and perhaps a more reasonable max too. I also happen to have a few 18350s due to my Jetbeam tcr1s. Of course I now have to sell one to pay for the Mac! Geez nbp, now look what you did!

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great write up. I have been eyeing Mac's light for a while. Love the sleek look of the host and who doesn't love the look of a triple. Even when they are not on they have a screaming look to them. You have a great collection of lights there, jealous. My itch will have to wait a while bought to many lights lately. Hate using self control.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Great essay ... glad to hear how well the Mac is working out for you :twothumbs

When will you add the link for this excellent thread to your sigline, too ? ;)

nbp

Flashaholic
Great essay/review. The 'essay' format is very helpful in communicating how the light works.

Thanks very much. I don't have the technical knowledge some do in their reviews, but I can use a flashlight, so that's how I prefer to describe them. As a user. :)

Great read! I went through a similar process and in reverse. I started with the Mac and ended up with the Haiku (in part because of you, ironically). In my case my Mac was a XML EDC, but for the purposes of this discussion, it is a reasonable proxy for the Mac Tri.

My personal feeling on the Mac vs. Don rumble can be summed up in the following statements...

I prefer the Haiku because:

1. It is not driven really hard like the Mac which is at 2.8A. My tendency is to use lights on their max mode even if I don't need that much light. Created heat issues with the Mac (couldn't hold the light).
2. I like the sapphire lens on the Haiku. I know in the real world, it likely doesn't matter that much, but it is nice to know I will never scratch it.
3. I prefer the grip of the Haiku. I found the Mac a little too slick.
4. The Haiku is dead easy to break into it's component parts. Mind you, I didn't really try with the Mac, but there is a reason why I did not (see next point).
5. There is an eco-system of parts available for the Haiku. You can get different bodies (battery configurations) and light engines. The light is E-series compatible. You are not limited to Don's parts (although they are great).
6. Don generally has lights available for shipping. They are easier to order than Mac's. Instant gratification.
7. The Haiku doesn't require 18350 batteries. I understand the need for those for the Mac, but I don't 'want' to need other batteries. I just want to get along with any 16340 shaped cell I can find.

YMMV.

I will agree that Mac's machining is without equal that I have seen. Simply incredible.

Incidentally, what is the light beside the Mako on your hand (Nautilus?)

eala

I have gotten that a few times. (bold) :nana:

I can definitely understand your points, and I agree with much of it, you're right on. That is a great addendum to the comparison between these two Custom EDC behemoths. Should be helpful to people interested in these lights.

Yes, that is a Ti Nautilus. My other favorite custom maker. :eek:oo: McG, Muyshondt and Mac are the best when it comes to EDC lights!

I do intend to get my upcoming Mac programmed for moonlight and perhaps a more reasonable max too. I also happen to have a few 18350s due to my Jetbeam tcr1s. Of course I now have to sell one to pay for the Mac! Geez nbp, now look what you did!

:devil:

I'm waiting for my kickbacks from Mac and Don. :laughing:

flucero28 is the man for reprograms, just shoot him a message and he can get you dialed in. :rock:

Great write up. I have been eyeing Mac's light for a while. Love the sleek look of the host and who doesn't love the look of a triple. Even when they are not on they have a screaming look to them. You have a great collection of lights there, jealous. My itch will have to wait a while bought to many lights lately. Hate using self control.

Thank you very much, they have been carefully selected and all get used. I have some other lights I like a great deal too, but those are my favorites for carry. They aren't shelf queens, they get some love!

Great essay ... glad to hear how well the Mac is working out for you :twothumbs

When will you add the link for this excellent thread to your sigline, too ? ;)

Thanks for your help as well friend, it is appreciated. Looking forward to your thoughts when you pick up one of these babies. :poke: :grin2:

Link added! Stupid 500 character limit on siglines including link addresses means I had delete some other stuff to fit it though. :scowl:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Link added! Stupid 500 character limit on siglines including link addresses means I had delete some other stuff to fit it though. :scowl:

The 500 character limit includes the URL's inside the links. If you use goo.gl to shorten them, you'll free up some characters for text.

nbp

Flashaholic
The 500 character limit includes the URL's inside the links. If you use goo.gl to shorten them, you'll free up some characters for text.

That helped, thanks!

Though google is probably right now selling my reviews to some flashlight site in Indonesia or something. Haha

jalal20

Enlightened
nbp

I read ur Haiku Essay while my Haiku was on its way to my hands. It took a while to get here but it was worth the wait and you didn't make it any easier on me with all the stuff you talked about in your essay. Today,3 days after receiving my 2 Tri EDCs (one of them is Ti and the other Cerakoted), I couldn't be happier that my 2 current EDC (Haiku Cool white and Tri 219) Lights are actually considered the 2 top lights not just by me and you, but by most of our peers around here:twothumbs

dolphincry

Newly Enlightened
nice essay nbp :thumbsup: I have two Mac Custom, Copper Tri EDC and Brass EDC SST50 and I am loving em. Would love to add Ti version to my collection and McGizmo (Haiku and Makai) as well. and yes agree with all of your points, need to be patient with Mac and you wont be disappointed with the one of the finest custom piece that will be evergreen in your collection.