Malkoff MD2

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased an Malkoff MD2 with the M61w and hi/low ring to use as my new duty light. I was previously using an HDS but it had to be sent back for warranty replacement and who knows when I'll get it back with the severe production delays they've been having. So to hold me over I went with what appears to be the next most praised light on CPF. Well now that I have it the only negative comment I have is the anodizing wasn't uniform. The head and tail were fine, glossy black, but the body was different, almost a brownish-purple color. The oddest part was the off colored anodizing was very noticeable under certain lights but not so much, if at all, under others. Anyone else find this to be the case with their MD2? So far that is my only grip, and being it's a work light which means it will get used rough I'll probably just live with it, it's going to get marked up soon enough anyway. Everything else about it is pretty good. This is the first warm LED I've had and I like it, not exactly identical to my old P6 in color but close and way better obviously in output and runtime. The beam profile is great, very useful with bright spill and enough throw for me. The hi/low ring is practical and works well. The switch is good and better then I thought it would be. It had a nice amount of momentary travel before clicking which I liked. The one thing I didn't get was the pocket clip because they're out of stock but I believe it's going to have to be a must. This thing needs it for the anti-roll properties and to keep it from flying out of my pocket which it already did. This light feels noticeably heavy for it's size. In fact that was the first thing I thought when I picked it up. I'm fine with that, as long as it's heavy duty and holds up well. Right now I'm feeding it primaries but I have some 18650s on the way so I'll see soon enough how it does with those.

So far so good. Other then a minor cosmetic issue it seems to live up to the reviews. Kind of regret I didn't get one sooner but better late then never.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The parts are anodized in separate batches, and this ends up with some variations in finish color.
If you want to be sure of the same color, you have to have all of it anodized in the same bath.
Since the Malkoff parts are "mix and match" parts in a "Lego" style modularity, they often have some color variations between parts. Generally they are pretty close, but occasionally you get the more obvious color mismatch.

The M61 will only run regulated for a short time on a single 18650, and then it will drop out of regulation and go on a long slow dimming taper down to the voltage cutoff point. Some people prefer this mode of operation because it gives them indication of the battery condition, and doesn't leave them with an abrupt cut-off of light without warning.
If you prefer to stay in regulation the whole time, you'll want to use a pair of smaller batteries, such as 2 x RCR123.

That entire light package is a very nice rig. I find the Hi/Lo switch to be a must-have option.

When you get the delrin tail-ring with the clip on it, it goes on easier if you heat the delrin ring in very hot water first, and then it goes right on and shrink-fits. Use some hand protection to avoid burning your hands when you do that, obviously.

Nice choice in lights!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M61 will only run regulated for a short time on a single 18650, and then it will drop out of regulation and go on a long slow dimming taper down to the voltage cutoff point. Some people prefer this mode of operation because it gives them indication of the battery condition, and doesn't leave them with an abrupt cut-off of light without warning.

This is a great thing with Malkoff parts, one can vary between different batteries for different desires. Now I use the new Wildcat with MD4 body and 2x18650s. Also I can use the MD4 and 18650s with M61, and then I will get very good regulated runtime, even better than 3xCR123 I guess?

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great thing with Malkoff parts, one can vary between different batteries for different desires. Now I use the new Wildcat with MD4 body and 2x18650s. Also I can use the MD4 and 18650s with M61, and then I will get very good regulated runtime, even better than 3xCR123 I guess?

If you use a pair of 3000mah 18650 in the MD4, you'll get double the run time that you would get from 3xCR123 in the MD3.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use a pair of 3000mah 18650 in the MD4, you'll get double the run time that you would get from 3xCR123 in the MD3.

Really nice! Just tried the MD4/2x18650 with M61WL, it would provide extremely good runtime for that brightness.

rumack

Enlightened
I haven't noticed color mismatches in my Malkoff bodies. Where I run into the color mismatch problem is with Surefire HA components but as has been said, it seems that is just the way it goes with anodizing. I agree that any light with a Malkoff drop-in feels heavy for its size but that is because Malkoff drop-ins are as solid as a rock so the weight doesn't bother me. I almost never use a pocket clip on a light but I think you are correct that a clip would be useful on the Malkoff bodies for anti-roll. The lack of anti-roll can be annoying.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Prometheus Titanium clip for Surefire lights, and also an Oveready Z58/Z59/HDS stainless steel pocket clip.

Because the Prometheus clip nearly touches the head of an MD2, it provides more resistance to removal than the Oveready clip. On the flip side, it needs to be pulled from the light body a small amount in order for it to slip over the pocket material of blue jeans. This is easily accomplished after a little practice.

The Oveready clip allows the MD2 to slide into a pocket with relative ease, so which you prefer will depend on which is more important....security or ease of insertion. From an appearance perspective, I prefer the Prometheus clip's slim long profile over the Oveready's short, chunky profile.

My Malkoff components exhibit a very noticeable difference in anodizing tint. I just matched the heads and tails up to the bodies with similar tints. If I only had one light that came with components with the lightest and darkest tints, it would definitely look a little odd. Naturally, this wouldn't affect performance at all.

Grizz

Last edited: