Looking for Anti-lockout Knob/Lever Set in $20–$50 Range...

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to change the doorknob on my bedroom door with no lock to one with the following features:

1) Can be traditional knob or lever design
2) Key on the outside
3) Button or twisty knob on the inside
4) Push button or twist knob to lock door from inside
5) Twisting the knob or turning the lever from the inside unlocks the door
6) Closing the door unlocks the door
7) Screw holes at the 3 o' clock and 6 o' clock position

This way, I cannot lock myself out of my bedroom by accident, as closing the door will open the lock. If I am in the room, I can lock it,
and if I exit the room, I can use the key to lock it, but I cannot lock myself out.

I found a few products that do this, but they require making holes in the 12 o' clock and 6 o' clock position, and the screw holes in my door are at the 3 o' clock and 9 o' clock position. I don't want to/cannot make new holes in the door.

Does anyone know of any products in the $20 to $50 range that meet these specs?

The Best AB F109 here and the Best AB F109 here are what I have in mind, since they unlock if the door is closed. But these appear to be a totally different, "commercial" size than what I have here at home, and the products are very expensive.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Residential doorknob screws generally go through the inside of the same hole as the turning setup, clamping both sides to the door. Unless you have a special setup (which will cost more for anything) it shouldn't matter old v new screw setup. If its not clear, take the current knob apart to check.

Generally, push button styles also have unlock holes on the outside (think bathroom) so a key option usually requires the turn knob. A setup that unlocks when the striker is pushed in (unlock when closing) would make it easier to break in, so that would be harder to find in combination with a key.

How about just adding a deadbolt (lever on the inside) and keeping the key in your pocket?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, Mr. Guru. :)

You are absolutely right about what you say.

I've thought about this a lot since posting, and I think I found a product which matches my wishes.

Instead of having a keyed outside, I went with a knob that has a hole on the outside, a "privacy knob."

I found someone to trade me two sets for something I wasn't using.

It meets the following requirements:

1) Can be traditional knob or lever design

3) Button or twisty knob on the inside
4) Push button or twist knob to lock door from inside
5) Twisting the knob or turning the lever from the inside unlocks the door
6) Closing the door unlocks the door
7) Screw holes at the 3 o' clock and 6 o' clock position

It does not meet this requirement:

2) Key on the outside

Instead, it has a hole with can be pushed open with a simple tool.

Since I traded for two, I will install one on my bathroom, and one on my bedroom door.

For anyone who is curious, the part number is Yale 5302, "Privacy, Bedroom, or Bath Lock."

You can download the PDF catalog here.

Scroll down to page four, part 5302 (F76B).

I would never pay retail cost for these, which is one of the reasons I am a big fan of trading.

When I vacate the premises, I'll put back the basic knobs that were there.

There is a knob in that catalog which precisely matches my original requirements,
Yale part 5322 (F90) on page five.

If and when a killer deal on one pops up, I may snag one or two.

But for now, assuming the trade goes through okay, I think the 5302 will work just fine.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, NonSenCe. I didn't see your post because I hit reply at the same time.

These locks aren't easy to find; I went to both Lowe's and Home Depot and patiently explained to the guy
in hardware what I was looking for without success. I told him I carefully researched what I was looking for before coming in,
and he said that he knew exactly what I meant, and that the Kwikset knobs they sold were exactly what I was looking for.

I told him that I didn't think that was the case, and patiently went over what I was looking for.

He opened a brand new Kwikset to "show" me I was wrong; I slowly explained what I meant again
and he agreed they didn't carry it.

ElectronGuru is right in that you could probably manipulate the latch to "trick" the lock into thinking the door was closing
to open it, but I am not talking about a high-theft area.

In the end, I went with the privacy version, Yale 5302, because:

1) I got two sets in a trade, so I only paid to ship my end of the deal
2) I really didn't need a key; the privacy function is enough for a bedroom and bathroom
3) It looks well made
4) It was the only one I could find

The Kwikset stuff sold in Lowe's and Home Depot is generally junk.

Schlage seems to be a notch up, but it appears getting NOS stuff made in the U.S.A. is the best bet.

All these are heavily susceptible to bump key attacks.

One day, I'll get a deadbolt with a dimple/Abloy style key, but until then,
NOS U.S.A. parts seem like the best deal.

As a complete and total aside, I came home from work a couple days ago,
put my key in my Kwikset deadbolt, and found it spun freely—he's dead, Jim!

No faith in the Kwikset stuff at all!

I have no affiliation with the seller, so if someone else is interested in getting one,
please feel free to email me. (PM is an additional hassle)

I haven't been on CPF much the last four months,
but this is a great community with highly intelligent folk that are a great resource in many technological fields.

If you are curious about the different features out there on doorknobs,
feel free to browse the Yale ANSI Grade 2 catalog linked above here.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I told him I carefully researched what I was looking for before coming in...

In practice, the more something is researched and the more specific the selected product, the less likely a given store is to have it. Its usually just faster at that point to get it mail order. i.e., the longer something takes to find online, the less likely it is to be standard enough to be on a given shelf.

Speaking of locks, there's been a frightening increase in the use of double key (key on both sides) deadbolts since the advent of do-it-yourself warehouses. These seem to be intended to secure gates, where someone might jump over the fence and unlock the yard. But folks are using them on interior/exterior doors and leaving the key sitting in the lock on the inside :)fail:).

Some of ways this can go wrong:

key gets lost, can't get out the door (fire, etc)
key gets broken off, can't get out the door (fire, etc)
key gets taken, can't get out the door (hostage situation)
key is copied for later use (burglary)
key makes getting out slower in a panic (fire, etc)

I've been in houses with 4-6 primary doors have these on 100% of doors. Unbelievable!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
In practice, the more something is researched and the more specific the selected product, the less likely a given store is to have it. Its usually just faster at that point to get it mail order. i.e., the longer something takes to find online, the less likely it is to be standard enough to be on a given shelf.

I totally agree. I severely doubted they carried it, period. But I had to pass by both on the way home from work, and like flashlights,
I love browsing locks. :)

ElectronGuru said:
Speaking of locks, there's been a frightening increase in the use of double key (key on both sides) deadbolts since the advent of do-it-yourself warehouses. These seem to be intended to secure gates, where someone might jump over the fence and unlock the yard. But folks are using them on interior/exterior doors and leaving the key sitting in the lock on the inside :)fail:).

Some of ways this can go wrong:

key gets lost, can't get out the door (fire, etc)
key gets broken off, can't get out the door (fire, etc)
key gets taken, can't get out the door (hostage situation)
key is copied for later use (burglary)
key makes getting out slower in a panic (fire, etc)

I've been in houses with 4-6 primary doors have these on 100% of doors. Unbelievable!

I am with you on this one 100%. They are looking for trouble with this approach!

I spoke with someone last week about double cylinder deadbolts when I was mentioning my doorknob hunt,
and they knew someone who perished in a fire because they could not find the key to let themselves out. :(