Powertools, Man

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Most powertool threads revolve around battery harvesting, so heres one about the tools themselves.

I grew up using metal bodied drills. One speed, forward only, no brake, a button to keep the trigger engaged, and a bowl full of chuck keys. When I was old enough to start investing in my own power tools, I picked out a drill with all the modern conveniences. Variable speed trigger, brakes to stop the drill when released, 2 speed transmission, keyless chuck, reverse, 7 setting clutch, and most of all, batteries. At the risk of overstating things, I waited as long as I could, then bought the best I could (dewalt 14.4).

Fast forward 20 years, the drill etc are still going strong. Save new batteries and one new motor, the entire set is fully functional, with another 10 years in it. Including the breaking of hundreds of Z41 tailcaps a year (custom bit). But looking around at the current power tool market, my trusty companion is simply obsolete. Really really obsolete. Impact drive, hammer drill, extra tranny speed, 15 extra clutch settings, lithium ion batteries, brushless motors, built in LEDs, instant chuck.

Half the size/weight at twice the power. Techno-lust aside, it simply isn't practical not to upgrade.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I'm not sure if I need another cup of coffee after reading your OP,, or one less??:cool:

..anyway, I still like corded stuff, call me old fashion.
My heavy drill is a corded Dewalt DWD110K (for larger duties only)

my cordless one is weak,, and that's exactly what I want in it.

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah you dont mention weight or foot pounds. I like my old plug in 3 pound makita impact drivers for EVERYTHING.

Powerful efficient impacting 88.5 ft.lbs. (1,062 in.lbs.)
True variable speed (0-3,200 RPM) for controlled fastening.
Compact design and weighs only 2.9 lbs.
Externally accessible brushes for easy serviceability and dual ball bearings for longer tool life.
Rubberized pistol grip for more comfort, control and reduced operator fatigue.

I also have a the model under/before this one, I dont have the model number but it is the exact same only without the metal hang clip thing, slightly less powerful which is handy for smaller screws and bits..

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
+

I'm not sure if I need another cup of coffee after reading your OP,, or one less??:cool:

..anyway, I still like corded stuff, call me old fashion.
My heavy drill is a corded Dewalt DWD110K (for larger duties only)

my cordless one is weak,, and that's exactly what I want in it.

So, that's DC for untethered fun and AC to get it done?.............That's been my experience!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
yeah you dont mention weight or foot pounds. I like my old plug in 3 pound makita impact drivers for EVERYTHING.

Powerful efficient impacting 88.5 ft.lbs. (1,062 in.lbs.)
True variable speed (0-3,200 RPM) for controlled fastening.
Compact design and weighs only 2.9 lbs.

That's part of my shock/excitement. The latest 18/20v cordless are 1500 in/lb, 3300rpm (with 3 speed/scale trigger for even more control), 5in long, 3 lbs with battery and enough run time for hundreds of screws. It's nuts!

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, back when I was doing commercial electric rough in 5 years ago I used 18v nicad Bosch gear, best stuff I could get at the time. A new 18v lithium ion equivalent feels like it's half the weight, a feather almost compared to the older nicad stuff, and the torque/RPM values aren't sacrificed for it. The newest brushless stuff is good for either 50% more runtime or more power, it's really impressive. I use a 12v, 960 in/lb bosch PS41 impact for diy projects around the house, and it's really impressive for its size and battery. What's more impressive is the only thing bigger on the new 18v ones is the battery, and the weight difference is moot holding both in your hands. The 18v has about 1400 inch lbs and way more runtime. I like my little mini-impact driver though, it's easy to control and just looks so damn adorable, i've not found it wanting for power with any reasonable fastener either.

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first "real" cordless was an 18V DeWalt that I purchased around 15 years ago and I (over)worked it nearly to death doing electrical work running nearly any type of auger bit or hole saw you can imagine. Since that time I have accumulated over a dozen or so of their 18V (along with a few 14.4's) tools so I'm pretty heavily invested in the "old" technology. I don't do electrical work any more so there's no chance I'm going to wear any of them out but the batteries may become a concern someday. However, I think they will continue to support the older style for a while.

Having said that, I have been thinking about getting a smaller and lighter 12V drill to bridge the gap between my 7.2V cordless screwdriver and the 18V drills.

On a related note, how did we ever survive before cordless drills and screwdrivers? :eek:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I like my little mini-impact driver though, it's easy to control and just looks so damn adorable, i've not found it wanting for power with any reasonable fastener either.

Having said that, I have been thinking about getting a smaller and lighter 12V drill to bridge the gap between my 7.2V cordless screwdriver and the 18V drills.

The new 12v lithiums have nearly the power of NiCad 18's, in some cases more (drill -> impact). For light to medium jobs, its all that you need. By the old scales, the DCS310 (for example) shouldn't even be possible.

On a related note, how did we ever survive before cordless drills and screwdrivers? :eek:

We used a boatload of nails ;)

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
We used a boatload of nails ;)

Ain't that the truth. Tasks like hanging drywall or building a deck were drastically different then.

When I was 17 years old (way back in the 80's) I can remember when my dad bought a Black & Decker cordless drill. I think it was a 4.8V model and had virtually no power but I loved using it for installing car stereos and other small tasks like that.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Yankee screwdriver still sees some usage, along with a nice old draw knife, and some block planes.

Last year I got an 18v Milwaulkee lithium set, and it blows away my 10yr old Porter Cable!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not even a carpenter, but I bought my 1st home in 2003, and I already had a pro grade 14.4v Porter cable cordless drill, so I started buying LOTS of power tools for my home, and for winter work jobs indoors. I learned not to buy cheaper homeowner grade tools most of the time, so I have the following:

1. Ridgid 18V Ni Cad hammer drill/driver(572 in/lbs) from late 2003
2. Ridgid 18v Ni cad circular saw(came with above tool^)
3. Ridgid 14.4v Ni Cad impact driver(850in/lbs) Rarely ever use it!
4. Ridgid plug in Jigsaw
5. Ridgid plug in orbital sander
6. Milwaukee plug in Sawzall
7. Ryobi plug in sander/polisher(hardly use)
8. Porter cable plug in detail sander(hardly use)
9. Ridgid plug in laminate cutter(hardly use)
10. Makita angle grinder
11. Porter Cable 14.4v cordless driver/drill(gave to Mom)
12. Porter Cable Air compressor
13. Porter Cable pro grade pneumatic Brad nailer(hardly use)
14. Porter Cable pro grade pneumatic Finish nailer(hardly use)
15. Ridgid magnesium 3 1/2" pneumatic Framing nailer(hardly use)
16. Ridgid pneumatic Narrow crown stapler(hardly use)

I am forgetting something, but I cant figure out what it is. Anyway, I like the newer Li Ion cordless tools, especially the Milwaukee drills with their brushless design, and usually superior torque, plus they are lighter than ever, smaller too, yet have like 700 in/lbs torque. Thats great for a cordless drill. I also want one of the Fein multimaster type tools that cuts, sands, etc. I tried one of them out, and it pretty nice. It does stuff that no other tool can. I also want a nice router, as I thought my laminate cutter might work as a light router, but it doesnt have the power(total waste of money)

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's part of my shock/excitement. The latest 18/20v cordless are 1500 in/lb, 3300rpm (with 3 speed/scale trigger for even more control), 5in long, 3 lbs with battery and enough run time for hundreds of screws. It's nuts!

start naming names! I didnt think they were that light either ie. 3 lbs or under.. Meanwhile Ill go check out Makitas latest battery powered offerings...

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the big players really, Bosch, Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, etc. Really the biggest factor is how much you like each tool's ergonomics and how invested you are in a battery system. All the ones over 1400 inch lbs I've seen are just over 3 pounds, but the 1200 and under ones don't even hit 3 with the battery. The 12v tools are only 2 pounds or so, but the new 18's with the slim/lightweight battery packs are only a pound heavier and actually balance better.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=549992

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=24056

and my cute little 12v. Handy little thing. http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=PS41-2A#specs

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
start naming names! I didnt think they were that light either ie. 3 lbs or under.. Meanwhile Ill go check out Makitas latest battery powered offerings...

Check out the Milwaukee cordless offerings now, they are still the only brand that offers brushless motors I believe, and they are about the most powerful as far as torque is concerned as well. Milwaukee has been around a LONG time, and they make fantastic tools.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, so far got this Makita, comes closest to electrons description; I use only impact drivers, dewalt has a much more expensive one, but is only a driver, and not as powerful!

Till I check out the Milwaukee, Im gettin this one

Makita LXDT04CW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Driver Kit
Product Features
Makita-built 4-pole motor delivers 1,420 inlbs of Max Torque
Compact design at only 5-7/16-Inch long and weighs only 2.8 lbs for reduced operator fatigue
Variable speed design (0-2,300 RPM & 0-3,200 IPM) covers a wide range of fastening applications
Convenient 1/4-Inch hex one-touch chuck for quick bit changes.
Built-in L.E.D. light with afterglow illuminates the work area
$170 at amazon , free ship.

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try one with an impact rated spade bit sometime, it'll surprise you. Just don't try a self feeding spade, they don't work as well as the old style ones with impact drivers. I've used cheap junk hex shaft spades with mine and it's really fast, and on the rare occasion you make the bit bind the impact will engage and prevent kickback and get the bit spinning again.