Streamlight Stinger upgrades?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently acquired a pair of Streamlight Stingers. I like the build quality and the compact size, and there's certainly nothing wrong with the beam. But alas, I'm a flashaholic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif SO...

Can you fine folks tell me what options I might have in terms of upgrades for the SL Stinger? New battery packs, new bulbs, mods, etc.? I've never really paid attention to these lights, and don't know what's possible. Please educate me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I would like to know about this too. I have carried the Stingers at work for 10 years. The beam on mine is pretty yellow, and the run time sucks (about an hour). Is there an upgraded bulb or something I can use?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, these are good questions!

While we are at it, any Stinger HP or Ultra Stinger upgrades?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
milkyspit, if your Stingers are fairly new then they have the nice textured reflector. You can add the HP head and larger bulb conversion offered by Streamlight, for better throw and more lumens. Do a CPF search for Stinger mods, as some members have installed higher voltage battery packs, and run the Ultra Stinger bulb, or other similar bi-pin bulbs, for really high light output.

AR15Fan, change out your bulb on your Stinger, with a new bulb. After a while the bulb looses it's punch and gets more yellow. One hour run time on battery is about right. Keep Stinger in charger cradle when not in use. Also, batteries can lose power when they are one year + old. Consider HP head conversion, or mods done by other CPF members. If you want to keep compact size, then purchase a new head with nice textured reflector for better light quality.

Bill

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
Where can I buy Misc Streamlight stinger parts? Battery pack, bulb, textured relector?

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I added the tailcap switch from a stingerXT as well as the protective barrel boot/cover for grip/protection. You have to mod the inside battery contacts to make it work however.

The only thing I dislike about my stinger is the polycarbonate lens. Yeah it's un shatterable (rather than unbreakable like claimed) but it scratches easy and tends to turn yellow affecting the beam.

I replaced mine with B270 using a 52mm for Mag cut down to size. If I remember correctly the stinger's lens is 34mm and the 32mm B270 for brinkmans are a bit small. UCL is too thick to be used in my opinion and B270 absorbs more shock. Adding the reflector from a newer stinger makes a bit difference as well. It's orange peel as opposed to smooth like older models.

It's still a bit tricky in getting glass in there though. The reflector is pressed in the lens cap which holds the lens in place. When pressing the reflector back in, you have to be careful not to crush the glass to avoid cracking. I made my own tool for extracting the reflector. Streamlight makes the tool as well but is quite costly ($60):
ST750160.jpg

http://www.TacticalFlashlights.com sell the tool cheapest but I've found http://www.tannersstorefront.com to sell OE replacement parts the cheapest: bulbs, lenses, reflectors, lens/reflector assy., etc. Everything that you could put your own stinger together.

mohr

Newly Enlightened
hi,
the best way to upgrade the stinger is to use a custom 6v batterystick. you can use the WA 01160 or WA 01111 bulbs in the stinger hp head, or in a stinger head that is upgraded with a b270 lens and modified reflector (make the bulbhole a little bigger). i use the stinger hp with a WA 01160 bulb, the runtime is about 30 min and its my flashlight with the best throw. its brighter than my surefire 12 pm (500 lumen). the only problem is the lens. there is no easy way to replace the stinger hp lens . the lens is good for runs about 5 - 10 min. the WA 01160 in a standard stinger head is just for short tactical use because it gets too hot. but its freaking bright. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
if you want i can take some beamshoots from the stinger, stinger hp and the 6v mods.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Mohr, is the Stinger HP with WA 01160 brighter than the Ultra bulb in your HP? Sounds like you are getting SL35 brightness and lumens.

Bill

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mohr, where are those custom 6V batterysticks available? Also, do they work with the stock charger? And does the opening in the reflector need to be enlarged to fit the WA01160 bulb?

S

Sonk

Mohr, can you do a full post on your mods?
Darkzero, can you explain what exactly needs to be done to run the XT tailcap on a regular stinger?

thanks guys

mohr

Newly Enlightened
the 6v batterystick is homemade. check the forum for stinger hp 6v mod. it is made of 5x 1.2v NiCd cells (Sanyo RC 2/3 SC flight ( CP1300SCR ). i charge it with my Maha C777Plus II charger but the stinger charger will work too.
the batterystick is about 4-5mm longer than the 3.7v stinger batterystick and fits the stinger and stinger hp. the stinger xt series with the tailcapswitch does have some problems with that mod because of the switch. the battery is a little too long. but i dont have a xt so search the forum if that mod will work.
the WA 01160 bulb does not fit the stinger hp or stinger without a small mod. you must press the bulb pins a little and shortem them to fit the stinger bi pin holes. but thats very easy. if you dont want to use the ultrastinger bulb (it fits perfectly) try a magcharger bulbs. they will work too. the hp head must not be mod to fit the WA 01160 or 01111 or magcharger or ultrastinger bulb. the stinger head has to be drilled a bit to fit the bigger WA bulbs.
i have made some nice beamshot to show the power of that mod

[image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/p22207577d5fbdb1dbaef22046676047a/faa76252.jpg[/image]

left hp mod, right surefire 12pm (500 lm)

[image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/peae9cd739c00b8f3451f63796ad6dd52/faa76250.jpg[/image]

stinger hp 6v mod with WA 01160 bulb
[image]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pd0505dca401cb75439f4ffcda6962534/faa7624f.jpg[/image]

surefire 12 pm with 500 lumen la

mohr

Newly Enlightened
mmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif that doesnt work. how can i post pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
mohr, I'll handle those pics for ya... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

left hp mod, right surefire 12pm (500 lm)
faa76252.jpg

stinger hp 6v mod with WA 01160 bulb
faa76250.jpg

surefire 12 pm with 500 lumen la
faa7624f.jpg

mohr

Newly Enlightened
nice beamshots. looks like a nice german garden. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
i will send you pm when i need more of my pics posted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
the camera was set on automatic without flash. the distance to the grapewine is about 7m. the hotspot is so white you cant see details in the hotspot of the Hp mod. its a cheap way to get a rechargeable small light thats even better than a 500 lumen surefire. the bulb is about 3$ the batterystick is 17$. thats 20$ for the mod and 64$ for a stinger hp (without charger). i dont think that there is another rechargeable flashlight in this size with such a power for less money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
Nice beamshots mohr!

If you can get your hands on it, you should try the WA01183 in the Stinger HP. I think it might even be brighter and throw farther than the 1160.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Dukester...

I don't quite get it?

75503 6V Stinger?

I asked about a 6V stick at the Houston Batteries Plus. She said they don't have it yet, due to the lack of the collar that makes the negative connection at the top of the stick. She said it's being worked on.

She seemed to understand what I wanted, and it was made known to me that I could sacrifice my 3.6V stick for the needed parts.

But the website indicates it exists??? How do you get one???

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Dukester...

I don't quite get it?

75503 6V Stinger?

I asked about a 6V stick at the Houston Batteries Plus. She said they don't have it yet, due to the lack of the collar that makes the negative connection at the top of the stick. She said it's being worked on.

She seemed to understand what I wanted, and it was made known to me that I could sacrifice my 3.6V stick for the needed parts.

But the website indicates it exists??? How do you get one???

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to give them a call. They seem like they would be a good source since they deal heavily with StreamLight Flashlights. The nearest Brick & Mortar Store for me is Tacoma and that is a drive for me. I am hoping that will ship ups since I live probably 120 miles away. I have a spare UltraStinger Bulb siting around calling out to me right now as I type this out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope when I call I won't be disappointed...

Dukester

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Sonk said:
Darkzero, can you explain what exactly needs to be done to run the XT tailcap on a regular stinger?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your familiar with the stinger battery you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. If not, I'll try to explain clearly. The battery pack is your typical pack, positive on one end and negative on the other. The difference is on the positive side; the middle tab/button is positive and the outer ring around it is negative as well as the other end of the pack. I beleive Stingers and Stinger XTs both use the same battery pack.

Stingers don't use the tailcap as the negative conductor. Both connections (+ & -) are made deep inside the barrel. If you remove the tailcap, which is actually called the vent cap for Stingers, and hold the battery up in place it will still function. The XT uses the tailcap switch as negative and only the positive connection is deep in the barrel.

To mod the Stinger for a XT Tailcap switch you have to prevent the outer spring deep in the barrel from coming in contact with the negative ring on the top of the battery. You then have to make this spring come in contact with the barrel (common ground). I cut the spring and soldered a wire from the spring to the barrel. The outer spring connection must not contact the negative on the top of battery in any way for this to work correctly so double check to be sure. The original switch will still be functional, but it must be in the "on" position for the XT tailswitch to work.

Just some notes: The XT tailcap switch Assy. (SL P/N 750158 $10) outer diameter is a bit larger than the standard Stinger's barrel. The reason being the XT uses a rubber line textured boot (P/N 750277 $1) for grip that makes up for the diameter difference. I recommend the boot anyways but a must when using the XT switch. Only thing is the boot isn't the full length of the barrel and won't cover the Stinger fully. Also in order to mod the inside spring for the XT switch you must pull out the original Stinger's switch to get to them. If you ever had to replace the Stinger's switch assy. you'll know what to do. They say there's a special tool as well for this but needle nose pliers will do the job. But that's another story. If you need help in pulling the switch assy. out just say the word.

txs.