• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: milkyspit L1 Lumamax eXtreme

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
After much deliberation, I have decided that I need to sell my milky L1 eXtreme. My family is moving soon, so I need to raise whatever money to ease the financial burden.

The emitter has been swapped out for XP-E R2-WC, as well as the TIR to accomodate the new emitter. The resistor in the tailcap has also been switched out for different low outputs. Copper heatsink replaced the stock aluminum one.

What's really interesting about this ML1X is the fact that it has two banks, accessible by pressing the tailswitch fifteen times rapidly. After the fifteenth press, hold the switch down at the sixteenth and the light will toggle to the different output settings.

The first set of modes will output 70~80 (using 3V primary) or ~263 (using 3.7V rechargeable) lumens on high and 10 lumens on low. The second set of modes will output ~26 lumens on high and ~1 on low. Apart from the first high mode, all other modes retain the same output regardless of the cell voltage.

There's no sticker. I peeled it off and tucked it away for safekeeping, but can't find the thing anymore. Meh...

Cosmetically, there are some signs of use and wear. A few scuff marks are present on the anodizing. Some of the anodizing on the knurling has been ground away. The edges of the crenelation at the head shows wear, as well as around the edges at the tailcap. There are some light scratches on the clip, as well.

Functionally, the light works perfectly.

Here is what it looks like now;
IMAG0442_resize.jpg

Here is a review that I wrote when I got it last year;

So, seeing how CPF has expert members who can modify lights, I decided to see if it would be possible to have a L1 modified to a similar specification as what the LX1 was supposed to be offering, and I did. Member milkyspit did exactly that.

I traded some messages with him and, sure enough, he agreed to do it. I sent him the requested specifications and, after a few trials and errors on my part, nailed down on the modifications. Two days after the payment had been cleared, the Milky L1 Extreme was at my doorstep.

Behold...
DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

It may look like a stock L1, but so many has changed internally.

The emitter has been swapped out for XP-E R2WD. It has a really nice tint to it, to the point I'm actually surprised that the tint bin for it wasn't rated as neutral.

I was told that it should put out 70-80 lumens with a 3V primary. With a 3.7V RCR, however, it would nearly triple the output and crank out ~263 lumens at the emitter, (~211 lumens OTF) allowing it to compete with its larger LX2 cousin. But the best part about using a primary is that it would give the light a 7-12 hours of runtime on high, which is great since 70-80 lumens is what I need most of the time, and that ridiculous runtime means that I don't have to carry many spares.

The emitter is now sitting on a copper heatsink, as oppposed to aluminum. This would let me use it for extended periods of time without having to worry about overheating at all.

I also specifically request that the light have two different modes, with two different outputs in each. The primary mode has the standard high and low, 263 lumens (70-80 lumens with primary CR123A) and 10 lumens, respectively. The secondary mode is set to 10% of the output of primary mode, at 26 lumens and 1 lumen.

Switching to different mode is done by rapidly clicking the switch fifteen times. At any time during the fifteen clicks, if I pause for a second or more, the process will reset. This was done since I rely on momentary activation quite often, and I didn't want it to accidentally switch modes on me.

(Sorry. No picture of high mode using a RCR yet.)

Mode 1 - High (70-80 lumens)
DSC_0191.jpg

Mode 1 - Low (10 lumens)
DSC_0190.jpg

Mode 2 - Medium (26 lumens)
DSC_0189.jpg

Mode 2 - Moonlight (<1 lumen)
DSC_0188.jpg

Even with reduced high output from using a primary cell, this sucker can throw quite far. It can light up a reflective street sign that's 150 meters away from my house, even through a significant amount of light pollution. I can't wait 'til I get the rechargeables and find out how much it will throw in all its glory. If I were to hazard a guess, it would probably run neck-to-neck with a LX2.

• The current asking price is USD$250.
  • Will ship within United States only using USPS Priority with insurance.
  • Willing to negotiate the price.
  • PayPal only.
  • Might take a couple of days to ship it out once the payment is made due to work schedule.

Last edited: