Peak First Responder to Nichia 219

Norm

Retired Administrator
Not completely documented as this was a very easy mod.

sidejpx.jpg

front2vo.jpg
front1ny.jpg

The bezel is easily unscrewed, the three allen screws removed and the head splits in two, the driver in one section and the LEds in the other.

The original P4 LEDs sit on three posts, they had been glued with some thermal adhesive but lifted off easily with the help of a dental pick.

The LEDs are on 16mm boards.

Cleaned up the posts to remove all of the old adhesive.

Wired the new LEDs in series before installation, it's much easier to solder the LEDs without the heat sink soaking up all the heat.

Installed the new LEDs using Arctic Alumina, reassembled the head and soldered the wires from the driver (there is ample slack).

I soldered the two power wires with the head after it was assembled, because there isn't quite enough slack to solder them outside the head.

The reflectors originally fitted the P4 LEDs, there is no longer anything to centre the reflectors, they are only held in place by the lens, you may notice I had some difficulty centreing the LEDs.

Peak originally rated the light at 400 lumens, I haven't done any current measurements so I'm not sure of the output. All I can say is the light is extremely bright and floody.

This is a very versatile light, this battery tube allows me to run 2 X 18500 (my present configuration) 3 X CR123, or with the 18650 tube 1 X 18650 or 2 X CR123 or 2 X AA.
Norm

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
That is a FR400, correct?
I believe so, it's the very first of the First Responders from what I remember.

Just measured the tail cap draw about 1400mA from 2 X 18500 on high down to 130mA on low.

Norm

Last edited: