Jetbeam RRT-01 doesnt work with 18350 ?

koti

Enlightened
I just got my RRT-01...I droped in a new, freshly charged Trusfire 18350 (3,7V / 1200 mAh) and - nothing, the light doesnt work.
I droped in a Trustfire 16340 (3,6V / 880 mAh) and the light works perfectly fine.
I bought this light mainly because it is stated in numerous places on forums that it works with the higher capacity 18350's.
Any ideas ?

koti

Enlightened
Yep. The moron didnt screw head to the tube tight enough using the slitely longer 18350. It works fine now on both 16340 & 18350.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two RRT-01's and both are on Trustfire 18350, surely not the best cells in the world but still the lights work ...

Newly Enlightened
using good quality batteries is necessary,in my opinion.lol
for if something is wrong with the lights due to the batteries, we have to spend quite a lot of time or money on repairing the lights.
I think every company should recommend some brands.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the UFs are a fine battery for this light. In general I don't prefer them but you've got about 900mAh usable capacity and a protected circuit. The AW IMR18350s will hold their voltage better and for longer in the discharge. Always use a good charger too.

Nice thing about the RRT01 versus the TCR1 is that you can do a tailcap lockout by unscrewing just a bit. Good if the light will spend a lot time in a workbag or closet and not always be used to prevent the constant drain on the battery.

Great lights - enjoy.

koti

Enlightened
Weird...my RRT-01 works with the ultrifires 18350's but only when it feels like it. It works perfectly fine with 16340's, there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the light apart from the fact that when I drop in an 18350 it only decides to work sometimes. I got 2 pieces of new UF 18350s, I tried screwing the bezel tightly, semi tightly, extremely tightly and every possible level of "tightly" Im using the Sysmax Intelligarger i4 v2.
I checked the 18350s with a voltage meter, they both charge up to 4,23v, they work fine with other lights and decices I have. I have to conclude that the version of RRT-01 I have doesnt like them :/

Last edited:

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have protected Ultrafire 18350 they might be too long where you are shorting out something on the flashlight or the battery. Buy some AW 18350 batteries. I am using unprotected Ultrafire 18350 batteries, and they work perfectly.
Weird...my RRT-01 works with the ultrifires 18350's but only when it feels like it. It works perfectly fine with 16340's, there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the light apart from the fact that when I drop in an 18350 it only decides to work sometimes. I got 2 pieces of new UF 18350s, I tried screwing the bezel tightly, semi tightly, extremely tightly and every possible level of "tightly" Im using the Sysmax Intelligarger i4 v2.
I checked the 18350s with a voltage meter, they both charge up to 4,23v, they work fine with other lights and decices I have. I have to conclude that the version of RRT-01 I have doesnt like them :/

koti

Enlightened
I followed Your sugeestion FlashKat and ordered a couple of unprotected Uktrafire 18350's, we'l see...

koti

Enlightened
I got the Ultrafire 18350's unprotected in the mail today...the light works perfectly fine with these cells. They are exactly the same hight as the protected 16340's I have so they fit perfectly. It seems that the slitely longer protected 18350's were the problem. Question: Does the RRT-01 have a protective circuit or do I have to becareful with not draining the unprotected 18350's ?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-01 will start to flicker when the battery is low. You will also notice the light getting dimmer. I have been using unprotected cells for several years with no problems. I am glad your light is working correctly.

koti

Enlightened
The RRT-01 will start to flicker when the battery is low. You will also notice the light getting dimmer. I have been using unprotected cells for several years with no problems. I am glad your light is working correctly.

Thanks FlashKat !

Lighteous

Enlightened
I initially bought a two-pack of Trustfire 18350 cells for my RRT01. One worked and the other didn't. I replaced the Trustfires with AW IMR 18350's and also with Ultrafire 18350's. All of the replacement cells work perfectly.

koti

Enlightened
I initially bought a two-pack of Trustfire 18350 cells for my RRT01. One worked and the other didn't. I replaced the Trustfires with AW IMR 18350's and also with Ultrafire 18350's. All of the replacement cells work perfectly.

Im pretty sure that the issue is only with protected 18350's, they are slitely longer and its difficult to screw the light together all the way. The Ultrafire unprotected 18350's that I have ordered are pretty much exactly the same lenght as all the protected 16340's I have. The RRT-01 seems to like to be screwed in all the way :p

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im pretty sure that the issue is only with protected 18350's, they are slitely longer and its difficult to screw the light together all the way. The Ultrafire unprotected 18350's that I have ordered are pretty much exactly the same lenght as all the protected 16340's I have. The RRT-01 seems to like to be screwed in all the way :p

First of all the RRT-01 needs to be completely serrated because the threads are anodized and the negative contact to the circuit in the head is made through the edge of the body which as you can see is not anodized. If you try to use a cell which is slightly too long and you screw in completely the body you probably crush the protection circuit of the cell and consequently the cell is no longer working.

koti

Enlightened
First of all the RRT-01 needs to be completely serrated because the threads are anodized and the negative contact to the circuit in the head is made through the edge of the body which as you can see is not anodized. If you try to use a cell which is slightly too long and you screw in completely the body you probably crush the protection circuit of the cell and consequently the cell is no longer working.

Yep. I crushed one of the protected Trustfire 18350's.

koti

Enlightened
Hey, just a small tip for the RRT-01 I tested a couple of days ago...I got the light realy wet in the rain the other day and the magnetic rotating switch got a just a bit more rough to turn. I sprayed a lot od WD40 into the grooves around the magnetic ring, moved it around and sprayed a lot again and moved it around. Its 3 days later and the ring turns so smoothly, lots better that out of the box.