People's torch

Edi

Newly Enlightened
Let's start a thread where we can talk about what we want in a torch...? Say people suggest ideas for the month.... This months torch is an edc... People vote of preferred power source, u.i., look etc..etc..anything and everything that goes into the torch. Maybe if it works the manufacturers torches we all desire come out how we want them as the manufacturer already knows what we want? Lol maybe I've been into torches too long but it seems nothing interesting is coming out? Also a thread about new upcoming torches.... If anyone could be bothered hassling the manufacturers

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's been a few threads like this over time, and they usually end up boiling down to an argument over minor specifications like CCT...

Or someone announces their dream light has infinite variability from 0.001 to 10000 lumens, 100 hours runtime on high from a CR123 sized battery and 100CRI emitters at their tint of choice.

Sorry to shoot your thread down :( but I think you'll find that everyone has a different idea about what's perfect.

But of anyone does come up with a light of those specs :devil:

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm usually pretty down on Chinese made lights, but I must admit I do love my Zebralights. Specifically my SC80c. I love this light. The only thing I can see replacing it right now is the hopefully soon to be released Zebralight T5.

That's my ideal edc for casual use.

For utility use I think the E1L is tops. But when the EB1 two stage comes out I'll be first in line.

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
There's been a few threads like this over time, and they usually end up boiling down to an argument over minor specifications like CCT...

Or someone announces their dream light has infinite variability from 0.001 to 10000 lumens, 100 hours runtime on high from a CR123 sized battery and 100CRI emitters at their tint of choice.

Sorry to shoot your thread down :( but I think you'll find that everyone has a different idea about what's perfect.

But of anyone does come up with a light of those specs :devil:

Sounds like my perfect light. Just make it out of titanium.:D

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

Ima Freeman

Newly Enlightened
That's an easy one for me Edi...... I'd like a light that's small, sexy and bright enough to take the hair off a wooden leg at 100 paces ! :D

StarHalo

Flashaholic
THE PEOPLE'S TORCH

(anthemic male chorus)

THE TORCH HAS BEEN STANDARDIZED FOR THE PEOPLE. YOU WILL CONFORM TO THE TORCH.

(marching)

Swede74

Enlightened
It might have been better to post this in one of the Zebralight threads, but it would probably have been a little of topic in most of them, and my skills as an artist certainly don't justify starting a new thread.

What I would like to see is a Zebralight SC32 with AA / 14500 support. Or maybe I should call it a SC81.
The SC80 already supports RCR123, AA and 14500, but it can't be configured in a way that offers the compact size of a RCR123-only light.

I'm thinking that the SC32, with an optional longer battery cap that has a sleeve inside it to accommodate AA-size cells, would be an interesting alternative.

There is a drawback compared to SC80 in that you don't get the support for different battery sizes in one single, neat package, but on the other hand, you get a very small light that is suitable for EDC, with the option of switching to the larger tail cap when you plan on going somewhere where you want to be able to rely on readily available alkalines.

zlsc81.jpg

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, before I proceed with my post, I apologize for not contributing to this topic in a constructive manner, but...

Seriously, when I first read the title of this thread, this popped up in my mind;
torchofthepeople.png

Don't ask me why it did. It just... did.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's start a thread where we can talk about what we want in a torch...? Say people suggest ideas for the month.... This months torch is an edc... People vote of preferred power source, u.i., look etc..etc..anything and everything that goes into the torch. Maybe if it works the manufacturers torches we all desire come out how we want them as the manufacturer already knows what we want? Lol maybe I've been into torches too long but it seems nothing interesting is coming out? Also a thread about new upcoming torches.... If anyone could be bothered hassling the manufacturers

Definitely won't be the PEOPLE'S torch, but here's my vote anyway since you asked for suggestions:

• 1 x AA
  • single mediumish mode
  • 3/4" x 3 1/2"*
  • tailstanding cylindrical tube.
  • head twist

Basically an AA version of the E05 or led Solitaire or SF titan, would be close enough. Todays lights have gotten too complicated, too short & fat, & too nontailstandy for my tastes. Unfortunately that's exactly what the PEOPLE want, which is why mine will never happen. Romisen, fenix, & others get real close with a couple though.

*negotiable- just not too short or too fat.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
enomosiki- actually that ​WAS pretty necessary, thank you.

I want a single AA version of the Fenix EO5 at 50otf lumens.

Wish we could figure out how many here- if it's really just the three of us, or if there are more who'd buy one JUST as you describe, keeping it an E05, without adding moonlight, memory, strobes etc. Imagine how long 50 lumens would run on an energizer ultimate lithium in AA.

tam17

Enlightened
Wish we could figure out how many here- if it's really just the three of us, or if there are more who'd buy one JUST as you describe, keeping it an E05, without adding moonlight, memory, strobes etc. Imagine how long 50 lumens would run on an energizer ultimate lithium in AA.

+1 as always.

E05-ish body style and beam profile; 35lm is just enough for me (a little tradeoff for an extended runtime, 35lm vs. 50lm doesn't make a noticeable difference anyway).

Cheers

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, yeah I'm totally flexible on output if someone made it happen (why I just said mediumish) Even beam profile, optics, tint, whatever.

it's me, you, jash, and at least one other guy on this forum I can think of who wants one. I'll assemble this powerful petition & get it over to fenix.

edi said:
... If anyone could be bothered hassling the manufacturers

Oh i can be bothered.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Got all my single AA wants covered with the Quark MiniAA, particularly since I use low more than medium. If you haven't tried EDCing one, I highly recommend it, it meets all your criteria except for having three beautifully spaced modes.

If we're going the single-cell single-mode route, I'd prefer a warm 1xD for power-outage ceiling-bounce/diffused use..

tam17

Enlightened
I'll assemble this powerful petition & get it over to fenix.

LOL, that's better than spamming their feedback form inbox (what I usually do) :D

StarHalo said:
I'd prefer a warm 1xD for power-outage ceiling-bounce/diffused use..

I doubt we'll see that in the near future, though it's a nice DIY idea for dull winter days :thumbsup:

Cheers

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

You realize that what you describe already exists don't you? Peak El Capitain

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a while back, & their order process was kind of an IQ test, for me. Those websites. Even after some back & forth with rmsk & archimedes' help, turns out I'm too dumb to figure out what I'm ordering from the descriptions of combinations I was looking for- body configuration, beam angle, output #, converting candlepower to lumens (which i understand are not unit equivalent). This was also during the transition to their exclusive use of QTC, which is not for me. Thanks for the reminder though, you're right that peak definitely comes closest to making my light. Hopefully they'll eventually get on board with the rest of the industry's ordering logistics, output/runtime spec publishing norms etc. (Candlepower?! COME ON!)

StarHalo said:
If you haven't tried EDCing one (4sevens' quark), I highly recommend it, it meets all your criteria except for having three beautifully spaced modes.

That IS a nice one. I'd love to be carrying QUARK quality in my pocket 24/7, if it weren't for their cycle-through modes. If it MUST be a multimode, it's either progressive twist, or tighten-head for one level/loosen head for another, like the e3s. Wish JEt-beam would make an Al version of the e3s.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, before I proceed with my post, I apologize for not contributing to this topic in a constructive manner, but...

Seriously, when I first read the title of this thread, this popped up in my mind;
torchofthepeople.png

Don't ask me why it did. It just... did.

Good one, I was thinking of Judge Judy - I know, different show, but a TK70 would make an impressive hammer, not to mention when the judge point the torch at some idiot.

No, yeah I'm totally flexible on output if someone made it happen (why I just said mediumish) Even beam profile, optics, tint, whatever.

it's me, you, jash, and at least one other guy on this forum I can think of who wants one. I'll assemble this powerful petition & get it over to fenix.

[...]

You called? Yes, I'd want one if the runtime exceeds 3 hours at approx. 50 lumens or so.

Here's my vision of the people's torch: can accept one of any battery commonly used in flashlights (CR2, CR123, 18650, 14500, RCR123, AA, AAA, C, D, 9V) without needing to program anything. It wouldn't be very nice to look at, short, fat and stubby with a somewhat squarish side-view, but would be excellent at tail AND side standing, with 4 modes from moonlight to ~200 lumens and a lantern + diffuser adaptor. Now, why in the world I'd want that for? Camping, power failures and the apocalypse. It deserves the name "The People's Torch" because no matter where you are in the world, chances are you could find a battery in the trash that can run it. It would also have quite a bit of space for spares when using a small battery.

Tiresius

Enlightened
No such thing as "the people's torch." Manufacturers can design lights but can never make one that'll meet the needs of "everyone."

I found this out when making custom lights for family members and some are more thrilled about throw and some are just into the small things. They all have different needs and finding out that my family members are different, the world is even bigger with a broader range of taste.

I've come down to CCT in a small package with a minimum of 3 modes--utilizing an 18650 cell that isn't button-top.

Latest posts