Quark 123/2 Tactical Issue !

V8Mondo

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I am having an issue with my Quark 123/2 Tactical. In fact the light has hardly been used since purchase late 2010.

It has been used on occasion but by no means overused. I am currently working some night shifts on the Railways carrying out structural surveys within possessions of the track. So the light has been used for 4 or 5 consecutive nights for around 4/5 hours each time.

Last night after recharging the AW C123R cells I began work on the track. During use the light made a sound akin to a incandescent light bulb element failing. The light would not work. I tried clicking the switch several times and the light did come back on. Then I tried to cycle it off/on again and it hasn't worked since. Luckily, I had a Mini AA2 backup torch

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can test the light in various ways to know if the head or the tail is at fault?

I have sent an email to customer services at 4sevens also... And before anyone quips...No it is not 'Possessed' :faint: LOL

Thanks, V8

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, to start with the obvious- have you tried different batteries (are the AWs also from 2010, and infrequently used?), have to cleaned the threads and contact points?

Worst come to worst, you can always send it back and 4/7s will make it right - 10 yr warranty.

V8Mondo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the quick reply Reppans.

Yes you could be right, the cells are almost as old as the Quark.

I wasn't interested after the shift last night to clean it up and try to sort it out. So I have cleaned the threads and contacts and using the original cells the light did come on briefly. I think the tail switch is not the problem as it obviously works.

It did not stay on long enough to try the programming of the head. I have it set to moonlight and full. It was on moonlight when it came on. It worked on full for about 3 seconds and then turned itself off... CELLS !?!

So I shall get some new CR123 cells to eliminate them from being the issue and hopefully, it will remedy the issue... I do love my Quark !

In the mean time I shall swap out the body and try my 18650 cells to test the head. (only reason I have not done this before, is that I am moving home and the Turney charger, cells kit bag that I keep everything in, has already been stored at the new house... so gotta make a trip over there to get it)

Thanks again. V8

Last edited:

BarryG

Enlightened
Take the tail off and use a paper clip or wire and go from the negative post of the battery to the body to by-pass the switch and see if you light up,. If so, you have a bad switch. Or take a tester set to Ohms and check switch. Use tester to check battery voltage.

47's has great customer service and they will take care of you.

Barry

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I've read more than once that it's a bad idea to use RCR123s serialized, because of the risk of reverse charging. Are you able to take voltage readings from your batteries?
(I do not know whether the protection on these batteries negates said risk.)

Last edited: