Has anyone modded a Xeno E03 (XM-L) to a mule setup? (no reflector?)

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
so I have a Xeno E03 and I've always been wanting to mod it. I think it might be cool to start off with a mule'd E03 perhaps. Anyone have thoughts on this (have you done it or have beam shots?)?

Additionally, I was thinking about buying some for emitter swaps to, say, a High CRI XM-L.

BudK

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a fun project . A bit of 3/4 in.dia. Al would fit that tube nicely with minimal machining methinks . One could even flip the reflector 180 deg. & grind off a bit for a quick & dirty with some sort of washer to recess the led.

I just whacked in a 219 Nichia & diffusion filmed the window for a similar effect .

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've swapped emitters on my daughters E03 to XP-G2. From looking at it, it seems a mule setup is doable to me.

Are you looking to.........
Keep it the same length(adding mass for heatsink) or cut down the head and re-thread it for the bezel ring?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a fun project . A bit of 3/4 in.dia. Al would fit that tube nicely with minimal machining methinks . One could even flip the reflector 180 deg. & grind off a bit for a quick & dirty with some sort of washer to recess the led.

I just whacked in a 219 Nichia & diffusion filmed the window for a similar effect .
that sounds like a good plan insofar as the 219 and diffuser film :D

I'm not clear what you're talking about with the reflector flip, however. do you mind clarifying for me? :)

i could've sworn, by the way, some people here on CPF have put in 219s to the XM-L models, but when I googled I couldn't find anything relevant. :(

thoughts on that?
I've swapped emitters on my daughters E03 to XP-G2. From looking at it, it seems a mule setup is doable to me.

Are you looking to.........
Keep it the same length(adding mass for heatsink) or cut down the head and re-thread it for the bezel ring?

nice! I am correct that a mule setup is just pure flood, right? why is it called mule, btw?

and so far as length, I think its length out of the packaging is perfect, so I'd keep that length in all honesty! :)

think2x do you have thought on the above first question I put in response to budk on whether a 219 will work on an XM-L E03 model? I think it'd probably be not worthwhile to track down an old(er) XP-G E03, ya know, for a 219 swap.

I'd love to see how a mule XM-L E03 looks so far as beamshots and also buy another one to put in a 219, too

and as far as the high CRI XM-L, is anyone in the states selling those individually?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am correct that a mule setup is just pure flood, right? why is it called mule, btw?
Yes you are correct. "MULE" is what the McGizmo reflectorless light is called but I don't know why.

and so far as length, I think its length out of the packaging is perfect, so I'd keep that length in all honesty! :)

think2x do you have thought on the above first question I put in response to budk on whether a 219 will work on an XM-L E03 model? I think it'd probably be not worthwhile to track down an old(er) XP-G E03, ya know, for a 219 swap.

I'd love to see how a mule XM-L E03 looks so far as beamshots and also buy another one to put in a 219, too

and as far as the high CRI XM-L, is anyone in the states selling those individually?

I'm pretty sure the XM-L and XP-G versions share the same driver so a 219 in an XM-L should be fine. The XM-L put out more on a 14500 because it's then direct drive on high. I put an XP-G2 in my daughters E03 and she likes the additional output. Budk is talking about using the reflector as a heatsink. If you flip the reflector 180 degrees and flatten it off on the (new) top you would have the emitter sitting at the lens. The washer he spoke of would then be used to keep the emitter from pressing against the lens similar the the copper "bucket" I made on my V10R Ti MULE.

It wouldn't be too hard to make the Xeno a Mule. You would need some aluminum or copper stock the rough diameter of the ID of the head and I could make the "bucket" out of a copper pipe cap pretty easily.

Let me know if I can help,

Jamie

Latest posts