Arc AA LS mod---not bad after all

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Although the initial impression on the Luxeon "modability" of Arc AA wasn't very good, the final result wasn't bad at all.

Even with similiar parts to those used in the Arc AAA mod, the battery draw of this AA mod can be made significantly higher---more than 700 mA---not too far from the 900 mA obtained in the Infinity mod. It seems like the lower internal resistance of AA batteries did make a difference in the maximum sustainable load. This is the upper limit I want to go considering the limited heat-sinking condition in the bezel---With 700 mA battery draw, there is already
over 200 mA through the LS emitter, twice the current recommended by Lumiled when heat-sinking is limited.

The reflector in Arc AA can make a very decent hot spot without any additional optics. I believe it should be very similar to the McFlood beam. Here are some bean shots against Arc AA:

LS-AA3.jpg

LS-AA1.jpg

LS-AA2.jpg

The photos were taken with progressively more under-exposure.

If a chopped-down NX-05 is used, you will get the usual square beam and some lines running across the hotspot (didn't show up in the photos).

LS-AA4.jpg

To give an idea of the total light output, I held a FULL NX-05 in front of the light to gather all the light.

NX05a.jpg

Here are some beam shot comparison between Arc AA, MicroIlluminator, and Arc AA LS mod with full NX-05

AA-MI-LS1.jpg

AA-MI-LS2.jpg

AA-MI-LS3.jpg

Maybe somebody could lache me a Turbo Head for the Arc AA tube to fully unleash the potentials of this light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With the lessons learned in the Infinity mod, I figured out a better solution for epoxying the lens on the bezel---I used a circle cut out from a borosilicate glass microscope slide as the cover lens to achieve a better-looking bezel and provide some scratch resistance to the mod.

head.jpg

head2.jpg

Overall, I am happy with this mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheFire

Enlightened
What's the threadpitch on the AA head? I'd be willing to give your turbohead a shot if you provided detailed diagrams (solid works or autocad would be nice...) of what you wanted... The only thing would be that it wouldn't be type III HA...

Paul

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i believe the threadpitch *should* be 32tpi, probably uns. i don't have an arc aa though, so i can't say for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Mods As Small As Possible, did you make the boost circuit yourself or did you use one of Dat2Zip's boards? I'd like to see one of these done with the micro-converter board that he offers... Do you think one could be made to fit properly in the Arc head?

Jon

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
StoneDog said:
did you make the boost circuit yourself or did you use one of Dat2Zip's boards? I'd like to see one of these done with the micro-converter board that he offers... Do you think one could be made to fit properly in the Arc head?

Jon

[/ QUOTE ]

I make my own converters for all my mods. Getting something others can't buy from the market is one big fun in modding a flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

According to belyo's post in this thread , a MC board should be able to fit in the cavity, but I haven't tried. If you order a MC board I can certainly put it in an Arc AA for you (I do have an extra Arc AA on hand right now). The MC board is said to have 150 mA or so going through the LS emitter, so the mod will be dimmer, but with longer run time.

TheFire

Enlightened
Would you mind sharing which chip you used for the step up? (no sweat if you'd rather not) How much current are you pushing through that thing?

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
TheFire said:
Would you mind sharing which chip you used for the step up? (no sweat if you'd rather not) How much current are you pushing through that thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used ZXSC300 IC (Zetex). The battery draw is over 700 mA and there is around 200 mA through the LS.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:

i believe the threadpitch *should* be 32tpi, probably uns. i don't have an arc aa though, so i can't say for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Could somebody measure/confirm the thread pitch for me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'd be happy to measure it if you'd send me one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very boss ! LMASAP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I'm amazed every time I check in and see what you fellahs are doing.

BC