Incoming; Piko X Duo / All-Smartcore

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
So, after much research, consideration, comparison and havering, I pulled the trigger on the Piko X Duo All Smartcore battery system from www.gretnabikes.com. The unit comes with headstrap, two 1.7 Ah Lithium ion batteries and charger. And it costs $475, which is more by far than I have ever paid for all the headlamps I've ever bought combined. So what will I get for 475 scoots? From the gretnabikes website:

"Our Piko SC lamp-head is smaller than a matchbox and yet, it has all of the advanced features of our top-of-the-line models; like our distinctive CNC-milled aluminum body, active heat management, multiple beam level settings with programming options, and it produces an incredible 900 lumens! Actual measured lumens! It all adds up to make Piko the lightweight do it all lamp with endless capabilities."

Its a big kick in the wallet no doubt, but I guess I wanted a headlamp that would be extremely powerful, with the ability to cycle through intensity levels easily. This model is milled aluminum and meets the specs I wanted for overall robustness of construction, shock and water resistance. Its incredibly small and light but can put out a colossal amount of light for hours if needed. As the one reviewer wrote in these forums, this light is like the "noisy cricket" from Men In Black; much punch in a small package. The batteries have electronics that allow you to see the remaining battery capacity in steps of 10% so that the capacity may be checked at any time no matter if the battery is in use, being charged or has been out of use for weeks.

I know there's no "one-does-it-all" light. That said, from night fishing/boat navigation, outdoor hikes, cycling and night time photography activities, I felt this light would provide outstanding power at 900 lumens output, while being subtle and long-lasting enough to provide 60 hours of 40 lumens for the smaller jobs.

In any event, I'll do a review once I receive this unit. I'm looking forward to having a really well-made headlamp that will provide years of use.

Best,

Chris

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, just wow. Congrats on what looks to be an awesome light. Looking forward to the review.

Two emitters, each with 22 degree beam spread, correct?

Last edited:

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I read 22 degree beam spread, and from the review I found here on the CPF, its a huge spot with spill. Should be interesting next time I'm out backcountry. My latest headlamp is an old Petzl that replaced an older Petzl. They do the job, but this looks to be a light sabre by comparison. The company reckons 900 measured lumens as maximum output (2 hours battery life at 900 lumens).