IPF 910H reflectors - where to buy and what do you think of them.

Tonka truck 2.0

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows where to buy 7" round IPF 910H reflectors for a more reasonable price than $70 each...

I am also interested to know what people think of them.
Im wanting to fit some into my Landcruiser because the stock H4 bulbs and reflectors are rubbish and so is the wiring harness. I will be upgrading the bulbs to philips x-treme vision's and will custom make my wiring harness. I have found the bulbs on Ebay for $50 (australian currency).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did use the search functions to but did not find to much, although i possibly didnt use the search function correctly or typed the wrong things in.

Thank you in advance.

Chris

NFT5

Newly Enlightened
ARB sell IPF. Should be able to get them at any ARB store.

While there's probably no doubt that the IPF headlights are brighter than the factory issue, the question is whether they comply fully with the ADRs. Do a Google search on them - consensus seems to be better than factory but not that good. Cibie make a 7" headlight that is arguably the best on the market while Hella also make one that isn't too bad. I'd be looking at these options before the IPF alternative, if only because my experience with IPF lights was that they are very ordinary.

The Cibie inserts are a bit hard to find here - you may need to hunt around a few of the non-chain auto accessory stores. Alternately, there are listings on Ebay from suppliers in England and price seems to be around $200 delivered. Daniel Stern Lighting has them also, I think in RHD, around $US80, so about the same as ex the UK. I believe the Part No. is 082441 (without parking light).

I understand you may be on a budget but I'm pretty sure that the Cibies will be well worth the extra $30/light. No, I'm not pretty sure, I'm absolutely positive!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I don't have direct experience with the left-traffic units you're looking at, but the right-traffic IPF headlamps' performance is quite poor, they're not homologated to ECE regulations or to any other technical standard or regulation for headlamp design, construction, and performance. I do not think highly of IPF's lights in general.

The Cibie unit is quite good, but the best left-traffic 7" round H4 lamp I can think of is made by Koito. You can get it at a Toyota dealership, part number 90981-01037.

Tonka truck 2.0

Newly Enlightened
Glad i asked now. Thanks for the information. Budget isn't my main concern with this either, expensive lights just mean I'll have to put up with rubbish lights for a few extra days until pay day again.

Thank you Scheinwerfermann, I will certainly try and look for those koito lamps. Is there anything specific about them that makes them a good unit?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Good optical precision, good quality materials, well-designed bulb shield, properly type-approved, etc.

Tonka truck 2.0

Newly Enlightened
The Koito lamps come with two different part numbers for the left and right side of the vehicle. The parts guys at toyota where having great fun deciding which lights were right ebven though i told them exactly what i was looking for, i even had to send them a picture of my curremt 7" lamps and my vehicle's VIN number so that they could make sure they were right for my vehicle......parts interpreters just aren't the samethese as they used to be.

Have ordered a pair from my dealership though. damage to the wallet was $190 for a pair of them. Now i just need the bulbs and have to update my wiring harness.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Nooooo...one part number, 90981-01037, fits both left and right. If they ordered you something else, they ordered you at least one wrong lamp.

Supur-Lyte

Newly Enlightened
The Koito lamps come with two different part numbers for the left and right side of the vehicle. The parts guys at toyota where having great fun deciding which lights were right ebven though i told them exactly what i was looking for, i even had to send them a picture of my curremt 7" lamps and my vehicle's VIN number so that they could make sure they were right for my vehicle.

That reminds me of earlier this year when after reading another thread on this forum my curiosity sent me in search of the 90981-01035 right-traffic version of this Koito. Though I can't find it now, there was a nice illustration of the lamp and the associated surrounding pieces showing that it did, indeed, have an H4 bulb despite being described as being a sealed beam lamp.

My first thought when reading about your experience at the dealer was that the parts guys were getting confused when seeing listings for left and right park and signal lamps. So, is it safe to assume they were not able to prove to you that there really are different part numbers for the left and right sides?

Last edited by a moderator:

csphere

Newly Enlightened
Is the Toyota lamp the Koito 6R9?

csphere

Newly Enlightened
So basically in 20 years noone has been able to top this design? I'm having a hard time locating these lamps at a reasonable price. Something like HELLA 002395991 7" H4 is not even comparable? Or perhaps the HELLA 002395301. It's also quite hard to find objective reviews of 7" round lamps :D

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
So basically in 20 years noone has been able to top this design?

Certainly! The JW Speaker LED 7" round headlamp is available in LH or RH traffic configuration, is ECE type-approved, and is quite an excellent performer. But as far as halogen lamps, there is not much incentive for the development of new ones in this size because so few new vehicles use it, and mostly new vehicles drive the development of new headlamps.

I'm having a hard time locating these lamps at a reasonable price.

The depends on how you define "reasonable". It is not a synonym for "low".

Something like HELLA 002395991 7" H4 is not even comparable? Or perhaps the HELLA 002395301.

No. The Hella 7" H4 lamps are not very efficient or effective.

csphere

Newly Enlightened
Oh well. It will still be an upgrade from incandescent Indian Minda(?) rubbish. I hope those JW lights cost 750 USD because of the quality and not because of an accessory that comes with it... http://youtu.be/bXRLYjwkO-o

Alright well, I'll swing by the Toyota dealer then, see what the going rate is for new ones. 42+42 euro for a rusty used one from Sweden is excessive in my book.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Alright well, I'll swing by the Toyota dealer then, see what the going rate is for new ones. 42+42 euro for a rusty used one from Sweden is excessive in my book.

I agree. Used headlights generally are not worth buying.

csphere

Newly Enlightened
Some more information: apparently the 6R11 comes in two shapes, one where the glass retreats for about a centimetre before the metal starts and one where it's more or less flush. Which one is it? :thinking:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Some more information: apparently the 6R11 comes in two shapes, one where the glass retreats for about a centimetre before the metal starts and one where it's more or less flush.

Where does that info come from?

Which one is it?

The first type, with a glass rim of about 1cm.

Last edited:

csphere

Newly Enlightened
Where does that info come from?
Second hand dealer of landcruiser parts. Maybe the other type is present in Landcruisers but not 6R11?
The first type, with a glass rim of about 1cm.
Alright. I called the Toyota dealer today, they want 130 euro (168 USD) for a unit. I think I will inspect a second hand one first, it's priced at 30% of new.