Spark SK3 purchases not water resistant

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Wanted to share my findings, purchased 2 Spark SK3 lights as back-up lights and use as a spare battery holder(main reason for purchase). Tested both without battery, fresh from package, fully tightened in a 8 oz. cup of water for 5 minutes. Both had water entry. Not totally flooded, but not good either. No evidence in the emitter, lens section. Only in the battery compartment. But, short soak time as well. Cleaned and lubed threads and o-ring with Nyogel. Same results.

This isn't scientific, and this isn't a knock on Spark. It is a heads up. I'm keeping the lights, I really like the look of the lights. After a rice treatment and dehumidifier dry out, the lights are working fine. Just to let everyone know that you may want to test your SK3 depending on your expected usage.

EDIT: Placed a thicker metric o-ring out of my kit, and the light does well in the fully tightened and off positions. Just tested in a cup of water. Will retest in a few weeks.

Last edited:

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
I think they are pretty hardy, just not water-resistant :). I'm gonna try them with a few larger, nitrile, metric o-rings before ruling them fair weather only lights. I'll post here but that might be a few weeks off. The SK3 is the CR123 version.

peatytheamp

Newly Enlightened
Tip and Ring

Have you done any more testing?

I have been considering the Sk3, but I am not sure after your postings. If they are not IPX8 waterproof as they state, they would not be much use to me as my backup for spelunking and biking.

Has anyone else had any water entry issues?