Can anyone fix an original CMG Infinity?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this is the right thread, but it has to do with the old CMG LEDs.
I have a nice collection of colored CMGs, I have a red, green, white Ultra, blue, and amber.
The red and green were my reading lights, but both have finally failed, something I can't quite understand of a light that has been touted as "bombproof" for so many years. The green flickers as it's being tightened and never really comes on, making me think it's a contact issue some where. The red died after being dropped 3 feet off a bed to the floor. Seriously, it doesn't even light anymore. I just shook my head at it and gave it the finger... lol
These are my two most used and maybe favorite lights. Does anyone service these here on the forums, anymore?
I don't have much to pay for repairs at the moment, but am working on some sales threads, I have watches or a Eagletac I could trade or sell to fund the repairs.

Anyone willing to give me suggestions of offers? Please PM or post here.

EDIT-I added some solder to the middle of the green's + board, and it made it work at 50% now. The red is an older with - on the head. I smacked the outer crimp back onto the board with hammer and screw driver as well, to no effect in either.

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump for this problem. Anyone who thinks they can fix the red or both, let me know please.

bansuri

Enlightened
Pretty hard to open. I've got one I've been looking at for a long time trying to figure out a non-destructive method to open it. Might want to do a search for "CMG infinity mod".
If the negative connection is via the crimped edge it might have oxidized.
Maybe a couple drops of deoxit around the inside of the crimp.
Perhaps a few gentle taps to tighten the crimp connection.
Im just guessing though. Proceed with caution.

ragweed

Enlightened
They were good lights in their day but, better lights are out there now. My CMG also turned into toast. I believe Gerber still makes a more modern licensed copy of the CMG.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were good lights in their day but, better lights are out there now. My CMG also turned into toast. I believe Gerber still makes a more modern licensed copy of the CMG.

I don't think I can just send it in to Gerber anymore to be replaced, it looks like the Gerber colored LED Infinities are discontinued as well. I'll try the DeOxit, thanks for the suggestion!

nightshade

Enlightened
Omega, I can sympathize with the loss. I have seen many favored "bomb-proof" lights give up the ghost. Some with mundane use and a few with no use at all. Yet, I have a 1980's Tekna 2AA light that won't stop. Despite all the hoo-ha and speculation and fanboys (very guilty of that myself), all of these lights are prone to breaking. The CMG is repairable, but the cost easily outweighs the light, for most. I have replaced my non-functioning, colored, Arc and CMG's with Rigel Systems, Paklite and Photon Freedoms and not looked back. Many of these lights are not considered bomb-proof but have lived past their predecessors in the same environment.

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
I had one of those way back when. It was a great light, batt lasted forever. I would ask some of the flash light modders to take a look at it and see if they can get it back up and running probably better than original. what about getting an arc light or a peak?

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Matterhorn I wish I never sold, and 2 Arcs, which are more collectors than users. The reason I covet my red and green CMGs is they are my best/favorite/pretty much irreplacable reading lights. I save used AAs from everywhere, and use them to power these to read at night specifically because of the low output. These things were treated so gingerly, they were hung from a lanyard on my last 3 bedposts in the last 5 years. Not really taking any sort of beating whatsoever.
I'm considering just scrapping them if I can't mess with the crimps enough, and looking into a Gerber Recon. That may be my last bastion for a low power-long runtime-AA-light.
Unless there are any more suggestions? I'd accept the Rigels if they ran on AAs.
BTW, sweet Starbug avatar, smeg head!

nightshade

Enlightened
I had a Matterhorn I wish I never sold, and 2 Arcs, which are more collectors than users. The reason I covet my red and green CMGs is they are my best/favorite/pretty much irreplacable reading lights. I save used AAs from everywhere, and use them to power these to read at night specifically because of the low output. These things were treated so gingerly, they were hung from a lanyard on my last 3 bedposts in the last 5 years. Not really taking any sort of beating whatsoever.
I'm considering just scrapping them if I can't mess with the crimps enough, and looking into a Gerber Recon. That may be my last bastion for a low power-long runtime-AA-light.
Unless there are any more suggestions? I'd accept the Rigels if they ran on AAs.
BTW, sweet Starbug avatar, smeg head!

LOL, thanks Omega-give quiche a chance! The CMG IS repairable. Also, Curt with Peak can create a superb AA in any color. That would be much stronger than the mass produced CMG contacts. My favorite Cyan (true Cyan) is a custom Peak, bare AL, AA. The Photon Proton Pro is a AA with it's 3mm red led. The Zebralight Red H51r is really impressive and smooooooth beamed, but expensive. I sincerely hope that you find a fix or replacement that suits you.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is Peak taking orders again? I thought they'd put everything on hold while working on a government contract?