FIRST PROPER LIGHT MT26

skynyrds first

Newly Enlightened
My new light arrived today, first decent one. It's a nitecore mt26. Ok I've got nothing to compare it with, but I would say its very floody. If I place the hot spot 20 feet in front, the spill is about 20 foot wide on low setting. Brightness is as you would expect with 800lu excellent, but as I said, nothing else to compare it to. I had considered the klarus xt11, but it was £20 more and also the fenix pd32 but that was also about £5 dearer with a lot less light. On first impression I wish the mt26 would have a bit more throw in lieu of brightness. Would the pd32 have given me that? For walking the dog I find it ideal, which was the main criterea, the 25lu low setting adequate with the 78lu med setting not much brighter. It's a nice size light with what seems a decent build & finish, but I wish the head would click or something when you change mode. Overall I'm very pleased with my first light, but as you all say, I cant wait to get my next one. A throwy one maybe?:twothumbs

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup! throwy lights are cool! and its good to have a general light (floody) as well as one that can really throw. dont mistake the number of lumens as a measure of how far a light can throw, you have to base it on the lux (intensity of the light) the higher the lux, the more throw it can do. throwers usually start at about 10k lux (low/average throwers) to the great 50k and above (good throwers) and there are monster throwers at over 100k lux.

among the lights you mentioned, the PD32 would have been the best thrower of the three with its smaller led and relative size of head.

To start you off, there's a light which is not so expensive which has more than twice the throw of your MT26, the Crelant V9CS. has about 22k to 24k lux.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, just ot mention, the MT25 has a much better throw than the MT26. 9000 versus 13000 for the MT25.

If you want to be brand loyal, you could get the MT25.

The MT40 has a 33k lux, but in a much bigger format.

Last edited:

Big Sam

Newly Enlightened
Just got an MT26 in the other day. Very fine light. Compared to my year old TK-21 it is a lot whiter (not hard to do). It is smoother going from spot to flood and at 800 lumens simply puts out a LOT more light. I left it on turbo for about 10 minutes (not actually timed) and it never dropped power that I could tell. At first the means of changing intensity did not impress but in a short time I've come to appreciate the instant turbo. Not ideal but good. All in all it's a light I'll enjoy working with.

skynyrds first

Newly Enlightened
What would the fenix ld22 with the s2 led be like for throw? I know it's only a AA light, but would it actualy out throw the mt26?

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would the fenix ld22 with the s2 led be like for throw? I know it's only a AA light, but would it actualy out throw the mt26?

No way the LD22 S2 would throw further than a MT26. First of all the MT26 has a much bigger head which makes it more suited for throwing compared to the head of a standard 2xAA light like the LD22. Even with a smaller head and reflector, the MT26 would probably out-throw the LD22 by sheer brightness.
The side switch of the Fenix also takes up some space in the head probably making the throw of the LD/PD 12/22/32 average for their class too.
If you compare the Fenix specs on the LD20 R5 and LD22 S2 you'll see they are rated to have the same throw even though the LD22 now has an S2!

Last edited: