QBeam HID converstion/hack up quest

DutchR

Newly Enlightened
well- I have been wanting to make a BIG HID spotlight so i can spot pigs better..... so what better place to try and do it but here.

I have an old QBeam that finally died (element broke)..... so i bought some 100w HID kits from ebay, and want to graft it into this guy.....
its an older one, made in USA..... and says "200,000" candle power.

First off, i took it apart. obviously the factory switch will die a horrible death (although it has survived many years in the jeep in open enviroment conditions)..... so ill be putting a different switch in and a relay.

secondly, i found a part number off of the old bulb. a 4537QB..... a 4537 turns out to be a aircraft landing light type of bulb. and it is incredibly bright for what it is... but i want brighter :D

I bought a replacement QBeam from wallyworld that has a H3 bulb in it, and its supposed to be "2 million" candle power.... well, its terribly under powered compared to my older one.

so- one HID kit will be to hack this QBbeam up, the other one will drop into the other Qbeam (hopefully) pretty easily.

here are the specs on it.
http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/4537.html

can you guys decifer this a little for me and tell me what kind of bulb holder/lens type peice i need to buy so i can hold this H3 HID im going to use?

i guess i need a "par46" bulb holder (that hopefully!) has a H3 bulb holder on the back... or something close to it..... any ideas?

Ill post up pics and stuff when i get parts/suggestions/etc

Regards
DR

Last edited:

DutchR

Newly Enlightened
So if I can't find a 4537 bulb with an h3 hole, I need to find a 5 3/4" lens with a h3 bulb holder.

Would a projector lens be a good idea?

DutchR

Newly Enlightened
Miles of searching and having a good google-fu, I found a pencil beam lexan lens that is 6" and holds a h3 bulb. No reflector thingies in the way of the bulb, no crystal reflector backs...... Just a chrome reflector designed for long range.

should work out great!
if need be, I'm sure I can mod the lens and the qbeam housing to make it fit....