Attaching your flashlight to the bottom of your camera, good solutions?

yohandsome

Newly Enlightened
516vzZz56eL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IFO3M4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I was thinking something like this would work well, it's made for mounting cameras on handlebars :) It needs to hold the light close to the camera though, enabling you to operate the camera and the light simultaneously. Ideas?

fyrstormer

Banned
A 1/4" threaded stud, possibly made from a bolt with the head cut off, would allow a McGizmo light with a tripod-mount clip to attach to the tripod mount on the bottom of a camera. Conveniently, McGizmo has several Hi-CRI offerings at the moment.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw someone here use a gorillapod to hold a flashlight, I thought it was a rather clever solution myself. Another thought I had was attaching a threaded fitting and a hose clamp to the swiveling portion of a tripod for nighttime shots or macros.

yohandsome

Newly Enlightened
Nice! What mod did you do to it?

Cut of the top, then sanded down the pad with the screw to make it as thin as possible. Removed some material from the base and epoxied the pad with screw into it. Also sanded away some material from the lower part to make the light get closer to the camera body. A dremel and some epoxy is all you need :)

AFearlessBirdOfParadise

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this will work, but I'm thinking it could be as simple as a screw, or at worst a screw, a washer, and a screw adapter.

It would depend on the kind of belt clip you have on your light, but many have holes in them. If it's just the right size to let a 1/4 screw through, then you could just attach it by screwing the clip to the tripod hole in the bottom.

Worst case is the hole is too small to let a 1/4 screw thru. Then just use a smaller screw. Put the washer thru the screw, put those things thru the clip, and then use a screw adapter to screw it to the bottom of the camera.

I don't know if it would work well, and it would probably scratch things up, but I was just daydreaming.

Latest posts